Author Topic: The "Ridden lots of bikes, which was your favourite" thread.  (Read 7653 times)

Re: The "Ridden lots of bikes, which was your favourite" thread.
« Reply #25 on: 06 December, 2008, 10:59:37 am »
What a difficult question! There are 8 in the garage at the moment (I'd thought only 7 but I counted them yesterday!). On reflection....9 if add in the Roulandt  vintage 'bent! None would cut it as as my "favourite" out of the 40 or so that have passed through here in last 10 years approx. In fact I'm not really all that keen on any of them.
If pushed, I guess my On One Ti Fixed Xer would win - but it's in good hands with Mal V!
Close second would be an old Raleigh/DynaTech Ti main-tubed rigid mtb that was for over 6 months last year my ONLY bike. Stood me at a princely 100 quid.
Third, a Fuji Mt Fuji Super Light mtb.
Beyond that all a bit of a blur....

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #26 on: 06 December, 2008, 04:32:35 pm »
There's some that weren't great bikes but did the job well, like the Flying Pigeon I had as a student in China. Or ones that I wouldn't think were a big deal now but when I got them were so much better than what I'd had before they seemed quite wonderful, e.g. the Dawes Horizon I did my first big tours on.

Another way of looking at it is 'Which bikes do you regret selling?'. Neither of the above, but certainly my 1954 Holdsworth Monsoon. Such a lovely bike to ride, and my first fixed  :'(

As an aside, LEE's post above, together with the pics, must be a contender for The Library  :)

Spinners

« Reply #27 on: 07 December, 2008, 09:06:26 pm »
Sentimentally, it's the Al Carter 'Black Panther' MTB that first got me into cycling in the early 90's but on performance and looks it would have to be my Thorn Cyclosportif. In short, it has the springy comfort of steel but is able to transmit power to the rear wheel. It's a bit of a flawed diamond as it is heavier than you'd expect for an 853 and it has a head tube a bit too short for my liking. I guess that the search for a new favourite continues!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 07 December, 2008, 09:27:27 pm »
My Thorn Raven Sport Tour, identical in framework to LEE's above, I think. I have flat carbon bars and a sprung saddle as well as a carbon seat-post. Some people question the aesthetics of Thorn bikes, but I've never ridden anything so comfortable and that's what counts. It's not fast, but that suits me fine, and I can ride it all day.

The Mercian is also very lovely, and I rode it on this year's Dun Run without problems but I reckon the Thorn will be the bike that I keep on riding until I'm too old to ride a bike any more. I also like the tandem, but it's not so comfy as the solo Thorn.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.