Author Topic: Euro 2020/21  (Read 23471 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Euro 2020/21
« Reply #300 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:14:21 pm »
^ or it will be the ref’s fault, or 100% the fault of one player (either the goalkeeper or preferably one of the non white players, Marcus Radford would be excellent for them as they love to build them up and knock em down).
Ehem.

Ehem what?
It is simpler than it looks.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #301 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:35:05 pm »
Best team won. .......ducks. 
“Football’s coming Rome”

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #302 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:43:36 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #303 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:47:41 pm »
Dez's only interest in the match was that it's the first time since 1966 that the major final has been played using a ball constructed of rectangular strips, or so he tells me.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #304 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:55:33 pm »
You can almost hear their wives accidentally falling down the stairs

« Reply #305 on: 12 July, 2021, 12:11:38 am »
Don't they ever learn? Hit your penalties low and it gives the keeper a better chance to save it
(providing they guess the correct way). :demon: Hit them high like the Bayer Leverkusen player (as I posted upthread).

« Reply #306 on: 12 July, 2021, 12:15:29 am »

Wrong. The best manager won.
By a country mile.
Southgate's a decent guy....but I'm sick of this kind of defensive narrative.
You don't bring on youngsters to take penalties....well, you can do.....but why not bring them on the second half if you think they're worth even half their money.
We sat back, we sat back. we sat back.........bit like saying to the Italians "hey guys, we'll give you loads of time to figure your system out after going a goal down, not a problem".....
Same in 2018.

Roy Keane this evening:
"That best managers gamble"

Mancini 1
Southgate 0

Man of the match for me for England: Maguire, thought he was brilliant ......Pickford played superbly too.
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #307 on: 12 July, 2021, 12:34:26 am »
Pickford's performance changed my view of him, a great effort.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #308 on: 12 July, 2021, 07:13:35 am »
Mouth-breathers on social media saying England lost because black players were allowed to take penalties.  Also fighting with police and trying to bum rush Wembley.  The lagered-up England fan hasn't evolved for the better since the 1980s.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #309 on: 12 July, 2021, 07:52:15 am »
Thought it was all over once Italy got the early goal.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #310 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:08:50 am »
Jurgen K called it.  'England's best chance is to win in 90 min, the longer the match goes on, the more an Italy win is likely'.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #311 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:13:23 am »
Oh well, there's always next time  :P

England were the better team for the opening 20 minutes. After that... I've got nothing to add that hasn't already been said!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #312 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:55:33 am »
Semi final was shine a light, final was lights out. Denmark knew Italy would beat them so never kicked up hell.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #313 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:02:40 am »
Two things you need to know about the Italian national team: they can play dirty, and they are lucky - they often do far better than their general performance would deserve.  I remember backing them to win the 1994 World Cup, and they almost did...until R.Baggio punted a penalty kick over the bar  :facepalm:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #314 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:16:26 am »
The nickname Shawbert O'Carlos (though they probably spell it Shawberto Carlos) has reached Polish TV!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #315 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:19:54 am »
^ or it will be the ref’s fault, or 100% the fault of one player (either the goalkeeper or preferably one of the non white players, Marcus Radford would be excellent for them as they love to build them up and knock em down).
Ehem.

Ehem what?
Mouth-breathers on social media saying England lost because black players were allowed to take penalties.
That. 
I noticed yesterday that all the coverage on the BBC (and on yacf) was Rashford missed a penalty.  I give the Heil 24 hours.  They'll run "PM condems racism" today and then blame MR tomorrow.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #316 on: 12 July, 2021, 10:14:12 am »
Two things you need to know about the Italian national team: they can play dirty, and they are lucky - they often do far better than their general performance would deserve.  I remember backing them to win the 1994 World Cup, and they almost did...until R.Baggio punted a penalty kick over the bar  :facepalm:

Which cost one of my then-employers' building maintenance bods untold quantities of cash; he was on to win a 7-part accumulator.  His six picks at the Cheltenham Festival all romped in and that just left Italy to pwn the World Cup…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #317 on: 12 July, 2021, 10:32:25 am »
Amongst teams who did not reach the final are:-

France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Croatia.  Their players populate English football when it's obviously not necessary!

Oh, and Russia - population 300 zillion.

I think there is only one member of the Italian team playing football in England.  Guess who missed his penalty!  (And is really from Brazil)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #318 on: 12 July, 2021, 01:38:45 pm »
What about your opinion of Rashford :facepalm:

I knew he was going to miss even before he started his run-up - he took way too long about it, then started fannying about, clearly had no confidence in himself.
"He was playing mind games and the post outfoxed him."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #319 on: 12 July, 2021, 02:04:08 pm »
Given the scenes in Leicester Square yesterday, and how it looked this morning, it's clear that the City of London has a better sweeper system than the England team. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #320 on: 12 July, 2021, 02:57:57 pm »

Wrong. The best manager won.
By a country mile.
Southgate's a decent guy....but I'm sick of this kind of defensive narrative.
You don't bring on youngsters to take penalties....well, you can do.....but why not bring them on the second half if you think they're worth even half their money.
We sat back, we sat back. we sat back.........bit like saying to the Italians "hey guys, we'll give you loads of time to figure your system out after going a goal down, not a problem".....
Same in 2018.

Roy Keane this evening:
"That best managers gamble"

Mancini 1
Southgate 0

Man of the match for me for England: Maguire, thought he was brilliant ......Pickford played superbly too.

I agree with most of that, it was very very similar to 2018 against Croatia, the difference being that Croatia at that time were probably better than this Italy are and England in fairness are better now, at least the organisation. Thought Pickford was OK too.

The game was crying out for Grealish - someone who could link up and hold the ball, get free kicks etc... he should have come on for Mount around the 60 minute mark.

I have just read on Wikipedia that it was Saka's first ever penalty at senior level, ever... thats one hell of a responsibility
to put on his young shoulders. Its unfair too. Southgate knows that and frankly while I dont like blame games that's one hell of an error of judgment. The two late subs are not the biggest issue, I think both are established players with a track
record of taking pens.
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #321 on: 12 July, 2021, 03:01:16 pm »
Amongst teams who did not reach the final are:-

France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Croatia.  Their players populate English football when it's obviously not necessary!
If you have the best players playing in your comp it develops your local players.  My "local" club is the Catalan Dragons and the key to developing Frnech local players was bringing in the best international talent for them to learn from.

But you make a fair point, in the WC there will be France and Belgium for England to struggle against.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #322 on: 12 July, 2021, 04:18:08 pm »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #323 on: 12 July, 2021, 04:19:09 pm »
Given that the Italian central defensive pairing had both been booked it seems obvious to me that Grealish should have been put on sooner with the instruction "Run straight down the middle with the ball."  Or am I naive ?
Rust never sleeps