Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3815084 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22900 on: 21 March, 2020, 03:02:31 pm »
ICBA in this wind (I'll get on the turbo later as my cheapo heart monitor has turned up) but there were lots of cyclists out when I went over to my parents' house*.

*to be precise, within shouting distance of the front door, as they're 74 and 82.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #22901 on: 21 March, 2020, 03:20:15 pm »
About 40 miles, in the sunshine, on the road bike. Howling tailwind back through the Harlseys, lovely.

« Reply #22902 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:41:11 pm »
~150km in the Peak district. South from Sheffield down past Chatsworth and on towards Ilam, that area is super scenic. Then back north via Tideswell. Passed through Eyam which I felt was ironic/poignant given the current circumstance and up through Grindleford back into Sheffield.

Bloody good day, lots of climbing and scenery.

« Reply #22903 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:10:27 am »
28 miles down to Bathurst Arms pub near Cirencester (no, I didn't go in) and did a R T
onto the A435 back to the Centre for the Cotswolds. 470 metres of climbing.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #22904 on: 22 March, 2020, 12:11:19 pm »
28 miles down to Bathurst Arms pub near Cirencester (no, I didn't go in) and did a R T
onto the A435 back to the Centre for the Cotswolds. 470 metres of climbing.

The Bathurst is run by friends of mine who used to run my local in deepest rural Essex (The Henny Swan). Once all this is over, and if I've managed to survive unscathed and solvent, I will go down and visit. Possibly even by bike!

« Reply #22905 on: 22 March, 2020, 03:02:06 pm »
Out over Saddleworth today - cold to start with but glorious sunshine. Lots of motorcycles out, singly and in packs. Shooting range above Meltham busy.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #22906 on: 24 March, 2020, 09:16:53 am »
Went out for an hour just before sunset, nice temperature and very quiet streets. Got in the door, my phone went and it was the NHS 'stay at home for 12 weeks' text. Fun while it lasted!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #22907 on: 24 March, 2020, 02:43:06 pm »
Cycled to the pharmacy for Mrs A's repeat prescription like wot I normally do.  It now shuts for lunch and had a queue outside, so I did a an extra circuit and the queue had hardly moved.  I was pleased that it was a one-in-one-out system but I decided to try another day since she still has a weeks worth in hand.  Nice to have a short run on amazingly quiet roads. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

TimC

« Reply #22908 on: 24 March, 2020, 04:41:38 pm »
I went out for a short ride and passed through the local small town. The town was quiet, including the Co-op and Boots, and the out-of-town Morrison's was also quiet. The by-pass was fairly busy, with a surprising number of multiple-occupancy cars, but I have no idea where they were going to or coming from. Quite a few people out walking and more bike riders than I'd normally expect on a weekday, but that's not saying much. I probably saw a person every two miles or so. No-one was acknowledging anyone else, for the most part, but I did get a very cheery 'hello' from one lady runner.

I am very glad that I live in an area of the countryside where houses are rare and people keep themselves to themselves even under normal circumstances.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #22909 on: 24 March, 2020, 05:10:33 pm »
Work has shut down, so after some chores went for a little trike loop around local back lanes, Stone Creek and East Bank road for about 18 miles.
Nice sun, though a breeze blowing; saw my first butterfly of this year, and a couple of buzzards soaring. Traffic pretty light as noted by others, a few walkers out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22910 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:36:37 pm »
First ride in short sleeves, mitts and 3/4s.   :thumbsup:

More muggle cyclists today.  Sensible queueueing outside shops.  Fewer walkers, who seemed to be in ones and twos (plus dogs) rather than larger groups.  Still quite a lot of people driving around, but less traffic than you'd expect on a Sunday.  Standing at the end of your driveway (or on the pavement outside your house) fiddling with a phone appears to have become a thing.

What really struck me was a busker playing a cora on King[']s Heath high street.  Without amplification.  They're not a particularly loud instrument.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22911 on: 24 March, 2020, 08:17:37 pm »
What really struck me was a busker playing a cora on King[']s Heath high street.  Without amplification.  They're not a particularly loud instrument.
When I rule the world, there will always be a busker on the high street. But only some will play the cora.

I only managed a couple of short walks around the immediate neighbourhood, but the sunshine did me good and I saw more skateboarders than cars.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Phil W

« Reply #22912 on: 24 March, 2020, 09:14:41 pm »
Just over an hour in the lanes with my wife.  Lovely light and sunset and last 20 minutes returning in the encroaching dusk.

« Reply #22913 on: 25 March, 2020, 02:21:01 pm »
Took the bike trailer to Tescies to top up.   Long, long queue so I went away to come back another day. 

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22914 on: 25 March, 2020, 02:29:31 pm »
Not yet. I will deliver mutual aid leaflets a little later. Will then do a short ride on a local hill loop with my #mindthegap number sheet on.

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #22915 on: 26 March, 2020, 10:33:27 am »
Cycled to the pharmacy for Mrs A's repeat prescription like wot I normally do.  Take 2.

This time a queue of three so I waited.  It still took ages as they seem to be very busy making little packages of something other than prescriptions.  The person in front of me wanted paracetamol and voltarol but it still took a while to find them.

Social distancing:  8/10.

Mrs A grows increasingly concerned I am not keeping far enough away from people on my outings.

« Reply #22916 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:06:47 pm »
was out yesterday. 21.1 deg C on the Garmin. S-sleeves, shorts, no mitts. Few cars about but people in them speeding/on phones. Shops calm and 1 in/out and stuff on the shelves because of limits

« Reply #22917 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:59:46 pm »
About 8km into town with the trailer to collect my new turbo trainer. Weighs 20kg so just getting it home was a good workout with a brisk headwind.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #22918 on: 29 March, 2020, 03:26:58 pm »
About 5 miles through the town and back along the canal towpath.  Lots of cars near supermarkets and their car parks are jammed full.  Town otherwise is deadly quiet.  A lot of people on the tow path - dog walkers and bikes - apart from one idiot on a moped with no helmet.  Most people being very careful about 6 feet gap. Incredibly windy and COLD!
Advena ego sum in Terra

bairn again

« Reply #22919 on: 29 March, 2020, 03:29:52 pm »
A very leisurely 48km on the still new tandem , never more than about 10k from home. 

Corstorphine - Cramond Brig - Winchburgh - ridge road to Kingscavil - Philipstoun - Abercorn - Kirkliston - Cramond Brig - home. 

Stokers effort seemed to vary wildly, Im sure she said the same about me.  We are clearly still novices at this game. 

Fun though, and the lack of traffic even mean that the normally hideous mile or so on the A904 was a pleasure to ride.  Definitely some advantages to this situation. 

Lovely post ride lunch of Cheese n tomato omelette with a couple of warm tattie scones on the side.  Rare as they say in Glasgow.   :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #22920 on: 29 March, 2020, 03:51:30 pm »
60k loop with Mrs. F.
Roads very quiet.

AWPR near Netherly:

AWPR by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

TimC

« Reply #22921 on: 29 March, 2020, 05:03:53 pm »
It has been explicitly stated today during the Q&A on the daily Gov C19 brief that our exercise should be limited to 'about an hour a day'.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22922 on: 29 March, 2020, 05:07:10 pm »
He can fuck off! This government has been talking shit for ages and Gove tells bigger lies than most of them.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22923 on: 29 March, 2020, 05:14:11 pm »
He can fuck off! This government has been talking shit for ages and Gove tells bigger lies than most of them.
Quite.
We have been working on the allotment (which is apparently a permitted work out) if I walk there it's about 30 minutes each way, and it's rarely worth spending less than an hour there.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #22924 on: 29 March, 2020, 05:19:45 pm »
Whatever one thinks of the government I would have thought (and I am right) that the longer people are out, the more "congestion" there is.  The mathematics is indisputable unless we have an expanding planet.  The question then becomes "Do I give a fuck about anyone else?"