Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 68100 times)

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #100 on: 16 September, 2013, 12:59:19 pm »
Eccentrica, I'm shocked and appalled.

(click to show/hide)

There is an alternative point of view
(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #101 on: 16 September, 2013, 01:24:37 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #102 on: 16 September, 2013, 01:37:49 pm »
Yeah, I know, but out of all the dozens and hundreds of characters, they're the only two I want that kind of ending for!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #103 on: 16 September, 2013, 01:41:52 pm »
(click to show/hide)

yebbut - some of us men are delicate little romantic flowers, y'know
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #104 on: 16 September, 2013, 09:50:49 pm »
Finished!

*sits down with crossed arms to wait for next book*

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #105 on: 17 September, 2013, 12:40:14 pm »
GRRM has a few excerpts that can be read  here http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

I REALLY wouldn't hold your breath though.  :(

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #106 on: 17 November, 2013, 05:44:27 pm »
The sex scenes are fairly rapey, which is a shame because aside from that, there are some pretty strong female characters; Catelyn Stark, Daenerys Targaryen to name two. These are developed much more in S2.

Boab & I love it. I guess she has to put her feminist leanings to one side during the more challenging moments. That, or she seethes very quietly so I haven't noticed  ;).
I was thinking a bit about this today. I am happy that all the major female characters are different. Cersei, Catelyn, Lyssa, Sansa, Arya, Brienne, Ygritte, Daenerys - they're all very different - different strengths, weaknesses, skills, morals, choices. They're not just virgin//whore/good/bad/strong/weak. They're as varied and three dimensional as the male characters, and I count that as feminist win. And the rapiness - well, I think it's depicted fairly. It's clear that some of the male characters rape when they can, particularly when sacking a castle or a city (which, let's face it, is not a stretch of the imagination), but not all of the men rape, and several of them condemn it outright and punish rapists when they can. It's not shown as natural behaviour for men, it's shown as a choice some make because they want to do it, not because they couldn't help themselves. I think the only way to improve on that is to have no rape at all, which would make for a less gruesome but possibly less realistic story.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #107 on: 17 November, 2013, 05:54:32 pm »
I was thinking a bit about this today. I am happy that all the major female characters are different. Cersei, Catelyn, Lyssa, Sansa, Arya, Brienne, Ygritte, Daenerys - they're all very different - different strengths, weaknesses, skills, morals, choices. They're not just virgin//whore/good/bad/strong/weak. They're as varied and three dimensional as the male characters, and I count that as feminist win. And the rapiness - well, I think it's depicted fairly. It's clear that some of the male characters rape when they can, particularly when sacking a castle or a city (which, let's face it, is not a stretch of the imagination), but not all of the men rape, and several of them condemn it outright and punish rapists when they can. It's not shown as natural behaviour for men, it's shown as a choice some make because they want to do it, not because they couldn't help themselves. I think the only way to improve on that is to have no rape at all, which would make for a less gruesome but possibly less realistic story.

I'm inclined to agree with that.  Maybe I'm wrong, but gruesome medieval fantasy without rape, murder, torture etc. wouldn't be very good gruesome medieval fantasy.  It's not supposed to be Merlin.

What's really needed is parity of screen time for teh cock.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #108 on: 17 November, 2013, 06:36:27 pm »
The trouble is, given the relative design of male and female anatomy, teh cock shots would have to be offset by Hustler-style shots for the ladies and it would all descend into the squelchiest kind of amateur pr0n.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #109 on: 17 November, 2013, 06:59:11 pm »
The trouble is, given the relative design of male and female anatomy, teh cock shots would have to be offset by Hustler-style shots for the ladies and it would all descend into the squelchiest kind of amateur pr0n.

This is Game Of Thrones we're talking about.  No descending required.

fuzzy

« Reply #110 on: 18 November, 2013, 07:40:32 am »
What's really needed is parity of screen time for teh cock.

On a par with Spartacus Blood and Sand etc?

I thought the amount of member on view in Spartacus was more than you average non Soho DVD. Also the depiction of the female use of the slave as a sex toy refreshing.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #111 on: 20 February, 2014, 05:42:00 pm »
So I've just finished A Storm of Swords. No spoilers, except that those of you who are waiting for season four on TV are in for a treat.

The question is, do I now read A Feast for Crows on its own or do I follow this reading order which weaves the chapters of Feast and A Dance with Dragons into an apparently more coherent (but gi-freakin'-normous) whole?

« Reply #112 on: 20 February, 2014, 05:53:47 pm »
Follow the weave. You forget the characters otherwise. I didn't, and have really struggled with aDwD. (It would probably be really easy for me to do the weave, just a re-naming/ numbering of the audio book chapters. I might try it.)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #113 on: 21 February, 2014, 10:51:54 am »
Follow the weave. You forget the characters otherwise. I didn't, and have really struggled with aDwD. (It would probably be really easy for me to do the weave, just a re-naming/ numbering of the audio book chapters. I might try it.)

Good call. Plus, (not very spoilery but I'll tag it anyway)

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #114 on: 20 March, 2014, 06:55:22 pm »
Two long haul flights in the last ten days - & they had all of series 1 on tap. You can watch an awful lot of GoT on a 12 hour flight.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Ruth

« Reply #115 on: 07 April, 2014, 04:29:48 pm »
I just watched the first one of the new series.  Arya Stark - Cor!  No huge surprises, I don't think, but the potential for lots of bloodletting as the series progresses.

Marvellous.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #116 on: 07 April, 2014, 04:45:26 pm »
I just watched the first one of the new series.  Arya Stark - Cor!  No huge surprises, I don't think, but the potential for lots of bloodletting as the series progresses.

Marvellous.

Didn't think it was on until this evening ??? Better check my Sky box

Ruth

« Reply #117 on: 07 April, 2014, 04:51:39 pm »
I watched it on NOW TV.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #118 on: 07 April, 2014, 04:52:45 pm »
I watched it on NOW TV.

That makes sense, had me worried for a while but Sky Box is primed to record this evening so all well!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #119 on: 07 April, 2014, 04:56:26 pm »
Didn't think it was on until this evening ??? Better check my Sky box

It was also on at 2am this morning, for those who couldn't wait.

I'm going to download all the box sets to watch at my leisure. I've been missing out too long.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #120 on: 08 April, 2014, 12:04:15 pm »
Slightly OT but this doesn't seem to be available on many (legit) sources. We have paid subscription to Netflix but nope, not there. Would consider paying for Virgin TV but not there.
NowTV or Sky seem the only options.

How effing stupid. People will just watch pirated copies.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #121 on: 09 April, 2014, 05:20:46 pm »
Indeed. They are. Hence big stink kicked up by copyright owners.

Have they learned nothing from the war on music downloads?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #122 on: 12 April, 2014, 01:23:06 pm »
Latecomer, just started binge watching. It's good stuff this!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Chris S

« Reply #124 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:26:43 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Or is that just me?