Author Topic: Blocked bus lane - should I complain?  (Read 3093 times)

Blocked bus lane - should I complain?
« on: 20 May, 2008, 01:00:25 pm »
I don't know if this is related to the reduced congestion we've been commenting on or not, but I've started noticing that every day as I get to the bus/cycle lane it is blocked by a bus with its hazard lights on.   It obviously can't be a broken down bus, unless that company has a terrible maintenance schedule, so I am guessing that the bus is ahead of schedule and therefore just waiting.

But, is it acceptable to block a bus/cycle lane whilst stopping on double yellow lines?  A few minutes after this time the lane is outside of its normal operating hours, so therefore (if I'm late) I couldn't even claim that my "cycle" lane was obstructed as it doesn't exist; that lane is just one of three lanes available to all traffic**.

Should I ignore this, or write to the company?

** not that anybody can read the signs.  The other saturday I needed to get two new tyres for the car.  I was able to drive at 30mph (manically looking out for crossing pedestrians) straight past a quarter of a mile of two lanes of queuing drivers, before cutting through the green filter light (they had red) out to the outside lane and past another 0.1 miles of drivers who'd merged early into one lane.  The shop had the car up on jacks and the wheels off and I was watching the traffic I'd passed in that queue come past ;D ::-)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: Blocked bus lane - should I complain?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:32:42 pm »
How about using the telephone and asking why it's there?
Might be a nice unofficial way to sort it out.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

ian

« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2008, 09:01:30 pm »
It's well known that activating the hazard lights transports any motorist into an alternate reality where the usual rules of parking and driving don't apply. There's little point in complaining, there's no known method to communicate with this alternate reality.

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:55:25 pm »
It's well known that activating the hazard lights transports any motorist into an alternate reality where the usual rules of parking and driving don't apply. There's little point in complaining, there's no known method to communicate with this alternate reality.

It's because they're called "Parking lights" and allow you to park anywhere, especially in the "Keep Clear" zones outside schools at drop-off/pick-up times.

[EDIT] Other get out clauses for illegal parking seem to be that parking within 10m of a junction (against the advice of HWC Rule 243) is ok if it's right next to a church and you're going to Mass. Two Hail Marys and one Our Father I believe.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2008, 08:52:38 am »
Yes - I experienced some people leaving church with less than complete love for their neighbour's welfare on Sunday... ::-)
Getting there...

spen666

« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2008, 11:49:24 am »

It's because they're called "Parking lights" and allow you to park anywhere, especially in the "Keep Clear" zones outside schools at drop-off/pick-up times.

[EDIT] Other get out clauses for illegal parking seem to be that parking within 10m of a junction (against the advice of HWC Rule 243) is ok if it's right next to a church and you're going to Mass. Two Hail Marys and one Our Father I believe.

I think the same applies to Mosques, Chapels, Synagogues, temples etc

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2008, 11:57:05 am »
It's de rigeur to park opposite T-junctions near us, meaning a very, very sharp right turn out of the minor road onto the wrong side of the major road.  It's not as if they don't have off-road parking, but I appreciate shuffling two cars morning and evening is always problematic.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2008, 03:11:52 pm »

Orthodox Jews don't drive on the Sabbath and Holy Days. People are seen walking in the street, talking to friends and neighbours, who would have thunk it?

Some who do drive, discreetly park their cars a few streets away from the synagogue so as not to upset the Rabbi. Poor parking would lead to embarrassing complaints, so it seldom happens...
... on the Sabbath.

fuzzy

« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2008, 03:40:15 pm »
The other clause for dodgy manouvering is 'It is called a drive. if I was supposed to reverse onto my drive it would be called a reverse. it is my drive and I will drive on to it"

I've always thought it faster to revers on and drive off opf a drive. Less waiting around.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2008, 04:42:10 pm »

.. chip shops, laundrettes ...
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2008, 04:42:42 pm »
I've always thought it faster to revers on and drive off opf a drive. Less waiting around.
Isn't/wasn't it a legal requirement?  I recall in my driving lessons I was taught never to reverse into the flow of traffic.  I also recall as recently as 20 years ago householders being admonished by the police for reversing into the road.  But that was 20 years ago when parking laws etc were enforced - sometimes at least, like the friend who was visited by a local bobby to talk about his habit of parking opposite a junction.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2008, 05:36:42 pm »
177. Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When
using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

It used to be 177, but I can't find a downloadable version of the Highway Code to check the new number.
It is simpler than it looks.

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 21 May, 2008, 05:44:23 pm »
It's de rigeur to park opposite T-junctions near us, meaning a very, very sharp right turn out of the minor road onto the wrong side of the major road.  It's not as if they don't have off-road parking, but I appreciate shuffling two cars morning and evening is always problematic.
Was the junction there when they bought the house (and/or 2nd car) ?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2008, 08:15:09 pm »

.. chip shops, laundrettes ...
[/quote]

Houses, lamp-posts, litterbins...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.