Author Topic: New French law bans recumbents?  (Read 6730 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: New French law bans recumbents?
« Reply #25 on: 29 September, 2022, 04:51:16 pm »
My first experience of Belgian cycle paths was  being dumped on the wrong side of the road at the end of the canal route into Bruges from the Netherlands.

If that’s the route coming in from Damme, I think I know the point you are talking about just as you come to the outskirts of Bruges. In which case there is a cycle crossing onto the right of the N374 as you join that road. I found that area a joy to cycle around, with a combination of cycle paths, many alongside the canals, and very quiet rural roads.

Yes that's the one, I missed the crossing as I could see the jct and after a few seconds going the wrong way thought, hud oan, thons no richt.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #26 on: 29 September, 2022, 05:26:50 pm »
My first experience of Belgian cycle paths was  being dumped on the wrong side of the road at the end of the canal route into Bruges from the Netherlands.

If that’s the route coming in from Damme, I think I know the point you are talking about just as you come to the outskirts of Bruges. In which case there is a cycle crossing onto the right of the N374 as you join that road. I found that area a joy to cycle around, with a combination of cycle paths, many alongside the canals, and very quiet rural roads.

Yes that's the one, I missed the crossing as I could see the jct and after a few seconds going the wrong way thought, hud oan, thons no richt.

It was more obvious when we were there last month.

« Reply #27 on: 29 September, 2022, 08:15:50 pm »
For those who read french this is the vélorizontal (francophone bent forum) take on the subject
http://velorizontal.1fr1.net/t27274-les-velomobile-et-velo-couche-reconnus-par-le-code-de-la-route-belge?highlight=velos+couch%C3%A9s+sur+piste+cyclable+en+Belgique

I've only just searched for this, haven't yet read it end to end, much less logged in to comment!

« Reply #28 on: 30 September, 2022, 09:15:08 am »
I can confirm that where there is a cycle path riders must use them. The usually respectful truck drivers take great exception to law breakers.
Unless it’s changed, you can have a group ride on the road, but only if you have a suitably marked following car.

In terms of speed, Brummers can and do use the bike path. Useful for some paced training.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 30 September, 2022, 09:16:34 am »
In terms of speed, Brummers can and do use the bike path. Useful for some paced training.
That'll be Kim on her Red Baron.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 02 October, 2022, 04:04:24 pm »
In Denmark I was delighted that the taxi driver (who have never failed to amaze me with their sharp elbows all over the world) had to wait to turn right across an adjacent bike path. It can be done - I like it.
Cruzbike V2k, S40