Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 166683 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Didcot
« Reply #975 on: 14 January, 2022, 04:30:42 pm »
According to the traffic news Didcot is “blocked both ends”.

« Reply #976 on: 14 January, 2022, 05:16:31 pm »
Made the mistake of cycling back through Didcot this pm.   

Smog over Didcot...     (from a rather good Hagbourne Hill viewpoint)

PXL_hagbhill by a oxon, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #977 on: 14 January, 2022, 05:56:25 pm »
Smog over Didcot,
A fire in the Daily Mail print works.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #978 on: 14 January, 2022, 07:08:27 pm »

(from a rather good Hagbourne Hill viewpoint)

Ooh that vantage point brings back so many memories. First and foremost aged 8 or 9, escaping the streets of Didcot in the early 60's to ride our bikes (3 speeds for us lucky ones) and realising the world was way larger and more beautiful ;D

Didcot and life seem a bit different now

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #979 on: 14 January, 2022, 07:46:04 pm »
Sustrans 544?  Ride that section a lot, and the new-ish Icknield Way bit to Ardington has built a nice little loop for this season when Ridgeway itself is rather gloopy in parts.

Btw Daily Heil exited some years back...

« Reply #980 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:07:15 pm »
Yes, NCN544 here.  Last time I was up there surveying Didcot & surrounds, I managed to put my shoe down into doggy-do, and spend the next bit towards Harwell using puddles to try and get it out from around the cleat  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #981 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:38:55 pm »
Is Chilton Road out of Upton village still closed to motor traffic?

« Reply #982 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:56:27 pm »
Yes. No through road.  The lower section from A417, Upton is very quiet - 'access only', leading to the upper section between the concrete barricades - traffic free.

orraloon

« Reply #983 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:10:33 pm »
OCC did a 'consultation' and despite the obligatory whining petrolheads, the closure to motoriseds is approved.  Assume sometime they'll replace the cones, signs and barriers with proper infrastructure.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #984 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:12:34 pm »
When I encountered it last summer, there was a cat sunning itself in the middle of the otherwise deserted road.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #985 on: 14 January, 2022, 10:16:29 pm »
This x4 vid clip gives an idea of the traffic on the B-road from A417 to Chilton/A34 onna Fri pm, at the closed road intersection. Vehicles coming fast over the hill, with sun behind.

Hagb Hill x4 vid by a oxon, on Flickr

and...  Didcot.

Didnot by a oxon, on Flickr

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #986 on: 15 January, 2022, 06:26:41 pm »
Yes, NCN544 here.  Last time I was up there surveying Didcot & surrounds, I managed to put my shoe down into doggy-do, and spend the next bit towards Harwell using puddles to try and get it out from around the cleat  :facepalm:
Sorry about that. Didcot lagging behind rest of UK as usual: I love it when I escape to places with no dog turds.

;-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #987 on: 14 May, 2022, 07:07:16 pm »

If my memory serves me well - this postbox is outside the Post Office on the Broadway

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #988 on: 15 May, 2022, 05:00:52 pm »
I have to go to Didcot soon as my mate is picking up a new bike from Oxford Bike Works and wants me to ride back with him, presumably for moral and mechanical support.  This will involve me riding from the station to Steventon.  I think I'll go via Harwell village, because the obvious route is horrible.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #989 on: 16 May, 2022, 09:41:16 pm »
Yes, not much further.  I tend to avoid the Milton Interchange as far possible, whether on bike or in car.

A4185 (Milton Hill) can be a bit busy depending on time of day.

orraloon

« Reply #990 on: 17 May, 2022, 09:43:07 pm »
Or take the NCN5 cycleway route round the power station site to Sutton Courtenay, then to Drayton to Steventon?

rogerzilla

« Reply #991 on: 18 May, 2022, 08:47:08 am »
I generally avoid anything marked NCN, for fear of it turning into an unsurfaced track or a quagmire.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #992 on: 18 May, 2022, 12:12:24 pm »
I generally avoid anything marked NCN, for fear of it turning into an unsurfaced track or a quagmire.

That's a little unfair, some NCN routes are on perfectly good roads.  Over gratuitous hills.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #993 on: 18 May, 2022, 06:33:50 pm »
Or take the NCN5 cycleway route round the power station site to Sutton Courtenay, then to Drayton to Steventon?
Yes, that would be my advice!

There is also a delightful track between Steventon and Milton village, but if it's rained a lot it becomes a stream (but with a hard bed!). That avoids the Drayton-S'ton road, which ain't great.

Might be able to meet you for a beer Rog - or sneak a look at these mythical bikeworks on my doorstep!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

orraloon

« Reply #994 on: 18 May, 2022, 07:08:20 pm »
 Bar a 100m or so potholed section at the edge of Sutton Courtenay, rest of the Hanson Way round the power station is v good track.

rogerzilla

« Reply #995 on: 19 May, 2022, 04:25:58 pm »
Yes, that would be my advice!

There is also a delightful track between Steventon and Milton village, but if it's rained a lot it becomes a stream (but with a hard bed!). That avoids the Drayton-S'ton road, which ain't great.

Might be able to meet you for a beer Rog - or sneak a look at these mythical bikeworks on my doorstep!
That would be good.  I have always wanted to see the famous DOG KILLER LIVES HERE of Didcot, too.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #996 on: 15 November, 2023, 10:53:49 pm »
Didcot was light and airy today, with a smattering of train spotters. By the look in their eyes and their chippy demeanour there's something big going down in Didcot today.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1724450388726718488?t=MRmyoHz87boyeXJ-rVwkvQ&s=19
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #997 on: 04 January, 2024, 10:26:38 am »
Last night I went to an open mic event at which a bloke sang an REM-tinged song of his own composition, in which the phrase "Temple Meads" was immediately followed by "Didcot Parkway". The song was called "The crushing train".

« Reply #998 on: 04 January, 2024, 04:17:55 pm »

If my memory serves me well - this postbox is outside the Post Office on the Broadway

The towers where the "smoke" would have come from, were cooling towers. It is actually water vapour, not smoke. Yep, clouds are made of it.   
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"