Author Topic: How do you move?  (Read 1791 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
How do you move?
« on: 30 July, 2021, 07:30:30 pm »

Carefully?

My housemate is moving some of her furniture out, and we realised that it won't fit in the lift. With 7 floors of stairs involved, the idea of carrying heavy stuff down the stairs did not appeal.

What's the solution? Well in traditional Amsterdam houses you used a furniture hook, and a block/tackle. But Out building had them removed to reduce maintenance.

If the lift inside the building is too small, stick one outside the building...

First load going down.

Truly impressive parking!

This was a lift thingy that goes up the side of the building. It's mounted on the back of a transit van chassis. You load it up at the top, wave to the man, he brings it down, and loads it into the back of your waiting van.

It's just a platform in the sky. What surprised me is there is absolutely no mechanism for lashing the load down. It just sits there under gravity. Which considering it was quite windy today, I had not expected. The sides fold up, so you can make it into a more box like affair.

All up, it cost €90 for an hour. And it was really quick and simple. Just load up, wave at the guy, wait until it comes back up.

I do wonder if in the UK you'd need to cone off the area, and have stuff to fix it all down etc...

Based on reactions on twitter, I thought some of the Brits would find this interesting.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: How do you move?
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2021, 07:38:45 pm »
Yes, impressive lift, and impressive parking!. Pretty sure I have seen tales of them being used in London too.
We could have used one of those to get our sofa bed out of the flat if the window were big enough, which it is not. Still, we got 20 years out of the thing... not quite sure how long it will take to dismember it enough to get it through our hallway.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2021, 07:40:22 pm »
Yes, impressive lift, and impressive parking!. Pretty sure I have seen tales of them being used in London too.
We could have used one of those to get our sofa bed out of the flat if the window were big enough, which it is not. Still, we got 20 years out of the thing... not quite sure how long it will take to dismember it enough to get it through our hallway.

It can go to the 8th floor and has a max load of 400kg! I was very impressed with the guy. Excellent parking, very helpful, very efficient.

J
--

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2021, 07:41:28 pm »
Next question, how do you manhandle a big heavy item across the balcony onto the platform? Still looks like a major manual handling nightmare.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2021, 07:43:52 pm »
Next question, how do you manhandle a big heavy item across the balcony onto the platform? Still looks like a major manual handling nightmare.

The advantage of having worked in a brewery, and doing regular weight training, is I am not a complete wimp. So I take the bulk of the weight, my housemate balances the end, and you hope a gust of wind doesn't blow what ever you're lifting out your hands. The main big item was the bed base, it was 2m x 1.4m, made of steel, and very heavy, it was a load in it's own right. I can squat 50+kg, but I couldn't lift this on my own.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2021, 09:48:51 pm »
Yeah, that's a pretty impressive device.

Question: did anyone walk underneath the ladder while it was in use? If not, is that because Dutch have the same ladder superstitions as Brits, or just for fear of getting squished, or because the operator told them not, or some other reason like no walks along there anyway?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2021, 09:53:13 pm »
Yeah, that's a pretty impressive device.

Question: did anyone walk underneath the ladder while it was in use? If not, is that because Dutch have the same ladder superstitions as Brits, or just for fear of getting squished, or because the operator told them not, or some other reason like no walks along there anyway?

Yep. The shop below was open. Customers came and went while we moved stuff.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:11:00 pm »
Good thing you weren't wearing a hard hat then, it might have fallen off as you looked down and seriously injured one of them.

« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:21:43 pm »
But can you sit on the sofa while going up or down?

« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:24:18 pm »

and if you can, then when halfway can you shout "sofa so good!"

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:24:48 pm »

I didn't, but a friend did when they moved:

https://twitter.com/qrs/status/1421165350331224067

J
--

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:28:07 pm »
Did the car owners find the parking impressive?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 31 July, 2021, 10:50:57 am »

and if you can, then when halfway can you shout "sofa so good!"
You'll be needing your coat.

Actually that made me laugh. But it is still terrible!
 ;D :D ;D

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2021, 03:11:03 pm »
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 01 August, 2021, 03:12:31 pm »
--

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 01 August, 2021, 07:26:00 pm »
In a mysterious way ~ God, yesterday
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16 on: 01 August, 2021, 08:14:27 pm »
Flipping heck, hard to imagine how that passed any sort of H&S assessment. 
I used to have a certificate to operate a scissor lift (IPAF card), the training is a legal requirement before you're allowed on one, even if it's to assist the main operator.  Full barriers around the platform, harnessed in, the area underneath cordoned off, all the things this would fail on!
Looks fun though :)

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2021, 08:44:19 pm »
Yebbut, this is Brexsh1tBritain, we don't need all these European unelected bureaucrat mandated elf 'n' safety roolz now do we?  Oh, hang on a minute...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 02 August, 2021, 09:41:53 am »
I'm wondering why I never saw one of these in Poland, where tower block living is common* and the lifts, for anything built before the last ten or fifteen years at least, are like QG describes**. Eight floors doesn't cover a whole tower, they tended to be ten, but covers most.

*It has been calculated that due to the amount of green space demanded around each block, Polish blocks achieve a population density barely higher than terraced streets. But they do give you a balcony and the experience of playing football 30m up in the air...

**But worse, in that people smoke in them. Or used to, I expect they've stopped now. It would have been against regulations then, might even be illegal now, but attitudes change, in this case for the better.

« Reply #19 on: 02 August, 2021, 02:30:30 pm »
I'm just looking out of my 4th floor window, to a neighbouring flat across the way & 1 floor down.   Some big chaps have just passed a double height fridge freezer & a tumble dryer over the balcony to another chap on the platform of a cherry picker.   No safety precautions at ground level (empty part of the car park) and no one wearing Helmets ! 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #20 on: 02 August, 2021, 03:00:31 pm »
Just checked a local hire company for cherry pickers: "This equipment can only be hired to Trade Account Customers who have their own insurance for Hired Plant."

« Reply #21 on: 02 August, 2021, 03:29:01 pm »
The cherry picker belongs to the management company that run these flats.  All leaseholders are also shareholders in the management co.  The chaps doing the lifting are employees of the management co & are permanently on site,  so I'd guess a favour was asked.  Possibly involving a few tenners !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 02 August, 2021, 03:56:14 pm »
The removable windows are a good idea, and seem to be key to the process.