Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888039 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22950 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:08:21 pm »
Formerly posted these photos eleswhere, but I went 3 miles along the A303 on Saturday. Ridiculously quiet.
I did a 27 mile shopping trip on Sunday (the joys of living in a rural area), which involved my heavy old city bike, 5kg of shopping, and a steep old bastard of a hill. Oh, and a headwind, if that wasn't bad enough! Then there was the return leg with 10kg - I think that's the first time that bike has hit 40 mph.  :o
And today, I grabbed some veloviewer tiles (ridiculously close to home), while also marking the milestone of having cycled the entire length of the A30 between Sherborne and Shaftesbury.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22951 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:51:02 am »
The old duffers in the local CTC are bending the rules about as far as they'll bend.  Cycling will probably be banned because (a) few people will complain - everyone hates us - and (b) it looks as if something is being done.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22952 on: 31 March, 2020, 08:17:55 am »
About 1.5 hours road riding with HK around dusk yesterday involved sighting three other cyclists. Picked up a takeaway from a local Lebanese restaurant on the way home. Hopefully they’ll get through this.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22953 on: 31 March, 2020, 09:02:09 am »
About 1.5 hours road riding with HK around dusk yesterday involved sighting three other cyclists. Picked up a takeaway from a local Lebanese restaurant on the way home. Hopefully they’ll get through this.

What precautions do they take? My local pharmacy has built a kind of cubicle so only one person at a time enters and there are no doors to touch. They push the prescription through a kind of hatch.

When I visited Halford to collect the turbo trainer they'd stuck a make shift counter in the doorway to stop customers and do the transaction. Assistant and customer did not use the counter at the same time.

It's also been reported that the virus can travel airborne through droplets called 'aersols'.  These can remain aloft for significant time.
Move Faster and Bake Things

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22954 on: 31 March, 2020, 09:56:47 am »
This restaurant is currently lower key than that but I suggested they up their game, to protect both their customers and themselves. We'll see how they go.

« Reply #22955 on: 31 March, 2020, 10:18:02 am »
... Cycling will probably be banned because (a) few people will complain - everyone hates us - and (b) it looks as if something is being done.

I think this will be the case

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22956 on: 31 March, 2020, 10:39:13 am »
I've done some take away deliveries on the bike recently.

With most of them I knock on the window, show the order number through it, and the staffer comes out, puts it on the ground, and closes the door. I then stick it in the bag and fuck off.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

bairn again

« Reply #22957 on: 31 March, 2020, 11:07:17 am »
... Cycling will probably be banned because (a) few people will complain - everyone hates us - and (b) it looks as if something is being done.

I think this will be the case

So do I.  Were an easy target to "other". 

« Reply #22958 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:04:16 pm »

Peter for someone who doesn’t mind disagreement you are spending an awful lot of time pretending your opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.  Just accept you have an opinion, that is all. You are neither right nor wrong. It’s just your opinion on what you personally will do with your interpretation of the guidance. Others have different opinions.

I could tell you to spend no more than 5 minutes exercising outside your property and it would be no more correct than your arbitrary 30 min figure plucked out the air.

Perhaps if you got out for a bit longer each day you wouldn’t spend so much time on here trying to prove you are right when no such proof is possible.

5 x 30 minutes a week has been a "health mantra" for general fitness and heart health for years.  So, not "plucked out (of) the air" air at all.  It was in fact reiterated by a medic interviewed on the BBC News just minutes before my first post on this topic.  I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this, but happy to help.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22959 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:32:49 pm »
I'm seeing much increased numbers of non-sporty cycling both for utility and exercise in a small area immediately around home. By "non-sporty exercise" I mean people wearing casual clothes, not using GPS and computers and stuff and just smiling around, usually in what are obviously family groups (parents and kids or couples).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22960 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:49:58 pm »
That's happening round here, too, Cudzo.  Let's hope we don't get banned!

Davef

« Reply #22961 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:52:12 pm »

What precautions do they take? My local pharmacy has built a kind of cubicle so only one person at a time enters and there are no doors to touch. They push the prescription through a kind of hatch.

When I visited Halford to collect the turbo trainer they'd stuck a make shift counter in the doorway to stop customers and do the transaction. Assistant and customer did not use the counter at the same time.

It's also been reported that the virus can travel airborne through droplets called 'aersols'.  These can remain aloft for significant time.
Aerosol just means tiny droplets suspended in the air (as in aerosol deodorants). This does not happen naturally with this and has only been seen in hospital wards where ventilators or other pressurised oxygen delivery systems are used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #22962 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:53:18 pm »
Cycling will probably be banned because (a) few people will complain - everyone hates us - and (b) it looks as if something is being done.

It makes no sense to ban cycling unless you simultaneously ban walking outdoors, or indeed any form of transport whatsoever.

bludger

« Reply #22963 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:57:25 pm »
There is going to be a life after the illness. If we don't take our opportunity to popularise and normalise cycling now we are consigning thousands of people if not more to death and maiming by motorist crashes and lifestyle illness

Ban cars.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #22964 on: 31 March, 2020, 01:03:05 pm »
managing to pop out for about 40km a day, at the mo.

Davef

« Reply #22965 on: 31 March, 2020, 01:12:10 pm »

Peter for someone who doesn’t mind disagreement you are spending an awful lot of time pretending your opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.  Just accept you have an opinion, that is all. You are neither right nor wrong. It’s just your opinion on what you personally will do with your interpretation of the guidance. Others have different opinions.

I could tell you to spend no more than 5 minutes exercising outside your property and it would be no more correct than your arbitrary 30 min figure plucked out the air.

Perhaps if you got out for a bit longer each day you wouldn’t spend so much time on here trying to prove you are right when no such proof is possible.

5 x 30 minutes a week has been a "health mantra" for general fitness and heart health for years.  So, not "plucked out (of) the air" air at all.  It was in fact reiterated by a medic interviewed on the BBC News just minutes before my first post on this topic.  I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this, but happy to help.
And the average height of a male is 175cm and rda is 2500 calories so even if 30 minutes was a good average it is not necessarily a good maximum.

You should be exercising (and making lifestyle improvements) as if to prepare for a major operation. If you can improve your cardiovascular fitness in half an hour of non intense exercise five times per week then that is what you should do. If you want to time limit your exercise running is probably a better option.

I don’t believe you should be hiit training on a bike or probably at all at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #22966 on: 31 March, 2020, 01:29:25 pm »
Dave, what is HIIT, please?

Edit:  OK, I worked it out, thanks!

« Reply #22967 on: 31 March, 2020, 01:45:02 pm »
Cycling will probably be banned because (a) few people will complain - everyone hates us - and (b) it looks as if something is being done.

It makes no sense to ban cycling unless you simultaneously ban walking outdoors, or indeed any form of transport whatsoever.

And my sister, in Spain, is in that situation, other than trips to shops/doctors etc. NO possibility of general outside exercise. She's 73 and lives in an apartment, so the balcony is as far as she gets most days.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Phil W

« Reply #22968 on: 31 March, 2020, 01:45:28 pm »
Dave, what is HIIT, please?

Edit:  OK, I worked it out, thanks!

Surprised you didn’t know that! ::-)

Phil W

« Reply #22969 on: 31 March, 2020, 01:54:50 pm »

Based on an old very limited study of operations and a very slight improvement of outcome over that of a previously sedentary person aka couch potato.  It’s a bare minimum target for people used to sitting on their arses.  The 30 mins was plucked out the air as a simple figure for sedentary people to aim for as it was thought longer and they’d think it was too much and not do any exercise at all. It’s not a recommendation to reduce your exercise to that level. God forbid any of us should exceed it.

You spend two days a week never leaving your house if you want. The rest of us are going out each day for exercise within the law and maintaining significantly more spacing than the 2 metres. Sounds sensible.

As you inferred above, it’s not about what Peter wants.

P.S. If you want another manta aka sacred utterance aka belief aka faith then come back with the science and evidence underpinning 5 a day fruits and vegetables and why it’s not 4 or 6 or even 10.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22970 on: 31 March, 2020, 02:07:36 pm »
When I joined Slimming World about 18 months ago I found that there were "fitness awards" available. These were based on a minimal amount of exercsie and were clearly designed to get people to actually do something other than sit in front of the telly all day / do a sedentary office job and the like.

Platinum
For life-long Body Magic! When active living is a lifestyle
Gold
10 x 15 minutes or 5 x 30 minutes per week maintained for 8 weeks
Silver
6 x 15 minutes or 3 x 30 minutes per week maintained for 4 weeks
Bronze award
45 minutes per week (spread over at least 3 sessions) maintained for 4 weeks

From https://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/health/how-sw-works/body-magic.aspx

That's derisory. Also, SW members tend to keep their records in their books. None of that is published in the book (at least, I couldn't find it when I looked just now). It only seems to be available online and from memory (I can't log in now because my membership as lapsed) it's not immediately obvious how to find the info.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bludger

« Reply #22971 on: 31 March, 2020, 02:19:35 pm »

And my sister, in Spain, is in that situation, other than trips to shops/doctors etc. NO possibility of general outside exercise. She's 73 and lives in an apartment, so the balcony is as far as she gets most days.
Honestly unless there is some kind of government coup, there is no way that is happening here. Johnson will do absolutely anything to keep from going down in history as the man who locked Brits inside their homes. It completely undermines his species of politics of 'small government' (i.e. letting plutocrat scum get away with what they want).

Ban cars.

Phil W

« Reply #22972 on: 31 March, 2020, 02:33:34 pm »

Never had Lebanese food what’s the nearest to it?  I have Greek and Turkish food but no idea if similar.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22973 on: 31 March, 2020, 02:42:09 pm »
There are big overlaps between Turkish, Lebanese, Greek, Israeli and other cuisines in that part of the world - moussaka, falafel, hummus, kebap/b and so on. Tasty and quite a few gluten-free/ vege options for HK. There are regional differences of course - coffee/ tea is the most obvious.

Phil W

« Reply #22974 on: 31 March, 2020, 02:55:21 pm »
There are big overlaps between Turkish, Lebanese, Greek, Israeli and other cuisines in that part of the world - moussaka, falafel, hummus, kebap/b and so on. Tasty and quite a few gluten-free/ vege options for HK. There are regional differences of course - coffee/ tea is the most obvious.

Sounds like I’ll like it then.