Author Topic: Gas & Electric rates?  (Read 1256 times)

Gas & Electric rates?
« on: 21 April, 2020, 10:25:17 am »
Coming to end of 1yr fixed deal.  What's the word on the street about the best thing to do currently?

have been quoted (by current supplier)  for a 1yr fix, how does this compare with others?

Electricity       Gas    
Tariff Comparison Rate (TCR)              14.856p    2.975p
(Unit rate + stdg charge)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Gas & Electric rates?
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2020, 05:22:26 pm »
Coming to end of 1yr fixed deal.  What's the word on the street about the best thing to do currently?

have been quoted (by current supplier)  for a 1yr fix, how does this compare with others?

Electricity       Gas    
Tariff Comparison Rate (TCR)              14.856p    2.975p
(Unit rate + stdg charge)

Don't trust the TCR - create a spreadsheet that uses your past annual consumption totals to calculate the consumed volume costs and the standing charges separately - that way you get a precise figure and can then plug-in different suppliers' rates   (The element of usage added to the standing charge to get a TCR is obviously variable - at best it's a poor average)

If you want a copy of my Excel template drop me a PM with an email addy

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2020, 01:56:13 pm »
TCR was withdrawn in 2017 because it wasn't accurate enough.  You supplier should tell you what the unit rate for each supply will be, plus the daily standing charge, then you can compare directly yourself.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rob

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2020, 02:29:07 pm »
TCR was withdrawn in 2017 because it wasn't accurate enough.  You supplier should tell you what the unit rate for each supply will be, plus the daily standing charge, then you can compare directly yourself.

They are usually a right bugger to find, though.

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2020, 03:44:49 pm »
Ah, but AO wants to compare his rate with other peoples, so he'll be able to find his, and others can find their current rates:

Mine are 13.69p/kWh electricity and 2.44p/kWh gas, with a standing charge of 22.05p/day for each (so 44.1p/day total)

It's a variable rate from So Energy, which is a Green energy supplier, although 5% is biomass.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Edd

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2020, 04:35:15 pm »
If you know how much you spend a year or the amount you use a year then plug the numbers into the moneysavingexpert site it should give you a good comparison

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2020, 04:48:22 pm »
Thanks all.  Current company's 1yr fix renewal quote is a fair bit better than last year.  I've been on uswitch with our last yrs kWh usage (  I have a excel doc table with the statements details added in etc.), and there's not much diffs really, in the savings for next yr with other companies.

Remind me how it works... if one's elect deal is renewables/fossil/nuc based, the elect off the nat grid is still going to be a mix based the proportion of elect from diff sources which feeds in.  If on a green deal, your money goes to buy green units from power generator company  ??? 

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2020, 05:27:31 pm »
I'm with Green, no gas and economy 7 electric. 12 month fixed contract
12.8p kwh day
8.9p kwh night
20p @ day standing charge

I looked at the comparisons when I last renewed and couldn't find anything cheaper. I could have reduced the standing charge and paid a bit more per unit, but it didn't look like it's make much of a difference.
I'm a low user - I'd like to think I have green cred but really I'm just tight - 1907 kwh last year for £276, I've had a couple of odd visits over the years that I think are to check I'm not fiddling the meter.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2020, 06:03:43 pm »
Like Paul. No gas, economy 7. For comparison
With Bulb
16.66 kwh day
7.53 kwh night
19.06 @ day standing charge

rob

« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2020, 09:42:26 pm »
Bear in mind that there are regional differences in transmission and distribution charges so you can only really compare the actual tariffs with someone else who is in your area.

As for green units, you cannot specifically tag the kWh you buy.   If your supplier is offering a green tariff it is their responsibility to procure enough green power to supply those customers.   They can do this by buying power direct from green generators or buying REGOs in the market.   All suppliers have to publish their fuel mix.