Author Topic: Is this legal?  (Read 1685 times)

D0m1n1c Burford

Is this legal?
« on: 14 May, 2008, 12:48:04 pm »
Whilst commuting to work this morning, a motorist took exception to my cycling, due to the fact that I made him slow down at a junction.  I won't go into the details, suffice to say that he turned his vehicle around in the road drove after me, and proceeded to use his car to try and block me in so I couldn't pass - presumably so he could get out and play the big man.  He did this twice before he gave up and drove off.  As it was a large 4x4, this was a rather disconcerting experience.  The driver obviously has issues. 

Is using a vehicle in such an intimadating manner legal?  What would be the likely police response had I noted his number and reported him?

Julian

• samoture
Re: Is this legal?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:51:05 pm »
I make that obstructing the highway and careless driving, myself.  I think it depends on your police force as to whether they have a word with him or do nothing at all.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 12:54:06 pm »
It is an offence.  Best to report him to the police for an offence under Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 - driving without reasonable consideration.  The CPS guidance on this states:

"This offence is appropriate when the driving amounts to a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience or aggressiveness. There must, however, also be some inconvenience to other road users, for example, forcing other drivers to move over and/or brake as a consequence. The following examples are typical of what we are likely to regard as inconsiderate driving:

- flashing of lights to force other drivers in front to give way;
- misuse of any lane to avoid queuing or gain some other advantage over other drivers;
- unnecessarily remaining in an overtaking lane;
- unnecessarily slow driving or braking without good cause;
- driving with un-dipped headlights which dazzle oncoming drivers;
- driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed;
- driving a bus in such a way as to alarm passengers. "

Hope this helps
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 06:35:29 pm »
- flashing of lights to force other drivers in front to give way;
- misuse of any lane to avoid queuing or gain some other advantage over other drivers;
- unnecessarily remaining in an overtaking lane;
- unnecessarily slow driving or braking without good cause;
- driving with un-dipped headlights which dazzle oncoming drivers;
- driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed;
- driving a bus in such a way as to alarm passengers.

Hmm.  I think I see all of those regularly.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.