Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 378012 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #1400 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:15:05 pm »
Amazing piece of writing!

Would be GREAT if the could give the correct name for the restaurant and the correct URL!

But I am a pedant...

« Reply #1401 on: 25 February, 2017, 09:27:15 am »
A former colleague and I bonded over our shared love of local newspaper restaurant reviews. I've not heard from him for a while but I was tickled when this popped up in my inbox today from him:

http://yorkshiretimes.co.uk/article/Review-Harvesters-Halifax

Well done the Yorkshire Times for getting in there before the Michelin inspectors discovered it.
;D
"better than what you get at some of the cheaper burger chains" is pure genius.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1402 on: 25 February, 2017, 09:42:50 am »
Amazing piece of writing!

Would be GREAT if the could give the correct name for the restaurant and the correct URL!

But I am a pedant...

And he claims to have had a "sirlion" steak.  Fresh from the Serengeti?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1403 on: 28 February, 2017, 01:06:09 pm »
Ever the innovators, the BBC appear to have added an 'eye on the provinces' module to their news site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12277638

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1404 on: 28 February, 2017, 01:11:54 pm »
A former colleague and I bonded over our shared love of local newspaper restaurant reviews. I've not heard from him for a while but I was tickled when this popped up in my inbox today from him:

http://yorkshiretimes.co.uk/article/Review-Harvesters-Halifax

Well done the Yorkshire Times for getting in there before the Michelin inspectors discovered it.
;D
"better than what you get at some of the cheaper burger chains" is pure genius.
That line had me literally laughing out loud.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1406 on: 01 March, 2017, 01:06:07 am »
It's literally a province, so definitely counts.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1407 on: 01 March, 2017, 04:13:54 pm »
A bit old. Sorry.

Cambridge lecturer attends faculty meeting naked.
Nobody mentions it in the meeting.
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/cambridge-academic-attends-university-meeting-11976364

Maybe mildly NSFW, as there's a painting of her nude in the report.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1408 on: 01 March, 2017, 04:49:44 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39130580

Not provinces.
In mainstream media.

but...

« Reply #1410 on: 02 March, 2017, 03:59:19 pm »
Motorist complains about legal use of mobility scooter
:o In fairness, she'd got a good point.  That part of the north Derby ring road is really busy!  Riding a mobility scooter on there would be like, I dunno, riding a bike along the A63 on a Saturday afternoon. ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1411 on: 02 March, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »
The problem IMO is that road legal mobility scooters have a maximum speed of 8mph, making them too slow in traffic but too fast for a footway.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1412 on: 02 March, 2017, 10:57:43 pm »
The problem IMHO is that we don't have proper cycling infrastructure, and it's not currently legal to use a mobility scooter on cycling infrastructure.

Upping the speed of road/cyclepath-going scooters to 25kph in line with e-bikes would seem reasonable TAAW.

« Reply #1413 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:42:16 am »
Upping the speed of road/cyclepath-going scooters to 25kph in line with e-bikes would seem reasonable TAAW.
TBH, this strikes me as a very poor idea.  Even at 25kph a mobility scooter is going to be a sitting duck amidst regular traffic (like a milkfloat on a motorway), yet way too fast for footway use on anything but an empty, well-surfaced, straight footway (even 8mph on my M-I-L's scooter alongside the die-straight Avenues of Hull feels pretty zippy, and I wouldn't want to corner at that speed).  There's a fundamental difference in manoeuvrability between an e-bike and a scooter.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1414 on: 03 March, 2017, 09:39:31 am »
Speaking as a pedestrian who doesn't always hear ignorant-twat-operated silent electric vehicles sneaking up narrow pavements behind him, being rammed in the back of the legs at 15mph wwould be a bit different from being rammed in the back of the legs at 5-6mph.

I hope the operators of these things carry 3rd party insurance, because one day I *will* sue.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1415 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:15:10 pm »
TBH, this strikes me as a very poor idea.  Even at 25kph a mobility scooter is going to be a sitting duck amidst regular traffic (like a milkfloat on a motorway), yet way too fast for footway use on anything but an empty, well-surfaced, straight footway (even 8mph on my M-I-L's scooter alongside the die-straight Avenues of Hull feels pretty zippy, and I wouldn't want to corner at that speed).  There's a fundamental difference in manoeuvrability between an e-bike and a scooter.

I mean for road/cyclepath use.  It'd still have to run according to Class 2 rules (4mph limit) on a footway.

Seems to work in the Netherlands.

« Reply #1416 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:33:47 pm »
TBH, this strikes me as a very poor idea. Even at 25kph a mobility scooter is going to be a sitting duck amidst regular traffic (like a milkfloat on a motorway), yet way too fast for footway use on anything but an empty, well-surfaced, straight footway (even 8mph on my M-I-L's scooter alongside the die-straight Avenues of Hull feels pretty zippy, and I wouldn't want to corner at that speed).  There's a fundamental difference in manoeuvrability between an e-bike and a scooter.

I mean for road/cyclepath use.  It'd still have to run according to Class 2 rules (4mph limit) on a footway.

Seems to work in the Netherlands.
Rather you than me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1417 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:42:34 pm »
There are reasons I never replaced my Class II 3rd hand scooter when it died...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1418 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:43:01 pm »
How is a 25kph scooter any worse in traffic than a tricycle?  Sure, I'd try to pick a route that avoided the Derby ring-road, but many of us ride trikes in urban traffic and can attest that it isn't instant DETH (indeed, if anything, it's safer than a bicycle, as you're more likely to be seen).

And yes there's a fundamental difference in manoeuvrability between a scooter and a bicycle:  A scooter has a tighter turning circle and a stall speed of zero.  I'm not sure why that's an argument against the scooter.  Presumably anything built to do 25kph would be designed to not be hopelessly unstable at that speed, and like any other vehicle, you slow down for corners.  You see people using such things in the Netherlands, and the technology appears to be a solved problem.  What we need is more appropriate infrastructure, and the legal changes to allow scooter users to use it.  A scooter user on a cyclepath is one less car.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1419 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:44:52 pm »
Even at 25kph a mobility scooter is going to be a sitting duck amidst regular traffic

No more so than cyclists, surely?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1420 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
Maybe the scooter I ditched was particularly poor but its response to my requests for it to both stop and go seemed very tardy, much slower than on a bicycle. Then there's the extra mass...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1421 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:49:54 pm »
It'd still have to run according to Class 2 rules (4mph limit) on a footway.

One thing I'm not sure about, not being a user of mobility scooters - do scooters intended for footway use have built-in speed limiters or are they like cars, reliant on the operator to observe the rules? I've often encountered scooters going somewhat quicker than that on the pavement...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1422 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:51:58 pm »

One thing I'm not sure about, not being a user of mobility scooters - do scooters intended for footway use have built-in speed limiters or are they like cars, reliant on the operator to observe the rules? I've often encountered scooters going somewhat quicker than that on the pavement...

A Class 2 scooter can only do 4mph, otherwise it isn't a Class 2.

A Class 3 scooter generally has a switch that limits it to 4mph for footways, but can do 8mph in road-going mode.

(Class 1 is human powered and has no speed limit.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1423 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:55:03 pm »
Maybe the scooter I ditched was particularly poor but its response to my requests for it to both stop and go seemed very tardy, much slower than on a bicycle. Then there's the extra mass...

Sure, but it was only designed to go at a speed where crappy controls weren't a complete liability.  There's no reason they *have* to be poorly-engineered.

Bicycles are designed to go faster, and have better brakes.  Presumably the same is true for Dutch fast scooters.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1424 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:55:43 pm »

The speed limit is inbuilt; you cannot do a quick burst past a dawdler, so are constrained to their 2mph.

It's apparently illegal for an able-bodied person to use these things but partner still used my scooter to schlep 50kg building supplies half a mile home.