Author Topic: Planning an international cycling trip  (Read 2617 times)

Planning an international cycling trip
« on: 06 September, 2018, 02:36:44 pm »
I'm planning an international cycle trip in the future. Does anyone have any handy tips and advice to prepare for this? I'm planning to cycle from Johannesburg to Europe. What is the best time to cycle in Europe, weather related? Your assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you
Your underfloor heating guy.

Re: Planning an international cycling trip
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2018, 04:21:55 pm »
Can you give a bit more detail on where in Europe? And what weather you prefer, you can have just about any weather you want somewhere in Europe.

Also, what sort of tips? Kit, fitness or technical?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2018, 10:50:47 am »
Thank you Pickled Onion.
I'm planning to enter through Spain, after leaving Africa. Then France and then England. After that I will be heading south towards Greece.  Do I need separate visas or is their a special visa for this kind of trip? In England, when is the best time to be there cycling?

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2018, 11:19:47 am »
Visas will depend on what passport you hold. If you have a non-EU passport, you will probably need a visa or a visa waiver to enter the UK. The Schengen area covers most of the continental EU, and again for a non-EU passport you will have to apply for a Schengen visa for the country you're entering the EU in; once this is granted you will be able to spend up to 90 days in the Schengen area without a further visa (but as you will be leaving the Schengen area to travel to the UK, best to check this with your local Spanish embassy or consulate!). As for weather, Northern Europe is basically mild and wet between April and September, but there can be surprises either way - this year we've had freezing temperatures in May, followed by a summer of temperatures in the mid-high thirties centigrade.

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2018, 01:02:33 pm »
Thank you Jakob

That was most helpful indeed. I did not know about the Schengen visa!!! That's great news. As for the weather, that too was helpful. So will be cycling around September. Ps. Im cycling from South Africa, through Sub-Saharan Africa and then entering Europe via Spain. 

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2018, 01:32:57 pm »
September is ideal for cycling in the UK IMO, not too hot or cold and you get about 12 hours of daylight.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2018, 02:10:20 pm »
Greece is in the Schengen area but depending on your route you may be passing through non-Schengen countries. You can get a ferry from Italy which will keep you in Schengen, otherwise you will have to check each of the countries for their requirements. A number of the Balkan states require you to register within 24 hours of arrival regardless of whether you have or need a visa. Don’t let this put you off there is very good cycling in the Balkans.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #7 on: 08 September, 2018, 07:28:38 pm »
If you are going from Spain to France be aware that if you are at the end of august/beginning of september the plains could still be reasonably hot (this year in central France we had temperatures over 30°C ) but crossing the Pyrenees could get quite chilly, even a possibility of snow falling (although not sticking). If you want to visit the Alps on your way north this would be even more true. Flexibility in your route choices and reasonably warm layers would be advisable.
Other than that I'm on the way - stop for a beer if you are in the Limousin (french region which no longer exists!)

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2018, 10:44:03 am »
Thank you Telstar for September idea. Pickeld Onion, thank you for always being helpful. Mzjo,  I see I will have to plan for very cold and hot weather. You guys assistance and input is much appreciated.

« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2018, 10:15:24 am »
Thank you MZJO for your input, I will remember the beer !!!!

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2018, 10:18:54 am »
Warm showers is a great way of finding accommodation and meeting likeminded cyclists when you are planning long cycle trips, its a global network of 85,000 members running on goodwill and a ‘pay it forward’ philosophy, allowing riders to navigate the lonely and sometimes testing side of cycle touring and connect with kindred spirits I cant recommend it enough. I have hosted and been a guest and have only ever had good experiences. I cant recommend it enough. Good luck on your trip, and who knows, if you`re ever in the borders of Brittany, France, drop in and I could show you round the area. Mont St Michel is close by, although I personally feel its best viewed from a distance of a couple of miles.
https://www.warmshowers.org/

« Reply #11 on: 01 October, 2018, 11:51:08 am »
September is ideal for cycling in the UK IMO, not too hot or cold and you get about 12 hours of daylight.
Thank you. This was very helpful indeed. So I will plan for around this time to be in the UK.

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2018, 10:25:47 am »
Why not the southern hemisphere its spring now?

« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2018, 02:19:10 pm »
Warm showers is a great way of finding accommodation and meeting likeminded cyclists when you are planning long cycle trips, its a global network of 85,000 members running on goodwill and a ‘pay it forward’ philosophy, allowing riders to navigate the lonely and sometimes testing side of cycle touring and connect with kindred spirits I cant recommend it enough. I have hosted and been a guest and have only ever had good experiences. I cant recommend it enough. Good luck on your trip, and who knows, if you`re ever in the borders of Brittany, France, drop in and I could show you round the area. Mont St Michel is close by, although I personally feel its best viewed from a distance of a couple of miles.
Thank you Nadir. Someone said that you meet interesting and all kinds of people through these kind of adventures. My trip hasn't even started and I have met so many all ready. Might see you in France!!! :)

« Reply #14 on: 29 October, 2018, 12:38:44 pm »
Whoop whoop, France seems a definite part of my tour. I already have a beer waiting and now I have a tour guide!!! Looking forward to it.