Author Topic: effing builder  (Read 15923 times)

Re: effing builder
« Reply #50 on: 30 November, 2016, 05:16:05 pm »
Bugger.   Yet more incompetence, or worse .....

mllePB has received an email saying that the gas cooker, which has already been paid for is not in stock and will not be delivered tomorrow.   Delay at least two weeks.

I must check the law but I was under the impression that they should not take the money if they do not have the goods in stock.   Can anybody point me at the right bit of legislation before I go hunting perhaps please?

Given that I really don't trust these people now I fear that after all this effort there will be no cooker before christmas and thus christmas is all effed over.

DO NOT SHOP AT GAS SUPER STORE. 

« Reply #51 on: 30 November, 2016, 05:19:08 pm »
And now the effing gits have already closed their phone lines for the day in spite of actually closing at 17:30.

They really don't take customer service seriously do they.   

« Reply #52 on: 30 November, 2016, 05:53:04 pm »
So, Gas Super Store cannot deliver before 16th at the earliest.   John Lewis can deliver this week.   Glad she paid for this on a credit card so the refund should not be too painful.   

« Reply #53 on: 30 November, 2016, 09:34:49 pm »
?.. and on their website they (Gas Super Store) are advertising delivery of the very same cooker for the 6th.

Methinks these people are truly dodgy.

« Reply #54 on: 01 December, 2016, 09:06:22 am »
We have ended buying several appliances from John Lewis for the reason of reliability of delivery.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #55 on: 01 December, 2016, 09:20:19 am »
That's the plan.

Apparently SWMBO was swayed by a 'pre' black friday reduction.   Unfortunately, and as I have said elsewhere, if the deal is too good to be true it usually is.

I rang John Lewis to enquire about stock availability yesterday evening*.   Even though I was not at that time placing an order the helpful staff checked stock availability and delivery dates for me at that time.   Also, with nearly 200 in stock and more arriving on Monday they were confident of being able to deviver in a timely manner.

mllePB has gone armed with her information about the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2014 and ready to cancel GSS in favour of JL.

*  Their helpful phone lines are open until midnight, not supposedly 5:30 but in reality earlier so that the staff can avoid complaining customers GSS!

« Reply #56 on: 04 December, 2016, 06:17:26 pm »
Sigh.   

The gas cooker point will have to be moved, again.   It was moved in readiness for the Hotpoint model chosen but where it is now clashes with the shaped back panel of the Zanussi which eventually materialised today.   Two options:  one is to take out the cupboard and hide the gas pipe behind it, the other is to put in a 90o fitting and run the pipe down by the side of the cupboard until it is low enough to then pass under the back panel.

Why is life made so difficult?   Why can't they have standards?   Why am I so pissed off with this kitchen already?   

Should have just burned the effing house down and let the insurers rebuild it.     

« Reply #57 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:34:01 am »
Re:  The circular saw thread:

That job will now be professionally done and the gas fitter is due to sort the pipework and fit the cooker.    Wonder what I'll cook in the oven first?

YAY!!!   Feels like we can have a christmas dinner after all.   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #58 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:58:20 am »
Re:  The circular saw thread:

That job will now be professionally done and the gas fitter is due to sort the pipework and fit the cooker.    Wonder what I'll cook in the oven first?

YAY!!!   Feels like we can have a christmas dinner after all.   :thumbsup:

The Builder?

My effing builder was supposed to come and see me today to talk about the positioning of eklectics in the new shed and the internal partition.  I went out to talk to his brickie and was told he's already been and gone, after being told on the phone yesterday that I'm away for the rest of the week.   :demon:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #59 on: 06 December, 2016, 11:10:14 am »
There are a couple of jobs outstanding into the new year but I think that I'll have a bash myself now rather than throw cash at a tradesman.   In future I'll only rely upon reliable tradesmen like John the Sparky of this parish.  They are few and far between though.

John rang me last week with regard to his visit scheduled for Wednesday, as in tomorrow.  Would Saturday, as in Saturday just gone, be ok rather than Wednesday?  He came, he worked, he conquered.  Then he had the decency to run me down to Wickes to get a new cold fill hose for the washing machine as the old one had mysteriously disappeared.  He also helped me lump the machine into place. 

Good egg our JtS and extremely highly recommended.  He should start a business coaching tradesmen on how to keep the customer happy.   

« Reply #60 on: 06 December, 2016, 01:24:39 pm »
Good egg our JtS and extremely highly recommended.  He should start a business coaching tradesmen on how to keep the customer happy.

Yebbut would they ever turn up for the lessons?  :-\

« Reply #61 on: 06 December, 2016, 01:31:32 pm »
Who cares if they've already paid him.

Perhaps the model should be an up front fee then 5% back 'cash in hand'* per day of full attendance.   

*  That's one for the angry accusers of 'anybody who takes cash in hand is a tax evader' to get their chompers round.    :demon:

« Reply #62 on: 06 December, 2016, 02:47:28 pm »
The (not quite) ideal solution is to live in a small town that's just big enough to provide a living for most kinds of tradespeople.  They understand that I know where they live, and know many of their other customers.  Dealing with folk down here is certainly different from doing similar in (say) West London.

« Reply #63 on: 06 December, 2016, 03:03:43 pm »
Rugby just about fits that 'small town' model.

I have discovered a small community of similarly-minded people and we now share information of tradespeople.

Clearly some of them will do well out of providing a decent service ... 

« Reply #64 on: 06 December, 2016, 03:36:30 pm »
The (not quite) ideal solution is to live in a small town that's just big enough to provide a living for most kinds of tradespeople.  They understand that I know where they live, and know many of their other customers.  Dealing with folk down here is certainly different from doing similar in (say) West London.

I have that here. Problem is that they all know each other, and seem to very much want to do things their way and not to industry standards/norms. The lack of knowledge relating to the purpose and make up of contracts for the domestic market is breathtaking.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #65 on: 06 December, 2016, 06:29:12 pm »
... and

As you were.    :(  :(  :(  :(     

We need a really pissed off and totally disappointed smiley.

Both Gas Safe gas man and builder fail to turn up in spite of promises.

Anybody care to defend these cnuts?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #66 on: 06 December, 2016, 09:59:20 pm »
Almost as bad as people who promise you bike bits and don't send them...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #67 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:14:25 pm »
Hmmmm.   Interesting defence of them there Torslanda.   :D

I'm really wanting to have my dinner out of the cooker and not the bloody microwave which can go back to the British Heart Foundation as soon as these tossers pull a pinkie out.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #68 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:19:28 pm »
... and

As you were.    :(  :(  :(  :(     

We need a really pissed off and totally disappointed smiley.

Both Gas Safe gas man and builder fail to turn up in spite of promises.

No, and that's why you take the pennies you have not given them, and go buy dangerous machines which are all variations on sharp blades o' death spinning around at furious speeds, and then spend some time learning how to use them with your remaining limbs.

It's fun as well as useful.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:23:50 pm »
Also some PTFE tape and some expensive fairy liquid...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #70 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:31:07 pm »
Aye, that too, along with a Flamethrower o' Death if you're going to do that stuffs too.

It's kind of like living in Australia: everything's out to kill you, but it's quite fun at the same time.

« Reply #71 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:36:06 pm »
Unfortunately the copper has to be moved and I don't have those skillz.   What I do have is five images in my smartphone of the vans of local gas safe fitters.   I can use a phone and might just do so in the morning.

The saw may just come out to play tomorrow on the worktop though.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #72 on: 06 December, 2016, 10:37:47 pm »
I like the way this thread is heading

!) Identify those who have wronged you by not turning to build/repair/install/fettle/supply bits for fettling
ii) think up elaborate tortures, death, destruction and mayhem to visit on said oiks.
3) purchase white cat and take over the world*

*I may have exaggerated with the last point
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #73 on: 07 December, 2016, 04:19:34 pm »
Still no builder or gas fitter.

Worktop now cut and, lo and behold, it fits!!!!!    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think that I shall take up DIY again in spite of my vow to stop in 2000.   I seem to have done so anyway.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #74 on: 08 December, 2016, 01:14:59 pm »
... and

no, as it would be the same as trying to defend customers who just didn't want to pay. There's plenty of them, so maybe both parties should approach the matter with a more professional attitude.