Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625797 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16450 on: 03 August, 2023, 03:04:53 pm »
Location , location , location....    That's a nice flat,  I can afford it, but it's on the Wrong Side of the river  >:(     (Current issues with aging parents mean I don't want to increase the travel time between us.)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137528030

Nice. Makes prices in my area look mad. Anywhere for the bikes?
Indeed. That would perhaps buy a studio flat round here.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16451 on: 05 August, 2023, 12:10:00 pm »
My car insurance is up for renewal. 32% higher this year after 18% higher the year before. (I live in the same place, drive the same quite modest car, haven't had any accidents, or changed how I use the car, or become significantly older.) I've got better things to do with my time than shop around for insurance.

« Reply #16452 on: 05 August, 2023, 12:47:53 pm »
The railways and electronic ticketing. The idea of being able to get a ticket online then either print a barcode or load onto a reusable smart card directly from my phone rather than queuing at the station to pick up a piece of orange card is compelling, especially when I know I've got plenty of time at home or on the office to do that order, but will be tight on time at the station.

Except my success rate in London for either is about 50% on whether the gate will let me through. If it doesn't I have to try multiple barriers or go and find someone to be condescending ("I'll believe you this time" is what I've literally had said to me) as they open the barrier.

So give up and back to queuing for tickets at the orange cards tend to work.

« Reply #16453 on: 05 August, 2023, 12:56:11 pm »
Location , location , location....    That's a nice flat,  I can afford it, but it's on the Wrong Side of the river  >:(     (Current issues with aging parents mean I don't want to increase the travel time between us.)

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137528030

That's a lot of flat for the money! :o Or maybe I just need to move to Wallasey...

« Reply #16454 on: 05 August, 2023, 02:13:45 pm »
My car insurance is up for renewal. 32% higher this year after 18% higher the year before. (I live in the same place, drive the same quite modest car, haven't had any accidents, or changed how I use the car, or become significantly older.) I've got better things to do with my time than shop around for insurance.

Just use a comparison site, it’ll save your details easily enough for next year. I do it every year because of the arbitrary and considerable increase. Odd thing is mostly I seem to end up with the same underwriter (UK Insurance) but with a lower quote dependent on the branding.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #16455 on: 05 August, 2023, 02:28:20 pm »

Just use a comparison site, it’ll save your details easily enough for next year. I do it every year because of the arbitrary and considerable increase. Odd thing is mostly I seem to end up with the same underwriter (UK Insurance) but with a lower quote dependent on the branding.

Yes, that's what I've done - and got back to more or less what I paid this year. So Direct Line can do one.

« Reply #16456 on: 05 August, 2023, 02:59:34 pm »
We have an insurance broker around the corner from us.  They can get deals which are not online.

I'm quite pleased that real people still do this sort of thing.

« Reply #16457 on: 05 August, 2023, 03:44:54 pm »
The railways and electronic ticketing. The idea of being able to get a ticket online then either print a barcode or load onto a reusable smart card directly from my phone rather than queuing at the station to pick up a piece of orange card is compelling, especially when I know I've got plenty of time at home or on the office to do that order, but will be tight on time at the station.

Except my success rate in London for either is about 50% on whether the gate will let me through. If it doesn't I have to try multiple barriers or go and find someone to be condescending ("I'll believe you this time" is what I've literally had said to me) as they open the barrier.

So give up and back to queuing for tickets at the orange cards tend to work.

I have 100% success rate now, but it it took a while to figure out the optimum combination:

Buy the ticket in the app, not the website. A soon as payment is complete, click through a bunch of screens to get to "Add to Wallet". This means that from about 2 hours before the departure time, there's an icon on the phone's Home Screen which is handy, and when clicked it not only shows the QR code but ups the brightness for the scanner.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #16458 on: 05 August, 2023, 04:01:40 pm »
Passport renewals. So it takes 10 weeks (or can do). But you have immediately to surrender your existing passport - actually it has to be posted to reach the Passport office before they’ll start your application. Why, in these days of biometric passports, can we not keep our existing ones until such time as the new one is received, like ones credit cards? 

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16459 on: 05 August, 2023, 07:20:08 pm »
Quote from: rafletcher
Why, in these days of biometric passports, can we not keep our existing ones until such time as the new one is received, like ones credit cards?
Because that would be too fucking simple.  Anyway, they've probably got some old geezer stuck in a cupboard somewhere on an unbreakable contract or Royal charter who's paid a butt of Malmsey the five gross to clip the corner off your old one.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16460 on: 05 August, 2023, 08:56:50 pm »
O hai Waterstone's!

It used to be possible to order stuffs from your webby SCIENCE for collection from the nearest branch of your establishment.  And now, at least with the combination of the Michelin Road Atlas of North America (spiral bound) and your branch in Walthamstow, it isn’t.  And to get it posted will cost another three quid.  Sort it out u muppets!

Kthxbai!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16461 on: 05 August, 2023, 09:50:26 pm »
I have 100% success rate now, but it it took a while to figure out the optimum combination:

Buy the ticket in the app, not the website. A soon as payment is complete, click through a bunch of screens to get to "Add to Wallet". This means that from about 2 hours before the departure time, there's an icon on the phone's Home Screen which is handy, and when clicked it not only shows the QR code but ups the brightness for the scanner.

I buy on the app, but don't like to rely on a working phone hence printing or using the smart card (plus at Waterloo I see people struggling with phones and doing the same "try the next barrier" that I do with the card. I think some of the barriers just lose connectivity.
The cards should be more reliable than any optical system, and it does seem to recognise the card - it's the backend that seems to fail and it can't decide that there is something valid on it, even if the phone app (which is the same that the revenue protection team use) says it is ok.

Regardless, it's unfit for purpose.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16462 on: 06 August, 2023, 02:40:16 pm »
Do you know what grinds my gears in a most unseasonal fashion. No? Well I’ll tell you. Publicans and restauranteurs who neglect basic house maintenance. In particular those that do not oil the toilet door hinges. It’s bad enough that you are seated at the same end of the establishment as the toilets with no provision for patrons to access the same without them walking past your table whilst you are tucking in to an otherwise very good Sunday roast. But to have every entry and exit from said facilities heralded by the loud squeaking of the door hinges is beyond the pale.

Sort it out you doilies.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16463 on: 06 August, 2023, 03:13:01 pm »
Reminds me of Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #16464 on: 06 August, 2023, 06:52:36 pm »
The wife’s birthday shenanigans in London Town. Not a grumble, she had a good time, but endless beforehand to-and-fro about the dire weather predictions. Which came to naught, didn’t even need my trusty storm proof umbrella.

Then the trains, owing to the interminable industrial action, our last train home was about 5pm. So we relocated to Croydon in the basis we could Uber home later in the evening. Except no Ubers would pick up. Oh well, get the bus. Wait time >30 minutes (for a 10-12 minute service). Got a different bus to get a taxi from closer to home. No taxis available. Finally got the other bus; because of roadworks it’s operating in two parts. You might think that one part waits for the other to arrive to expeditiously transfer ongoing passengers but of course not. That admittedly was in our favour as it was ready to leave rather than wait 30 minutes for the other half. Got home eventually.

I may have ideas why night time economies are dying…

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16465 on: 08 August, 2023, 12:07:01 pm »
Bought a new phone the other day, Motorola G53, as the old one had a cracked screen then drowned at the weekend.

The phone has the capability for "Turbo Charging", so it can squeeze electrons in quicker, if it's fed them. 3A rather than the more normal 2A (ish).  The cheapskate scallywags only supplied a 2A chrger though.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16466 on: 08 August, 2023, 12:20:52 pm »
The phone has the capability for "Turbo Charging"

This is Motorolaspeak for QC something.  Probably 4 on something that new, which I think is starting to cross-pollinate with USB-C power delivery, for an even more confusing mess of standards than usual.

Given that it's a phone, it would probably only pull the full 3A for a couple of minutes with a really bat flattery,

« Reply #16467 on: 08 August, 2023, 01:30:05 pm »
The cheapskate scallywags only supplied a 2A chrger though.

You got a charger in the box?!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16468 on: 08 August, 2023, 01:37:19 pm »
The cheapskate scallywags only supplied a 2A chrger though.

You got a charger in the box?!
I know! Exciting, isn't it?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16469 on: 08 August, 2023, 01:52:00 pm »
The phone has the capability for "Turbo Charging"

This is Motorolaspeak for QC something.  Probably 4 on something that new, which I think is starting to cross-pollinate with USB-C power delivery, for an even more confusing mess of standards than usual.

Given that it's a phone, it would probably only pull the full 3A for a couple of minutes with a really bat flattery,
Great Scott on the YouTube they have now posted a video at the weekend detailing his adventures in testing QC and SC to see what impact it had on battery life. His conclusion was only use QC when you are in a hurry otherwise use a slower charge to prolong your battery life. Quick Charging Great Scott on YT
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16470 on: 09 August, 2023, 04:48:42 pm »
Go west from Wales and there is an island. The top end of it is Northern Ireland.

The rest is Ireland. Not Southern Ireland.

(this grumble is directed at my geographically challenged colleagues.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16471 on: 09 August, 2023, 05:13:24 pm »
Go west from Wales and there is an island. The top end of it is Northern Ireland.

The rest is Ireland. Not Southern Ireland.

(this grumble is directed at my geographically challenged colleagues.)
I'm reading Robert Fisk's history of Ireland in WW2 and it's full of references to 'Southern Ireland', all of them direct quotes from UK ministers at the time.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16472 on: 09 August, 2023, 06:55:52 pm »
I’d suggest it’s the Republic of Ireland, part of the island of Ireland, although in Irish it’s Eire, which is indeed Ireland, which is the name of both the island, and the Republic.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16473 on: 09 August, 2023, 09:06:19 pm »
“Ratbogies!” exclaimed Mr Larrington, on discovering that his current tin of wood painty-stuff is highly unlikely to last until the completion of the recommended three coats.  Of it.  This will at least mean I can give it a coat or two extra on the outside, and discover the route from the track round the Banbury Reservoir to the canal.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16474 on: 09 August, 2023, 11:39:39 pm »
Phone's borked. No internet connection when in Japan (calls worked), which was irritating, but Mrs B's phone was fine, & when fiddling with mine found that the relevant menu was almost completely missing.

Motorola says it's Vodafone's fault because the fucked bit is network settings. Vodafone says it's Motorola's fault because it's phone settings. I pointed out that if I put Mrs B's SIM in my phone it was much happier, but they want to see that in person. I'll have to borrow Mrs B's phone & take it to the local Vodafone shop.

Simultaneously, Virgin Media has blocked my email, apparently because of suspicious usage. They gave me instructions to recover them. Don't work. Blood from stones getting responses. Thy're vague about the suspicious use but prime among the possible causes was forwarding of suspicious emails. They would not say if forwarding dodgy mails to report@phishing.gov.uk, phishing@virginmedia.com or similar sites would arouse suspicion . . . .

It's secondary: my main mail is something else, & all the old mail I want is archived, but there are still some people who might not know my main email. Oh, & one of the Virgin addresses is my rescue address for my main mail.

They're now treating it as resolved because they've given me two sets of slightly different recovery instructions, neither of which works because I'm blocked from performing the required actions by the block which the procedure is supposed to remove . . . . Doh!

This is very, very irritating.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897