Author Topic: Commuting un-joys  (Read 8655 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Commuting un-joys
« on: 29 May, 2008, 09:47:27 am »
I was enjoying a nice ride in this morning. Everything was going swimmingly. No wind. Good legs. I was making the most of the draft from a Stockport council swimming bus when the driver for a grey VW Golf registration MT54 VLM passed me. I was pot-hole dodging in secondary position. She was too close, especially considering it took her an age to pass me. I was keeping  pace with the traffic and I had to ease off in order to open up a gap to let her in.

I let go as we hit some open road. The next two drivers to pass overtook me properly. "I hope the driver of that Golf was watching in her rear view mirror", I thought to myself.

I caught her up at the next set of lights and stood by the drivers window. I waited a full five seconds before she noticed me. I had rehearsed what I was going to say in my head. "You're supposed to overtake, not pass". Any how I didn't say a word. I couldn't get one in with the torrent of abuse that flowed from her vile angry mouth. Whilst we were still stationary, she flagged down a police panda car heading in the opposite direction.

The police woman driving the panda car managed to shut the woman up after she had yelled that I was all over the road and that she had to cross into the other lane to pass me and that I had shouted at and threatened her. (I did manage to utter something about cyclists, horses and mopeds and allowing them as much space as you would a car when overtaking, but I honestly don't think it was audiable).

The officer threatened us both with a public order offence if "we" didn't shut up. She then asked if anyone was hurt, then told us to get on our way. The police officer did as if I was turning left, to which I said "yes". I think she assumed the VW Golf driver was going straight on as she wasn't signalling.

Anyway, I had the pleasure of passing the VW Golf driver again as she was stuck in traffic and I wanted to get to work. This was after having witnessed her cross an ASL on a red light. When I passed she said "If you f*ck1ng  pass me again I will knock you off".

I've never had a response like that before from a woman driver. In fact I haven't had a verbal threat that someone would deliberately try and do that. It took my breath away. And not in a good way either.

On a plus note, making my way along the A57 Hyde road last night towards  Hyde, an Audi A6 passed me and then a police van. They pulled the A6 driver over. The A6 did pass a bit close, but not more than what I'd normally expect so I don't think it was that. Speeding could have been a possibility though. Again, I've never had that happen before!

Commuting definately makes life colourful!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Commuting un-joys
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:55:48 am »
I think you're performing a valuable service to other cyclists, magnetically attracting all the nutters on the road and keeping the risk down for the rest of us  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:56:18 am »
This is when you want a VIO POV or an Archos camera, so you can rewind and show the police person how the driver is lying, and/or record their threats.   Oops!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:57:38 am »
Do you have a "kick me" sign on your back, Daniel?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:59:00 am »
You ought to start a wing-mirror collection :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:04:23 am »
Chill!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:10:46 am »
That's harsh. 

I think I would have simply ridden away if a police officer started telling me off as well.  Being harangued by two nutters at once is more than ICBA to put up with first thing in the morning.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:14:47 am »
Do you have a "kick me" sign on your back, Daniel?

I'm starting to wonder! To be fair I can count the number of hair raising moments since moving to Manchester on two hands and it's been over twelve months since I moved. That's a lot better than in Telford. Even more so when considering I'm completely car-free now so cycling much more and I'm regularly cycling to/from Gorton which has statistically the highest number of uninsured drivers in the UK.

You ought to start a wing-mirror collection :thumbsup:

I've only one touched (slapped?) a cagers cage and I vowed would never to do it again!

Not sure why I need to chill Frenchie, I couldn't be more relaxed.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:16:01 am »
"If you f*ck1ng  pass me again I will knock you off".

Aw, bless her little trapped will-to-power.  :)

Responses that I've used to that line:

"Yeah, sure you will, big boy"  (while stroking beard)

"You'd better kill me when you do it because if you don't I'll f---- track you down and set fire to house and assrape your f---- babies"  (when not in such a conciliatory mood ;) )
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:17:06 am »
 :o

Coming from a weird-bearded, much-pierced chap, the latter one  really would be scary.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:18:34 am »
In todays incident I wouldn't have put myself in the position for the woman to have a go at you, I wouldn't have "stood by the drivers window". Stay behind the drivers who pissed you off, don't rehearse what you are going to say and get ready to say it. Let the moment pass. That is how I interpret Frenchie's advice.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:34:02 am »
In todays incident I wouldn't have put myself in the position for the woman to have a go at you, I wouldn't have "stood by the drivers window". Stay behind the drivers who pissed you off, don't rehearse what you are going to say and get ready to say it. Let the moment pass. That is how I interpret Frenchie's advice.

Fair comment.

I've approached quite a number of drivers now over the last 8/9 months where:
a) They've done something really bad
b) They clearly don't understand something
c) I have a clear route of escape
d) They look like they can be reasoned with

I approached this lady because when she passed she pipped her horn and slowed right down. I also thought she could be reasoned with.

I've found where I've judged carefully, stayed calm and well reasoned, the result of the conversation with the driver has been quite satisfactory. Surprisingly so.

I've also found making a joke or sarcastic remark works quite well to. My favourite is "you must have good thighs pedalling that" with ASL offenders. It works best with bus drivers. As does smiling and saying Hello.

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:36:07 am »

Coming from a weird-bearded, much-pierced chap, the latter one  really would be scary.

Yes, I don't think it would have quite the same effect coming from, say, Liz.

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:37:23 am »
Report the incident to the police.  Fill in the paperwork as it should be recorded the she cannot control her rage.  What if she actually knocks someone off, while in this angry state.

Hopefully all the rage will bring on a karma rebuttal.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:38:22 am »

Has Liz got a beard ???

« Reply #15 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:47:27 am »

Yep, me too. These people are out there and they're a hazard to be dealt with like any other. You can't reason with them. If they attempt to engage you in conversation, replying in a foreign language be quite effective at baffling them. Keep switching until you find one they don't know. The modal average number of switches required is zero.

OTOH if a driver had flagged down a police car like that my opening gambit would have been, "Good morning officer, I wish to report a case of dangerous driving and threating behaviour."

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

annie

« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:49:28 am »
I think sometimes it is best to avoid confrontation.  This morning whilst running a woman suddenly pulled over to our side of the road and mounted the pavement in front of us, this was on an ascent.  I just gave her a look, she mumbled a load of abuse about something or other.  We just kept on running. 

Take a deep breath and know that you would not lower yourself to their level.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:49:54 am »
OTOH if a driver had flagged down a police car like that my opening gambit would have been, "Good morning officer, I wish to report a case of dangerous driving and threating behaviour."

Yup!  But how often have I tried to flag down a Police car that's actually observed illegal/dangerous behaviour, and they've just driven on? ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #18 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:57:24 am »

Has Liz got a beard ???

A healthy sense of self-preservation prevents me from answering that in the way I'd really like to.

;D

« Reply #19 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:08:18 am »

Yup!  But how often have I tried to flag down a Police car that's actually observed illegal/dangerous behaviour, and they've just driven on? ::-)

She hasn't really got the option of driving off in this case, has she? A member of the public has attempted to report a crime to her.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:08:55 am »
No, I meant the Police driving on!
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:09:15 am »
Get a helmet cam and post these incidents on youtube  :D

« Reply #22 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:15:14 am »

That's what I meant too. Once the mentally unstable cager had managed to flag the police car down and the officer came over to investigate, said officer is bound to follow up any report of a crime made to her. That's my understanding anyway. Maybe there'll be a nofficer along in a minute to comment on that.

annie

« Reply #23 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:40:27 am »

Has Liz got a beard ???

A healthy sense of self-preservation prevents me from answering that in the way I'd really like to.

;D

She most certainly has not, skin as soft as a peach :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #24 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:40:53 am »

That's what I meant too. Once the mentally unstable cager had managed to flag the police car down and the officer came over to investigate, said officer is bound to follow up any report of a crime made to her. That's my understanding anyway. Maybe there'll be a nofficer along in a minute to comment on that.

Yebbut that follow up can be an immediate decision to NFA the incident.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes