Author Topic: Dave Dales Tour plus. Audax 200  (Read 4497 times)

Dave Dales Tour plus. Audax 200
« on: 28 September, 2013, 02:37:46 pm »

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
Re: Dave Dales Tour plus. Audax 200
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2013, 11:32:55 am »
Nice write up. :thumbsup:

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2013, 02:57:32 pm »
Nice one - that is back to back 200s for you isn't it.  Well done!
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2013, 02:39:01 pm »
 :thumbsup: Enjoyed reading your report + pics. I'm plotting a double coast to coast for next year and going through the dales towards the west coast and I may look at your route, that I'm trying to add on another 30 miles to make it up to the magic figure of 500 miles.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2013, 05:42:49 pm »
Just seen this, great write up and super pictures. Impressive time too!!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2015, 12:20:32 pm »
I'll be crossing the Pennines for this one.  Hopefully I will tag along with a few locals, as I can foresee getting lost after Healey!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2017, 05:37:23 pm »
Several years later I finally found a window of opportunity to ride the Dales Dales Tour Plus. Re-reading your blog I was surprised at how little the hills bothered you. I must lose some weight!

http://balancingontwowheels.com/2017/09/dales-dales-tour-plus/

« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2017, 11:07:21 am »
Thanks, Graeme, that was lovely.  Some great pictures;I particularly liked the one with the bank of teasels.  My memory of Gouthwaite reservoir is from years ago but it looked just as low.  It was also covered in green algae, which was very pretty.

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2017, 12:41:27 pm »
Nice write up of a lovely route Graeme.

Mike

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2017, 02:30:30 pm »
There is always room for improvement, trying to get beyond: "I rode down this road, turned, stopped at a cafe etc." but I may have to quit altogether soon because I've heard someone called Hemingway has joined VC167.  :-[

Are the teasels the long stalks with the little brown maracas on the top? Perhaps you can help me with another bit of roadside flora... I wasn't able to identify the source of an overwhelming floral smell which surrounded me somewhere between Kirkby Fleetham and Great Langton. There is a little bridge over the Swale and at first I thought it was wild garlic, then I wondered if it was honeysuckle. The problem is that I'm not well educated in flower-lore and also... this is September not April, so what flowers would be blooming now and giving off such an immersive smell? Carol suggested it could simply have been perfume, but it would be a weird for someone to stop and spray themselves with aromatic hydrocarbons in such an isolated place. "I smelt some flowers": not much to go on is it, but any ideas Peter?

« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:15:53 pm »
That's right about the teasels, Graeme.  There is a sort of aniseed type smell that several plants have throughout the year,including hawthorn, cow parsley and various wild roses.  The likeliest (to me, at any rate) at this time of year might be yarrow, which has white and pink forms flowering at the moment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achillea_millefolium