Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 431510 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2225 on: 31 May, 2020, 11:35:48 pm »
i've hurt my right hip falling off the bike yesterday, couldn't even run today. walked 6.5km this evening, with several attempts to jog at ~6min pace. it was painful, but still feel better for it.

i've signed up for a virtual half-marathon challenge which i should complete next week, if i have to walk it, so be it!

« Reply #2226 on: 03 June, 2020, 06:57:20 am »
CV27 this morning. Got my numbers wrong so had done two CV16s

Struggled with motivation to go so actually went to allotment Monday which should have been a running day and my early alarm wasn't welcoming this morning

Just over 7k and once I'd stopped being as stiff as an old board after 2km was a decent pace for me and quite enjoyable. Think an event or target might help but as trying to take advantage of the light evening's for a cycle can only fit in so many early morning runs

« Reply #2227 on: 03 June, 2020, 10:43:58 am »
World Running Day today!

(No, I didn't know either. Only found out when Garmin Connect gave me a silly digital Internet badge for going for a run today.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2228 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:07:05 am »
Google says its the 5th. Today is apparently World cycling day

« Reply #2229 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:18:18 am »
Google says its the 5th. Today is apparently World cycling day

Try googling again. ;)

It was the 5th June 2019. It's the first Wednesday in June.

« Reply #2230 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:30:07 am »
Well they need to sort their website. Global running day that is not Google. Says June 5th when searched for and when clicked on it says 3rd.

« Reply #2231 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:54:30 am »
To be fair, it's Google that is parsing the Wikipedia page and pulling out the first date it sees and displaying that as the top result for "World running day".

The precis of the actual global running day website lists the correct date.

Anyway, I did my fastest post-ankle 5K by 24s giving me a new VDOT of 33.5 (target is 43). Beats per mile was also down to1479 which is a new (recent) record for me (I did get down to 1309 when I was lighter and doing marathons.)

« Reply #2232 on: 05 June, 2020, 09:44:37 pm »
Well managed a couple of off road runs the last two days at 6 and 9 miles. Nice to be out, although I bruised my instep this evening on a slippery root (route!).

Also wore my fell shoes tonight, which always make me smile. Plus only rained for 2 miles today rather than all the way around yesterday - things are looking up

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2233 on: 08 June, 2020, 07:55:44 am »
did a virtual half-marathon challenge yesterday. having sore right hip from falling off the bike i chose a conservative pace of 4:44/km and finished as planned in under 100min. this run, as expected, aggravated hip injury and i will have to give it at least a month to fully heal before i go out running again.

« Reply #2234 on: 08 June, 2020, 08:31:21 am »
"conservative pace"; I could only dream of being able to run that fast.

Nice pacing, zigzag

Since it was too windy to carry my kayak across the fens to go paddling, I did a 10km jog last night. Knocked 1.5 minutes off my previous best time for 10km. Could have gone faster but several joints weren't happy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2235 on: 08 June, 2020, 08:51:55 am »
thanks, it's all relative, i can also dream about what some other runners can do (but i don't have ambitions to turn into a runner). my "injury-free" target pace would have been 4:14, but as in the old meme, road to success is never a straight line. in the current state, i'm on a lookout for a zimmer frame! ;D

« Reply #2236 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:38:34 am »
Some very impressive workouts there guys.

From my more modest station I have knocked 30 seconds off my pace (per km) over the past two weeks on my short and medium runs.  I am beginning to feel stronger and more capable every time I set out which I have to say is an awesome feeling.  Wednesday will be my first 10k for at least 15 years and I am looking forward to it.

As yet no injuries since starting on this adventure in February and going from C25K to running 10K continuous feels like huge progress.  I still break into a big grin when I pass through 5k on my runs.   :)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2237 on: 08 June, 2020, 11:34:09 am »
in the current state, i'm on a lookout for a zimmer frame! ;D
steel, aluminium, titanium or carbon fibre?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2238 on: 08 June, 2020, 01:55:54 pm »
Did the first run of C25K Week 7 today which was the same as the final run of Week 6 which I did Saturday - that being 5 min warmup walk, 25 min run and then a 5 min cool down walk.

It was definitely harder today. My left ankle and achilles were twingy even during the warmup walk and when I started my run my feet just felt really heavy, a five minute stitch in the middle didn't help either. I was slower overall, the first km at 5:30 pace but the rest at 5:45 where on Saturday's run I had most of the kms at 5:30 or lower.

Still I did it so that's another one ticked off the list.

Not sure what set the ankle off - it was a bit grumbly on my post service shakedown ride of the Trek yesterday but I suspect the repeated crouching down and standing up and running up and down the stairs whilst doing the service were (hopefully) more of a contributor.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2239 on: 08 June, 2020, 02:12:25 pm »
in the current state, i'm on a lookout for a zimmer frame! ;D
steel, aluminium, titanium or carbon fibre?

if there was a choice - bamboo.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2240 on: 08 June, 2020, 08:52:38 pm »
If its any consolation - at the end of December 2016 I crashed on black ice and badly bruised my right hip (bursitis).  I was on crutches for 3 weeks and didn't run until mid March. after quite a lot of physio.  I started running more seriously in July and set my marathon PB in September - running on trails with 400m+ ascent.  A year and a week after the hip injury I ran Dartmoor end to end, 50km over rough terrain.  There are a lot of good exercises for hip injuries which a physio (if you can get to talk to one) can guide you through, which were a key part of my recovery.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2241 on: 08 June, 2020, 10:31:51 pm »
If its any consolation - at the end of December 2016 I crashed on black ice and badly bruised my right hip (bursitis).  I was on crutches for 3 weeks and didn't run until mid March. after quite a lot of physio.  I started running more seriously in July and set my marathon PB in September - running on trails with 400m+ ascent.  A year and a week after the hip injury I ran Dartmoor end to end, 50km over rough terrain.  There are a lot of good exercises for hip injuries which a physio (if you can get to talk to one) can guide you through, which were a key part of my recovery.

thank you, in my experience so far, given enough time, body knows how to repair itself. i suspect there might be some local inflammation (or similar minor issue) after the impact, which i hope will go away without any special treatment. if needs be, i'll have to see a physio - but i'm not in a hurry just yet.

there is almost no pain when riding bikes - which i will carry on doing.

« Reply #2242 on: 08 June, 2020, 10:50:25 pm »
Usual 10k loop today, lots of apathy and wasn't looking forward to it so I decided to take it easy (try and keep HR below 150bpm on the first half and then below 160bpm for the hilly second half). Mostly managed that but found it much more pleasant (or less unpleasant) and only 90s slower than previously. HRavg of 155bpm which is where I wanted it to be. A cooler day did help.

Have two weeks to grind myself into the ground and then I get an easy week thanks to blood donation scheduled for the 21st.

« Reply #2243 on: 09 June, 2020, 12:53:39 am »
Just 5 miles this evening. Off road and ran easy - average HR 142, so top end of Z2. A couple of excursions upwards, but generally just enjoyed being out.

PB, good to see to continuing to build up!

Greenbank - how are you finding the 945? Does the elevation map mean that you get sensible altitude and elevation reports? I did a quick ride yesterday and used the Edge 1000 and it had gain and loss matching to within 3 feet over an hour. The 935 always drifts upwards for the first mile or so.

« Reply #2244 on: 09 June, 2020, 08:57:55 am »
Greenbank - how are you finding the 945? Does the elevation map mean that you get sensible altitude and elevation reports? I did a quick ride yesterday and used the Edge 1000 and it had gain and loss matching to within 3 feet over an hour. The 935 always drifts upwards for the first mile or so.

Haven't really noticed anything different. Never had a noticeable problem with my 935, haven't been doing much riding other than my commute since I've had it (and haven't been on the bike at all since getting the 945).

« Reply #2245 on: 09 June, 2020, 09:34:21 am »
After a bit of rest due to a sore calf in May (after breaking my 5k PB) I went out on Sunday morning and did a half marathon (mostly trail) run to visit MiniQ.  It's only taken 10 attempts since my 20's but at the age of 51 I finally managed to get comfortably under 2 hours and felt I'd probably be able to shave a few minutes more off that if it was a tarmac course.  I don't know why it's such a big deal to me to beat the 2 hour mark but I'm happy ;D

I've worked hard to avoid injury this year and focused on regular running rather than total distance.  This finally seems to have allowed me to build my mileage up to 20+ miles per week reasonably consistently and it's paying off in improved fitness and strength.  The result is no major aches or pains following the half, just a bit of tiredness and stiffness - due largely to sitting at a desk all day.

Happy running (and cycling) everyone :thumbsup:

« Reply #2246 on: 11 June, 2020, 11:25:30 am »
I’ve been booked as a pacemaker by an old friend for Saturday morning. Originally she suggested that I should pace her around 10k at 8 minute mile pace, she appears to be having doubts that that will be fast enough. I am getting a bit nervous as she was pretty quick back in the day and it’s not obvious that she won’t decide to try 7.30 or lower - in which case she will be doing the pacing...

« Reply #2247 on: 11 June, 2020, 11:44:47 am »
A bit tangential, but reading the above post reminded me of one of my running difficulties. I run with a friend who only knows pacing in "x minute mile pace". I only understand "x minute km pace", so often find myself trying to do the mental calculation whilst we run. This is obviously easy for 5 min km/8 min mile, but 4m 30s per km to 7m 15sec per mile is trickier whilst running.

It odd, I can't even remotely comprehend what 6min per mile, or 7 min per mile is, whilst I have a good feel for 3m 45 sec or 4m 20 sec per km is

Davef

Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2248 on: 11 June, 2020, 11:56:54 am »
. I run with a friend who only knows pacing in "x minute mile pace".
With a bit of training that will be down to “VII minute mile pace”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #2249 on: 11 June, 2020, 12:29:29 pm »
A bit tangential, but reading the above post reminded me of one of my running difficulties. I run with a friend who only knows pacing in "x minute mile pace". I only understand "x minute km pace", so often find myself trying to do the mental calculation whilst we run. This is obviously easy for 5 min km/8 min mile, but 4m 30s per km to 7m 15sec per mile is trickier whilst running.

It odd, I can't even remotely comprehend what 6min per mile, or 7 min per mile is, whilst I have a good feel for 3m 45 sec or 4m 20 sec per km is

Indeed, I have no comprehension of minutes per kilometre. What is somewhat concerning is that these days I could probably use minutes per kilometre and have similar numbers to my mind per mile pace from xx years ago:(