Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 286171 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
A friend is driving back to Southend from Arnisdale today and tomorrow. She has already encountered one fallen tree across the road, which she was hoping to be able to move by hand.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Fubar is reporting loads more trees down, closed roads and power cuts. I guess a lot of trees were vulnerable after Arwen.

Our new shed is still standing  :thumbsup:

BBC has said a woman has been killed utterly to DETH by a collapsing tree somewhere near Furryboottoon.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Fubar is reporting loads more trees down, closed roads and power cuts. I guess a lot of trees were vulnerable after Arwen.

Our new shed is still standing  :thumbsup:

BBC has said a woman has been killed utterly to DETH by a collapsing tree somewhere near Furryboottoon.

Yup, in Mastrick, a Furryboottoon 'burb up there ^^^.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
And we've got Storm Corrie heading towards us tomorrow  :hand:

Quiet, cold and sunny here in the North Pennines this morning.
Time to go and view the choas from Storm Malik, and prepare for Storm Corrie.
The big windbreak, made with telegraph poles concreted into the ground, is being propped up by the arm and bucket of the digger...
We had nowhere near cleared up after Storm Arwen.
While villages all around lost electricity, our supply, (put underground a few years ago with a grant from the AONB so it looked prettier) hung on.
No-one believes a word Northern Powergrid says anymore
If this is going to happen every couple of months, there will be nothing left...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Sounds like Corrie has arrived.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I thought we were going with the more alphabetical "Storm Nut-Nut" for this one?    ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
The big windae is creaking again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Nope again

nope again by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Lights flickering.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Nope again

nope again by The Pingus, on Flickr

They're going to Newcastle London Paris Barcelona.

FTFY ;)

Another windy night in the North Pennines.
Yesterday we lashed the  top of the wobbly telegraph pole in the big windbreak to some guy ropes attached to a one-ton dumpy bag of aggregate that just happened to be lying around.
Happy to see this morning that it has not acted like a giant catapult and pepple-dashed the big shed!
Lots of homes up here stlll without electric after Malik, and some have been on generators since Arwen.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
It’s even blowing a bit down here in London’s famous London, though obv not at the levels experienced by you hardy Northern types.

Hmm - forecast - 39knot gusts.

Reality - I'm watching the double glazing bend and the house is shaking. Tomorrow will be 'count how many tiles have come off' day.

Reports are coming in of gusts over 90mph in our area.

Lights keep flickering on and off.

And as I typed that at 7pm last night, the power went. Currently in cafe, trying to get some work done.

Power on briefly this morning, enough to find out that the oil stove/boiler was refusing to light. Started dissembling it, power went again. Not forecast to be back on until sometime tomorrow at the earliest.

Mobile phone mast has gone as well.

We are lucky. We still have a roof.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Very windy here in Germany too - I drove my little Smart Cabrio on an elevated section of road crossing the railway line in Kempen and it all seemed a bit blowy.

Tomorrow evening I am crossing the North Sea from Hoek van Holland to Harwich so that might be interesting. I've crossed on the ferry in a Force 9 before now and it was OK, so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Very windy here in Germany too - I drove my little Smart Cabrio on an elevated section of road crossing the railway line in Kempen and it all seemed a bit blowy.

Tomorrow evening I am crossing the North Sea from Hoek van Holland to Harwich so that might be interesting. I've crossed on the ferry in a Force 9 before now and it was OK, so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
We had a force 12 plus last night. People were being advised not to try driving any vehicle, let alone something as small as a smart car.
It is hard to get a grasp of what 100 mph winds are really like. Houses actually physically shake even when they're extremely solid, made of concrete. Walking is nearly impossible
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Much better for my crossing tonight:

Winds: W/NW force 5 - 7
 Seas: Slight / Moderate
 Weather: Showers
 Visibility: Moderate
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Don't know about the feeder but the bird's would welcome a hanger  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

Now named Storm Dudley for Wed night into Thursday, followed by Storm Eunice on Friday - with snow.
Wake Up Northern Powergrid, time to redeem yourselves.

ian

What, praytell, is the strange banging noise during last night's atmospheric flatulence?

That will be a chunk of our facia, which is now on the driveway. Looks like a nice bit of rotten wood behind it too, hence the detachment. Better phone a grown-up.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Checked the weather before venturing out to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.  Warning of damaging winds in London’s famous London on Friday.  But is will be sunny for the early part of this afternoon.

Got soaked >:(

ian

Yes, lots of grown-ups can come and fix the roof (apparently it's a box-end) but not for a week or three. Checks weather forecast for the next five days...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Doesn’t sound good.  If the roof blows off the Asbestos Palace the BEARS will be able to get in and raid the fridge.