Author Topic: Aaaaaaargh!  (Read 3427 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Aaaaaaargh!
« Reply #25 on: 31 December, 2015, 01:11:32 pm »
A naga is a fire spirit from one of the indian subcontinent polytheistic religions.

Chilli's named after one should be eaten with great care :-D

Interestingly when I was growing chillis a few years back (Bird eyes, Orange habanero and another type of habanero I forget - but we're *still* retrieving them from the freezer about 5 years later) I had as a master's student that year a guy called Ben Michaud - about the day he started there was a news story about one of britain's top chilli farms who'd just broken the (current) world record for growing the hottest chilli (Bhut Jolokia at time iirc).  Turned out the family who ran it went by the name of Michaud - I got some very good advice on how to grow them that year  :-D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #26 on: 31 December, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »
This has to be the time and the place to roll out the oldie and goodie (?)

My favourite Indian dish is Chicken Tarkka

It's like Chicken Tikka but a little 'otter.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 31 December, 2015, 01:31:44 pm »

I grew some habanero chillis a few years back, I like hot chilli a lot and one of those put the frighteners up both me and (more so) my wife when a lick of the sauce I'd made flicked off some noodle into my windpipe.   Not being able to breath for several long moments wasn't funny either.  It was like choking without a blockage.  Eventually my body decided oxygen was more important than clamping my throat shut and I was able to force a breath by coughing hard.  And that habanero was maybe, at best, 300,000 on the Scoville scale.

It's also Not Fun if you forget you've been handling really hot peppers and wipe your eyes. I know this for a fact. Don't ask how.

Be grateful it was only your eyes you scratched  :hand: :facepalm:

My chum "GOD" had once just finished an intense session of chilli-chopping when his grilf showed up.  Feeling frisky...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #28 on: 31 December, 2015, 03:16:31 pm »
I was enjoying a Saturday afternoon in the lounge of a very nice hotel in Jakarta. The singer - a lovely Philippino lady - was working, professionally, through her repertoire. Having been in the hotel for about 4 months, by then, we knew Anna quite well and were very fond of her.

She knew we were there. She'd acknowledged us a few times and taken a couple of breaks when she had come over for a chat.

Kevin, my oriental colleague, was munching his way through a salad. For some reason Indonesians love chillies. They're a listed commodity on their stock exchange. They eat them by the bowlful. They put them in their salads. Kevin found one and popped it in. A tiny one. Sometimes it seems the smaller a chilli is, the hotter it is ...

He started to go red. The redness started at his throat and progressively climbed higher until it reached his eyes. By now he was coughing and having serious problems. It looked like a scene from a cartoon. Anna glanced over. She saw Kevin - and totally cracked up. She just couldn't continue. Anna took a break for about 30 minutes while she recomposed herself. Kevin was fed a lot of yoghurt. He was ok but, oddly, he never ate the tiny chillies again.  ::-)
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 31 December, 2015, 04:02:54 pm »
My MS plays weird tricks with me sometimes.
Way back in 1999 I found the left side of my tongue unable to notice chills and fizzy drinks.
It was not the kind of symptom to take to a doctor and it didn't last long.
I suppose it was handy not needing to spit out kebabs from Wembley on my way home from work.