Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 68140 times)

fuzzy

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #25 on: 11 February, 2013, 11:54:12 am »
Oh, and we can't wait for Joffrey to get what's coming to him, little f*cker...

Aye, a Little ShitTM and no mistake.

Nature or nurture though, Ma and Uncle are a little lacking in Moral Fibre in my eye.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #26 on: 11 February, 2013, 12:23:04 pm »
I've read these novels since they first came out (I even have a first edition of the first book in hard back - rare and valuable apparently) - quite a wait between books five and six I have to say - (like seven years!  >:()  The trouble with the TV series is that it is currently massively outpacing the rate at which the books get written.

Series three should really set some people's fires alight, some good stuff happens there.  ;D

I'm quite surprised by the comment about main characters avoiding death/rape - er... if there's one thing that George R. R. Martin is not afraid of, it is hacking to bits - with a good dose of rape and pillage - any character you care to think of - even really really major ones.  Hold on to your hats - NOONE is safe in Ice and Fire. 
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #27 on: 11 February, 2013, 01:03:08 pm »

Also Theon Greyjoy: Utter PeenTM Andy Gates Every Psychology students' wet dreamTM No1Daughter

« Reply #28 on: 11 February, 2013, 01:28:02 pm »

Also Theon Greyjoy: Utter PeenTM Andy Gates Every Psychology students' wet dreamTM No1Daughter
Oh yes, him. Master "It's-a-women-let-me-screw-it & I have a wobbly chin because I'm pathetic".
Got to hand it to the actor, great performance.

How about favourite characters?

MrsC is fond of Arya, the youngest Stark girl and Brom, Tyrion's swordsman.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #29 on: 11 February, 2013, 01:37:05 pm »
On the other hand, notice how the Named Characters and "good" girls (and boys) don't get raped?
Don't rely on it being maintained all the way through.  From what I remember of the books, pretty nasty things happen to an awful lot of the leading characters, whether 'good' or otherwise.

BTW, round numbers don't mean that anyone was counting, just that someone had a subjective impression of a large number. Fifty could be anything in double figures. Twenty-six would mean someone counted.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Chris S

« Reply #30 on: 11 February, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »
Tyrion gets all the best lines in the TV series, and the role is played really well by Peter Dinklage.

I have a lot of respect for John Snow. Everyone dumps on him, and he soaks it up. I'm kind of waiting for him to go postal at some point.

I like Brom too. He gets better as S2 progresses.

Sansa gets on my wick, which is probably really unfair because she too has been dumped on from a height.

« Reply #31 on: 11 February, 2013, 01:45:09 pm »
On the other hand, notice how the Named Characters and "good" girls (and boys) don't get raped?
Don't rely on it being maintained all the way through.  From what I remember of the books, pretty nasty things happen to an awful lot of the leading characters, whether 'good' or otherwise.

Oh, nasty things happen to nice people, I'll grant you, but I was specifically looking at the "good girls don't get raped" trope, and that holds true throughout all the books (I've read all the series so far published) as far as I can recall. I don't expect Arya or Sansa to ever be violated. Also,

(click to show/hide)

BTW, round numbers don't mean that anyone was counting, just that someone had a subjective impression of a large number. Fifty could be anything in double figures. Twenty-six would mean someone counted.

True, it was just that both the omniscient narrator and a character used the same terminology which gave the impression of TMI.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

caerau

« Reply #32 on: 11 February, 2013, 02:07:09 pm »

Oh, nasty things happen to nice people, I'll grant you, but I was specifically looking at the "good girls don't get raped" trope, and that holds true throughout all the books (I've read all the series so far published) as far as I can recall. I don't expect Arya or Sansa to ever be violated.

(click to show/hide)

Spoily reply within the spoiler there - read at your own risk.

« Reply #33 on: 11 February, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »

Oh, nasty things happen to nice people, I'll grant you, but I was specifically looking at the "good girls don't get raped" trope, and that holds true throughout all the books (I've read all the series so far published) as far as I can recall. I don't expect Arya or Sansa to ever be violated.

(click to show/hide)

Spoily reply within the spoiler there - read at your own risk.

Arya Stark's got plot armour - or rather GRRM's other half has apparently threatened severe consequences if he kills off her favourite character...  ;)

(click to show/hide)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #34 on: 15 February, 2013, 08:54:33 am »
Halfway through season 2.

Tonks, oh my goodness, you aren't a shy girl, are you?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #35 on: 16 March, 2013, 11:11:42 pm »
If the beautifully-modelled credits are just a little bit too much (includes a few season 2 spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPgIIB67bw
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #36 on: 04 July, 2013, 08:23:24 am »
Compelling and complex miniseries about a mythical land and its various, competing kingdoms and characters. Based on the books which are even more detailed than the miniseries, which does a fair job of sorting the storyline out. Sex, violence, knights, beautiful women, love, battles, monsters, dragons, intrigue, everything one might want in a medieval saga. I usually do not like fake ancient kingdom films or stories, but this one is great, an exception. The acting is fine, the costumes beautiful, recreation of the kingdoms brilliant and the suspense thrilling. The viewer is left longing for more! We are caught up in the personal lives of the characters and care about them. But just as you are rooting for a particular favorite, he or she may be suddenly and violently eliminated. More twists and turns than one can imagine. Great fun and riveting action.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Game of Thrones Season 3 DVD line stays close to the book with out been too slavish and the art direction,

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #37 on: 04 July, 2013, 12:52:17 pm »
(click to show/hide)

From now on I will refer to bobb as my-sun-and-stars, or MSAS.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

caerau

« Reply #38 on: 04 July, 2013, 01:53:32 pm »
(click to show/hide)

;D   Oh hooked and reeled in I believe.  Don't get too fond of anyone    :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #39 on: 04 July, 2013, 02:00:40 pm »

Is he going to grow a pony tail and a plaited beard too? Fboab offered to do Bairdy's beard in a Dothraki style when she opened small hairdressing franchise at an audax control recently. He declined - can't imagine why, Bikey Mikey was very pleased with his new pony tail.

fuzzy

« Reply #40 on: 04 July, 2013, 02:39:46 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I've just got to the end of my Season 1 box set too.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #41 on: 04 July, 2013, 03:05:55 pm »
(click to show/hide)

To be fair, there's a simple way of telling that would happen...

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #42 on: 04 July, 2013, 03:18:53 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #43 on: 04 July, 2013, 03:59:38 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #44 on: 04 July, 2013, 04:21:05 pm »
(click to show/hide)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

caerau

« Reply #45 on: 04 July, 2013, 04:35:29 pm »
Yes he's Odysseus in Troy - no chance of death there - he's got 10 years of wandering to do after that.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #46 on: 04 July, 2013, 06:15:16 pm »
Is he going to grow a pony tail and a plaited beard too?
Absolutely not.

Just finished book one. I want book two now! So far the most annoying characters are Lysa Tully and Robin Arryn.

caerau

« Reply #47 on: 04 July, 2013, 06:25:10 pm »
Can I ask how you found the end?  I thought it was an amazing end to the book and *really* drove me onto the second.

But I know people who were unimpressed with the same ending in the TV series  ???

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #48 on: 04 July, 2013, 07:26:18 pm »
Um. I like Daenerys, I think she's awesome. I have concerns about dragons though.

caerau

« Reply #49 on: 04 July, 2013, 08:13:33 pm »
Well yes, many will have 'concerns' about them :-D
Isn't that the point? :-D