Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 127691 times)

AndyK

Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #25 on: 04 February, 2012, 10:52:36 am »
Tried once, privacy was not sufficient, gave up.
Considering it is up to users as to what personal information they write on their Facebook profiles, I have never understood the poor privacy argument. If you don't put the information on Facebook, then privacy is not an issue.
Keep everything locked down to 'Only friends', don't use ANY games or Apps, and it's pretty much just another chat forum.

I like being able to play scrabble with clarion (and others) when I'm babysitting miles away :).

Words With Friends is much better and you can play it on your smart phone with no need to use Facebook.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #26 on: 04 February, 2012, 01:40:42 pm »
At least half of my relationship with the wonderful bobb is playing facebook Scrabble while we skype!  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #27 on: 04 February, 2012, 02:04:36 pm »
Why is this thread stickied, by the way. Is it really that important?  ???

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #28 on: 04 February, 2012, 02:11:48 pm »
I'm one of the "have an account but CBA to go there". I regard it a bit like I regard phones - really don't like them much. I still prefer to have face-to-face conversations or not at all. Emails are good.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 04 February, 2012, 02:13:36 pm »
Fairly standard with polls, to get the maximum responses.  At least for a while.  As well as being personally interested in the march of the pseudo-monopoly that is FB, there is some relevance to the forum.  For instance, a FB group may be a better place than Twitter for notifying people that 1and1 have poured hot German Kaffee into the server again.

It's currently 2:1 users vs non-users, which is higher than I thought.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #30 on: 04 February, 2012, 02:19:06 pm »
Looking at my Facebook timeline I started on there in August 2007.

I have been on eBay even longer: Member since: 31-Oct-00
My ID on there has a character in it that anyone registering in the last decade cannot use :)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #31 on: 04 February, 2012, 03:51:39 pm »
I'm on fb & use it quite a bit, never had any issues with security though.
I have a fair few people from yacf on my friends list too  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #32 on: 04 February, 2012, 03:56:09 pm »
I'm on fb & use it quite a bit, never had any issues with security though.
I have a fair few people from yacf on my friends list too  :thumbsup:

I have to admit, for identity theft and banking reasons I have always had a fake birthday on my Facebook profile! This year even my own sister said happy birthday to me on the wrong day! (it is only a couple of days different).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #33 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:03:40 pm »
Fairly standard with polls, to get the maximum responses.  At least for a while.  As well as being personally interested in the march of the pseudo-monopoly that is FB, there is some relevance to the forum.  For instance, a FB group may be a better place than Twitter for notifying people that 1and1 have poured hot German Kaffee into the server again.

It's currently 2:1 users vs non-users, which is higher than I thought.
Is there a yacf twitterer then?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:12:19 pm »
Rog:
I would have thought members could check for tweets without registering anywhere.

FB would be harder. (and a bit shit)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #35 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:35:16 pm »
Is there a yacf twitterer then?

Not exactly.  @rogerzilla, @deniswalker and @Iceblinker occasionally make #YACF announcements.

I would have thought members could check for tweets without registering anywhere.

Yes, anyone can check for recent ones via https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23yacf - until the Yucky Arse Clapping Faction hijack the hashtag.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #36 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:44:18 pm »
I'm on Facebook and find it quite useful.

Lets me keep in touch with my cousin in Panama and exchange photos with various friends. Also quite good for arranging get togethers with groups of friends.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #37 on: 04 February, 2012, 05:12:45 pm »
There are a number of ways of posting messages on both Facebook and Twitter at the same time.
Also if you create a Facebook page, I think everything posted to that is public by default, so visible without registering.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #38 on: 05 February, 2012, 01:33:13 am »
I hardly ever use it cos I iz thick and can't figure out the what and how, never mind the Why of it.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #39 on: 05 February, 2012, 03:07:03 am »
OMG FB? :sick:

No thanks. E-mail serves my needs when required :thumbsup:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #40 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:25:31 am »
Facebook is no more private than here, but is easier to share pictures and ignore people.
When your family live in other continents you get to maintain a much more casual relationship with them. If I wrote an email it would be a whole letter. With facebook it's more like a conversation. I don't do skype (i hate web-cams) and it takes too long on the phone to re-establish an easy rapport.
I like facebook. My friends are mostly, actually, my friends.
And obviously, there's the whole keeping track of teenage offspring.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #41 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:33:46 am »
I use it to keep in touch with friends and family across the world.  It's handy like that.  It has also kept me entertained this weekend when I have been a bit too ill to go out cycling (chest infection) or even concentrate on reading a book, but not ill enough to do nothing but sleep.  I have fended off the frustration and boredom by making an album of my summer trip and having subsequent chats with some of my friends and family.  Trivial, but a mildly amusing and harmless way of wasting time.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #42 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:34:38 am »
My

And obviously, there's the whole keeping track of teenage offspring.

My offspring refuse to have me on their friends list- should I be worried?

« Reply #43 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:48:26 am »
Your offspring aren't teenage any more, is she?
It's a rule in this house that as long as I'm paying for your internet and your computer/phone, you're not allowed to block me. Doesn't take much ingenuity to post things I can't see though, so it's a bit token.
They don't seem to mind being my friend though, and they're all 'friends' with their grandad too, so maybe they're not doing anything interesting. We have a private family group for sharing the embarrassing stuff.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #44 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:08:39 am »
I'm on it. Only because I have an international background and it became the easiest route for people to stay in touch. However, I rarely log in and even more rarely post anything.

My children use it - as they're away at school I don't get any say in the matter - but I'm not sure I'd want to be fb "friends" with them. It would seem a bit intrusive.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #45 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:08:44 am »
I don't use FB much but was delighted when my 98-year-old great uncle accepted my FB friend request...

LEE

« Reply #46 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:21:02 am »
I like Facebook.  I'm not a big user of it, and think they could change "Friends" to "Acquaintances" to be more realistic in most cases, but it must be great for kids to grow up and never lose touch with people they meet.

My age/era means that many people I'd rather like to catch up with are lost forever. 

Many people spend their entire lives moving from place to place, country to country, I like the way FB allows you to maintain a virtual village of acquaintances.  You can interact or not, it's your choice.

I have received many requests from what I call "Friend collectors" though, people I've met through other people but have only the slightest recollection of.  I think my friends list is pared down to people I've at least had a pint with.

If you can't remember their last name then delete them.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #47 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:22:57 am »
I had a friend request on Another Social Network once where the only thing I had in common with the guy was that, many years ago, I once slept with his fiancee...and I don't think he actually knows  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:30:03 am »
My age/era means that many people I'd rather like to catch up with are lost forever. 

Many people spend their entire lives moving from place to place, country to country, I like the way FB allows you to maintain a virtual village of acquaintances.  You can interact or not, it's your choice.
(This is more about t'Web in general, not FB:)

You're right, but the flipside is that it discourages physical interaction. For every photo emailed to grandfolks in Oz, there is a couple emailing each-other from adjacent rooms.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #49 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:32:40 am »
My children use it - as they're away at school I don't get any say in the matter - but I'm not sure I'd want to be fb "friends" with them. It would seem a bit intrusive.
Yeah, but I actually am friends with my children. There isn't a very strong adult/child divide in this house.
Someone reckons they show me no respect. This is fair enough, I haven't really done much to earn that, so there's a much more level relationship between us, and being fb friends doesn't seem inappropriate. They're all fb friends with Mr Smith, too.
You're right, but the flipside is that it discourages physical interaction. For every photo emailed to grandfolks in Oz, there is a couple emailing each-other from adjacent rooms.
Google chat across the table, anyone?
O, just me & No2Son then  :facepalm: