Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625533 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17150 on: 05 February, 2024, 01:57:18 pm »
Losing a single sock in the wash is just part of the unfathomable working of the universe.  Losing a jumper, otoh…  And it’s practically an antique too >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #17151 on: 05 February, 2024, 03:12:03 pm »
Grumble.
I bought some gorilla epoxy sold as 'sets in 5min'. Even says it on the tube.

Read instructions. It is workable for 5 min, initial set is 30min, cure is 24hrs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #17152 on: 05 February, 2024, 04:57:36 pm »
I thought the term was ‘rise’, not ‘drop’...
I think in tailoring terms "rise" is the measure on trousers at the front
OK - learned that today. As I measure that and the overall length from the top... Also measure across the hips and look at amount of material for the bum it's easier to measure the back.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #17153 on: 05 February, 2024, 07:00:04 pm »
Grumble.

Read instructions. It is workable for 5 min, initial set is 30min, cure is 24hrs.
Is that the 25ml for £9 job? I used one of those today and only just had enough. What happened to the toothpaste tube-sized portions they used to flog?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17154 on: 05 February, 2024, 09:36:32 pm »
I come home from the orifice just as Pingu's going out. I sit down and am bothered by a solventy smell. A couple of hours I sit there for, wondering what's been glueing, cleaning or otherwise, the pong is driving me mad.
Eventually I get up to do something and as I pass I spot the local free magazine in all it's shiny colour sitting on the cat tree! It's that! Bloody pongy printing.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17155 on: 05 February, 2024, 09:40:44 pm »
Bloody pongy printing.

I once wrote a Mrs Trellis letter to the editor of Bike Immunity Bi Community News complaining about that after they changed printing company.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17156 on: 06 February, 2024, 08:00:41 am »
I come home from the orifice just as Pingu's going out. I sit down and am bothered by a solventy smell. A couple of hours I sit there for, wondering what's been glueing, cleaning or otherwise, the pong is driving me mad.
Eventually I get up to do something and as I pass I spot the local free magazine in all it's shiny colour sitting on the cat tree! It's that! Bloody pongy printing.

It could have been the Audax mag (about which I have posted before, aroma-wise)

« Reply #17157 on: 06 February, 2024, 08:28:39 am »
Grumble.

Is that the 25ml for £9 job? I used one of those today and only just had enough. What happened to the toothpaste tube-sized portions they used to flog?

yes, in double syringe format.
I didn't pay £9 for it though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17158 on: 06 February, 2024, 09:55:17 am »
I bought some Araldite Rapid in the syringe format for work. The glue is absolutely fine, but unlike the picture on the RS website with the two syringes going to separate nozzles, then a little plastic stirrer to mix, it comes with swanky nozzles that do the mixing for you.

Very neat and easy to apply, with precise mixing and just put the end of the nozzle where you need it and squeeze the syringes evenly. But the nozzles fill with a fairly significant (compared to the tube size) volume of epoxy to mix it, and obviously the glue then sets inside so they are effectively single use.

You get two with the tube, and you can buy more at tens of pence each, but it makes the whole thing far more expensive and wasteful if, like me, you'll keep a set for several years using it occasionally for small jobs. I could easily lose more glue in the nozzles than I actually use.

For someone doing big or repeat assembly work in a commercial environment, I can see the advantage. As it is, at work I had two things to glue, but could only do one at a time, so both nozzles gone with about 1/4 of the glue used, the rest is useless until I buy more nozzles.

« Reply #17159 on: 06 February, 2024, 10:25:11 am »
I've found the old metal toothpaste tubes to be the best. No chance of accidental mixing, better control of amounts. Just storing them is a pain, as they very easily puncture.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17160 on: 06 February, 2024, 11:51:42 am »
I found the older syringes better, due to the puncturing problem with metal tubes - I ended up binning too many of them due to that failure, and making a mess of wherever they were stored.

« Reply #17161 on: 06 February, 2024, 12:50:59 pm »
I have a toolbox with segmented trays that generally keeps glue separate.  And I agree, the mixing nozzles are profligate.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #17162 on: 06 February, 2024, 01:11:09 pm »
I’m hovering between a grumble and a rant for this one, but here we are.

Bloody train operators decided to cancel the final train on the last leg of a three train journey some time in the fortnight between when we bought the tickets and when we travelled. This resulted in the connection time increasing from an already long 50 minutes to an excessive 1:50 minutes. 

They won’t honour the delay repay because they decided to cancel the train by removing it from the timetable. Bastards.

The ‘new’ timetable now makes the journey by train impractical.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17163 on: 06 February, 2024, 02:03:55 pm »
Arsebiscuits  :demon: There was a power cut in Furryboottoon this arvo for nearly 1.5 hours. Afterwards the Squeezebox wouldn't power up, but there was a faint red light visible in the digiital socket. A quick look on a FISE indicates this may be due to a b0rked power supply. Cheap replacement ordered from the Mega-Global Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia. We'll see how that goes.

And, 3-2-1, we're back in the room  :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #17164 on: 06 February, 2024, 09:06:42 pm »
I like the way that they installed electronic signs to tell you when the lifts are broken.  Sort of thing that makes you proud to be BRITISH.

They'd save on electricity if the signs told you, instead, which lifts weren't broken.

I've certainly carried a fully laden bicycle up and down those stairs enough times over the years.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #17165 on: 06 February, 2024, 09:22:30 pm »
I like the way that they installed electronic signs to tell you when the lifts are broken.  Sort of thing that makes you proud to be BRITISH.

They'd save on electricity if the signs told you, instead, which lifts weren't broken.

So far this year at various times some signs told you the lift was in service when it wasn't, some said correctly that the lift was out of service and the sign at the south end of the Greenwich tunnel was "out of service" when actually the adjacent lift wasn't!

The status of the lifts on the Greenwich council website appears to be a snapshot from Jan 10th, so that is not very useful either.

ian

« Reply #17166 on: 06 February, 2024, 09:52:17 pm »
One of the many marvels of modern life is that it's not just the lifts that don't work, the things that are supposed to tell us if the lifts are working or not don't work.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17167 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:48:27 am »
Otis regrets.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #17168 on: 07 February, 2024, 10:23:20 am »
That'll be on Schindler's list...
Wombat

« Reply #17169 on: 07 February, 2024, 06:34:11 pm »
Oh I can't be bothered to write down all I have to grumble about anymore.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #17170 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:58:42 pm »
That was exciting. Oven door just went bang. :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17171 on: 07 February, 2024, 09:27:11 pm »
That was exciting. Oven door just went bang. :o

I didn't realise they could do that...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17172 on: 07 February, 2024, 09:28:36 pm »
Eek
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #17173 on: 07 February, 2024, 09:29:35 pm »
Moar information required.  Don't leave us in suspenders.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17174 on: 07 February, 2024, 10:05:09 pm »
Ours did that, two ovens ago. I remember that the door was open at the time but not why – either we were just about to take something out or maybe putting some baking trays, empty, in there. It wasn't at the start of cooking or midway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.