Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 167343 times)

Re: Didcot
« Reply #625 on: 24 April, 2014, 06:13:51 pm »
Word has it that in some of the restaurants in Didcot the service is poor atm following this...
http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/11062812.Illegal_workers_held_after_restaurant_raids/?ref=mr

4mls from Didcot (in Long Wittenham) is http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g504077-d2008553-Reviews-The_Vine_and_Spice-Abingdon_Oxfordshire_England.html

Supposed to be the best the best curry house in the Vale... described as being in Abingdon (though nearer to Didcot. ;)). Slightly on the pricey side though.  Food Hygiene R of 5/5.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #626 on: 25 April, 2014, 07:13:06 am »
Ah, thanks Andy: you've reminded me about something at work yesterday.

A colleague's wife received astonishingly rude service from one of the Abingdon places after ordering a take-away. I'll try to confirm which one it was ... EDIT: forgot to ask, but I'm fairly sure it was Dil-Raj.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #627 on: 25 April, 2014, 01:20:33 pm »
Dil Raj in Abingdon is the best curry house in Oxfordshire (probably).

I know Abingdon would LIKE to be called part of Didcot, but it ain't yet  ;D

I might have to report you to the Mods for such slander!

« Reply #628 on: 25 April, 2014, 01:21:38 pm »
Word has it that in some of the restaurants in Didcot the service is poor atm following this...
http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/11062812.Illegal_workers_held_after_restaurant_raids/?ref=mr

4mls from Didcot (in Long Wittenham) is http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g504077-d2008553-Reviews-The_Vine_and_Spice-Abingdon_Oxfordshire_England.html

Supposed to be the best the best curry house in the Vale... described as being in Abingdon (though nearer to Didcot. ;)). Slightly on the pricey side though.  Food Hygiene R of 5/5.

Similar arrests in some Abingdon eateries as well a few weeks back.

« Reply #629 on: 30 April, 2014, 11:14:41 pm »
eeeeuuuh  Tankers called in to bail out pumping station

“About 500 homes have been built at Great Western Park so far and as I understand it the homes have been linked to the existing sewerage system for the town...' 

Nothing like some good infrastructure planning... in the midst of the developer's gold rush.   ::-)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #630 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:25:06 pm »
Great Western Park is not my favourite place at the mo! See also:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=68483.msg1676617#msg1676617

For Jaded: It's pissing down at the mo. I think this rain was forecast to stay a few miles south. Well they were wrong!

Has anyone mentioned the double-decker bike racks? I've been to look but have no idea how they work!
And there's a massive new sculpture in the town centre. Odd, but not unpleasant.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #631 on: 01 May, 2014, 09:33:22 pm »
Went to the pub in Steventon in the end.  Picked the rougher one of the two next door to each other.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #632 on: 01 May, 2014, 10:09:32 pm »
Went to the pub in Steventon in the end.  Picked the rougher one of the two next door to each other.
You live a dangerous life ...

« Reply #633 on: 04 May, 2014, 11:29:08 am »

Not been to the Fox or Cherry tree for a while.  Colleagues tend to favour the somewhat souless, car park-surrounded, opposite-the-station, Prince of Wales in Didcot, so they can get ratted and stagger home... 

« Reply #634 on: 04 May, 2014, 04:03:03 pm »

.... somewhat souless, car park-surrounded, opposite-the-station, Prince of Wales in Didcot, so they can get ratted and stagger home...
You say that like it's a bad thing!

« Reply #635 on: 04 May, 2014, 07:19:45 pm »

.... somewhat souless, car park-surrounded, opposite-the-station, Prince of Wales in Didcot, so they can get ratted and stagger home...

I somehow seem to be driving, and on one half a pint, and orange juice...    ;)  This last time they were chucking Jager-bomb plastic containers at each other...  :P

« Reply #636 on: 04 May, 2014, 11:36:19 pm »

I somehow seem to be driving, and on one half a pint, and orange juice...    ;)  This last time they were chucking Jager-bomb plastic containers at each other...  :P
Peasants!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #637 on: 05 May, 2014, 08:38:32 pm »
Was on the Arena programme on Spitting Image. I know it was a long time ago, but that's what time shifting is for.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #638 on: 07 May, 2014, 09:55:53 am »
That's the best of the day gone.

...the grey clouds start.

Didcot Parkway.

Where the Engine of Hope meets the Buffers of Despair.

« Reply #639 on: 07 May, 2014, 11:14:05 am »
Off to Didcot for a curry tonight.  Wish me luck.   ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #640 on: 07 May, 2014, 10:53:09 pm »
Had one at The Blue Spice in Steventon tonight (no complaints) or might have seen you.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #641 on: 07 May, 2014, 11:14:54 pm »
We were at Indian Dream.  Cobra on tap, service was good (not busy though), food was fine - no complaints either.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #642 on: 08 May, 2014, 09:02:52 am »
1) Animal, vegetable or mineral?  Mostly the last two.
2) Is it grey? Yes
3) Is it dull? Yes
4) Are there dancing girls with pompoms and glorious smiles? No
5) Is it Wolverhampton? No.
15 questions left.
6) Does it stand in splendour dominating its countryside? No
7) Does it sit brooding, like an over fed, scabby sharpei, scaring little children and causing fits in pensioners? Yes
It's Didcot, isn't it! Yes.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #643 on: 08 May, 2014, 09:05:50 am »
A friend of mine's daughter lives in Didcot.

I have nothing else to add.

I'm sorry.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #644 on: 24 May, 2014, 08:37:09 am »
I shall be in Harwell (which Apple Maps considers to be part of Didcot) this weekend.
Are there any precautions (apart from not going) I should take?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #645 on: 24 May, 2014, 09:17:59 am »
I shall be in Harwell (which Apple Maps considers to be part of Didcot) this weekend.

You should be OK, as Harwell's the right side of the A34, other than that from looking out of the window I'd suggest bringing a liferaft.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #646 on: 24 May, 2014, 11:51:10 am »

You should be OK, as Harwell's the right side of the A34, other than that from looking out of the window I'd suggest bringing a liferaft.
Acksherly ...
I received a big lecture once about how Harwell spans  both sides of the A34.

Be sure not to upset them, Steve!

[Sun now shining on Didcot - as usual  :smug: ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #647 on: 24 May, 2014, 12:14:37 pm »

The White Hart (Now the Hart at harwell) use to do a good steak & ale pie, but I haven't been for a few years now...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #648 on: 24 May, 2014, 01:56:47 pm »
Didcot was dull and grey both times yesterday.

So I didn't comment.

« Reply #649 on: 24 May, 2014, 04:24:52 pm »
Didcot was dull and grey both times yesterday.

So I didn't comment.
... until now ....