Author Topic: Suggesta Junction  (Read 3105 times)

Suggesta Junction
« on: 20 May, 2008, 01:08:38 pm »
Please nominate your choice of junctions in London for a) red light jumping cyclists and b) motor vehicles doing same.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Tiger

Re: Suggesta Junction
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:14:31 pm »
I think the best place to jump the lights on a bike is down Notting Hill - because one is usually travelling at high speed. The art is being able top keep the speed up going through the cars stuck at the lights - it can be quite frightening!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:18:39 pm »
I don't think that's *quite* what Mikey meant...I think he was after places where other people do it.  We're Proper Cyclists and would never do such a thing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2008, 02:18:47 pm »
Please nominate your choice of junctions in London for a) red light jumping cyclists and b) motor vehicles doing same.

For motor vehicles try the Hanger Lane Gyratory when it's busy.

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2008, 02:19:35 pm »
Anywhere on Trafalgar Square for RLJing motor vehicles.  Probably the worst place on my commute.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:06:35 pm »
Where Kingsland Road meets the Balls Pond Road / Dalston Lane.  The number of times I've seen buses RLJ'ing is truly staggering.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

cometworm

« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:25:43 pm »

For cyclist RLJs, the junction of City Road and Upper St at Angel is ridiculous. There's a steady stream of pedalestrians on mtb's with the seat too low dodging buses and trucks crossing.

rr

« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:29:35 pm »
North end of Southwark Bridge

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:38:36 pm »
Is this a London forum?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:38:56 pm »
Is this a London forum?

Yes, now get out!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:59:24 pm »
Is this a London forum?

Well the red light jumping is worse in the country of London so they have an easier chance of naming a bad junction.

Here outside the M25 it's just a randomness of muppets on bikes instead of the norm.

« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2008, 04:33:56 pm »
A lot of the junctions on the northern side of the Thames were the river crossing road meets Embankment eg Battersea Bridge, but some other bridges seem as bad.

Also, some T-Junctions, where the cyclists are going along the head of the T, so don't think they should stop.  Of course this is a recipe for disaster at places like Clapham Common where it's only a T-Junction for cars, but it's a X-Roads for cyclists. :demon:  (not that I've had several near misses or anything...)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2008, 04:59:45 pm »
Park Road/Burnaby Road junction, cars and bikes  >:(

Oh sorry, you said Lundun.

rae

« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:06:06 pm »
Where Kingsland Road meets the Balls Pond Road / Dalston Lane.  The number of times I've seen buses RLJ'ing is truly staggering. 

To be honest the whole of the Kingsland Road is a bloody war zone for cyclists.  Crappest driving in the whole of London.  I feel quite justified in taking the Land-Rover when I go down there.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2008, 06:36:20 pm »
Any junction with traffic lights in Aberdeen. I think the motorists believe that freedom to RLJ was part of the devolution deal  :demon:

« Reply #15 on: 21 May, 2008, 12:27:43 am »
Clapham Common is fairly benign.
The bottom of Cedars Road is a classic for RLJs from cyclists and buses.
Oakley Street into Kings Road is also another classic for RLJs from taxis and buses.

Chris S

« Reply #16 on: 21 May, 2008, 12:32:23 am »
OT, but the driver of the Bus Replacement Service between Newbury and Reading on Sunday, didn't seem particularly bothered about stopping at any lights, regardless of which light was showing.