Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281728 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
20:15 - 20:45 in the garden tending bonfire. Going like a train (tinder dry content), flames rising near true vertical due to near total absence of wind.
21:15 - Step out of shower to the sound of howling gale rattling the slates on the roof.

Where did that come from?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Yay, rain is forecast for tomorrow and the day after!

I don't think it's rained here (London) in the last 5 weeks. It rained on the day before my last day at work before the shutdown, and I don't need constant sunshine now  because I'm not cycling.

I only cycle for transport.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Because reasons I've ended up going to Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles on Thursdays for the last few weeks.  This is Un-Natural — I usually go on a Tuesday — and so I have contrived matters so as to run out of nommables in such a way that the Natural Order of Things might be restored.  Hopefully the damp will reduce queueueueueing time :-\

Edit: Yes.  Yes, it did.  Queueueueue only as long as half the front of the building instead of zigzagging nine or a dozen times across the foopball pitch sized bit of the car park round the side.  No semi-skilled milk or channa masala though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
The proper April showers have just managed to squeeze themselves into April.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Yeah. They're getting a bit of practice in for when we can go cycling again after 11th May.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
(Sings)

Hal-an-tow!
And jolly rumble-o!
We was up1
Long before the day-o!
To welcome in the summer!
To welcome in the May-o!
For summer is a-coming in
And winter's gone away-o!

(Huddles under blanket, whimpering piteously)

It's bloody freezing in here :'(

1: lie

1) The heating came on this morning, for the first time in while.

2) The weather forecast on the BBC text service for the south and south-west contained traces of LIE - it is now absolutely chucking it down. I am contemplating deferring my scheduled bike ride until tomorrow...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
One of the dogs got as far as the top doorstep just now then lay down and watched as t'other dog & I ventured out into the misery.  Even the workshop, which has been pleasantly warm the last couple of weeks, was cold & miserable.

Bloody Garmin just sent me a happy email encouraging me to get out into wunnerful SPRINGTIME, natch after disgorging a bellyful of cash for one of their misguidance gadgets. Bah humbug.

You should have seen the hail storm I had here at about 11:30, it set of the neighbours car alarm.

Edit to add:

And now a second has just blown through.

I did a ride this morning on the basis of the good forecast and was rained and hailed on for my efforts  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Help me!
Much 'chimes of freedom, flashing' in the Teifi Valley atm.
Which I'm enjoying greatly, particularly as is quite rare here.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
20°C colder than this time yesterday, and bloody wet with it.  This bloody government can't do anything right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Still April here. According to the forecast that after a hot dry April, we'd have a cool, wet May and June.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Still April here. According to the forecast that after a hot dry April, we'd have a cool, wet May and June.

Say after me: I. Must. Not. Believe. Weather. Stories. In. The. Daily. Express!

(Exit, pursued by a Cudzo)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We recorded 1mm of rain in the whole of May. It started, unannounced. My sister, whose house is about 200 yards from mine, rushed out to get her washing in, getting soaked in the process. By the time she was back inside the rain had stopped.

24 hours ago the forecast for Wednesday/Thursday was for a good old-fashioned overnight downpour. That has now been downgraded to up to 12 hours of light rain, but they seem to lack confidence that it will actually happen.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
We have just booked to go this Saturday on a bike tour in the Kylltal and Mosel region.

Rain is now forecast and temperatures down to 14. Today it is 27.

We are taking the trikes so rain and cold matters!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Here in South London, May has been completely dry, at least during the day.

I think there were two days where light rain was forecast but it never rained.

Light rain shower is forecast for tomorrow at 4-8pm.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Grey and overcast here :thumbsup:
Rain expected later :thumbsup:
I thought I'd make sure the hose between downpipe and water butt is clear of grot
Hose, ten years old or so, split right around the circumference >:(

Hose is a size obtainable from agricultural suppliers. I've cobbled together a replacement from a bit of not-quite-right hose, but I'm not hopeful
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Gentle but persistent rain from 0600 S of Chester. The sort that's not enough to put a waterproof on for, but enough to get you very damp indeed.  Our black lab is currently quarantined whilst he dries out enough to be let back into the house.

UPDATE: It fizzled out around 1pm, but it's back.  Distinctly chilly, grey and damp here in the northern Marches.

In Rollleston near Burton it was a bit drizzly at 08:00 then steadily got wetter and colder to the point we cancelled our walk and retreated to the lounge with Kindles and a small log on the fire. Now back to cold and spotty rain.

Here in South London, May has been completely dry, at least during the day.

I think there were two days where light rain was forecast but it never rained.

Light rain shower is forecast for tomorrow at 4-8pm.

There's very light rain here now.

I thought I'd make sure the hose between downpipe and water butt is clear of grot

In our case it's usually full of slugs, the kind of yellowy camouflage ones  :sick:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
First day of hollibobs. Distinctly autumnal  :demon:

Basil

• Help me!
Hurrah!  Thunderstorm.  And lots of it.  :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Huh. With on exception, our forecast says rain every day for the next two weeks.