Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333755 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #475 on: 10 May, 2014, 03:31:47 pm »
Wash up commando.  With suitable organic, hypo-allegergenic, eco-friendly washing up liquid you shouldn't need Marigolds.
If you can get your hands into the water without Marigolds, the water isn't hot enough.

Not quite true.

For most people that is the case, but, as people on this forum will testify, I have a) asbestos hands and b) a higher than normal pain threshold...

I think this statement is technique-dependent.
I apply detergent with a warm scourer and scrub if necessary. The dishes then get rinsed in very hot water, which seldom touches my paws.
I don't leave my dishes wallowing in tepid soapy water and drain them unrinsed.  :sick:

« Reply #476 on: 10 May, 2014, 04:44:55 pm »
Mrs O, Japanese, has always been horrified by the apparently common English habit of not rinsing crockery and cutlery. (Lemon flavoured washing up liquid?  :facepalm:).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #477 on: 10 May, 2014, 05:04:41 pm »
Wash up commando.  With suitable organic, hypo-allegergenic, eco-friendly washing up liquid you shouldn't need Marigolds.
If you can get your hands into the water without Marigolds, the water isn't hot enough.

Not quite true.

For most people that is the case, but, as people on this forum will testify, I have a) asbestos hands and b) a higher than normal pain threshold...

I think this statement is technique-dependent.
I apply detergent with a warm scourer and scrub if necessary. The dishes then get rinsed in very hot water, which seldom touches my paws.
I don't leave my dishes wallowing in tepid soapy water and drain them unrinsed.  :sick:
I run very hot water into the washing-up bowl with Fairy in it, sloosh it around to make bubbles, wash the glasses and rinse them with the water as it runs, then wash everything else in the hot soapy water, in this order: mugs, bowls, plates, cutlery, pans and stack them on the drainer so the water runs off them and they dry.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #478 on: 10 May, 2014, 06:00:48 pm »
Mrs O, Japanese, has always been horrified by the apparently common English habit of not rinsing crockery and cutlery. (Lemon flavoured washing up liquid?  :facepalm:).

Likewise my Danish Mum!
Mum learned to wash up from her mother, who had to get instructions from a book borrowed from a public library after they fled Germany.
Prior to that, the maid had always washed the dishes so my grandmother knew not what to do.
[First world problem from a bygone era] 

« Reply #479 on: 10 May, 2014, 06:06:06 pm »
Something similar to Helly, although I do change the water sometimes as the thought of cross contamination between, say, hummus and port, makes me come over quite peculiar.  :)

« Reply #480 on: 10 May, 2014, 07:27:23 pm »
I keep the water running as I wash up. It's terribly wasteful, but it's just the way I've always done it. :facepalm:

« Reply #481 on: 10 May, 2014, 08:35:31 pm »
I run the water into the bowl of plates whilst I'm washing and rinsing the glasses. Then kill the water and just flush the plates with the bowl water. Can't say I've ever noticed soapy tasting plates but then I don't have very bubbly water.

I also wash up in order of dirty/greasiness changing the washing up water if needed.

Probably not the best approach but seems to work.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #482 on: 11 May, 2014, 03:03:49 pm »
Assuming freshly dirtied dishes then mostly Helly's method although we use running hot water and annoyingly our kitchen sink hot tap is FULL-on, stuttering or off which I *hate* but we can't fix without epic amounts of kitchen remodelling which isn't allowed or worth it in rented house.

If dried on dishes then washing up liquid in sink + dishes and hot water. Soak for 5-10 mins, then scrub dishes till most stuff has come off. Empty sink and stack part washed plates if poss to one side and rinse in bloody hot clean running water.

I don't usually bother with gloves and find bog standard fairy used sparingly as needed works well.  Don't believe in sodding bowls either and have taken to hiding the one at work people use for dumping their stuff unwashed (grrr) so they can't do that so much...

« Reply #483 on: 12 May, 2014, 09:31:36 am »
Rinse under tap, open door, place dirty things on shelves and press button.......... ;D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #484 on: 12 May, 2014, 10:42:31 am »
Rinse under tap, open door, place dirty things on shelves and press button.......... ;D

+1
 :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #486 on: 12 May, 2014, 07:22:05 pm »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10812086/I-make-120000-but-I-cant-recall-the-last-time-we-went-out-for-dinner.html

The boys are flexi-boarders, so they stay at school on various nights of the week,” says Jackson. “Annually it’s costing £45,000 after tax, which is a considerable outlay, but I’m happy to pay because I want them to have the best start.
Fuck me.  That's 4 times my annual salary.  Gross.

Jackson’s tone is matter-of-fact. Like the rest of the Squeezed Middle, he is keenly aware that his situation evokes little sympathy. “I know if I were to have a conversation with someone on a council estate, they would think I was mad,” says Jackson, wryly.
Erm... not just on council estates. 

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #487 on: 12 May, 2014, 10:29:45 pm »
In the olden days if I searched for my name (with Alta-Vista) I would find myself in the first few entries.  I googled myself and I did not appear until page thirteen.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #488 on: 13 May, 2014, 10:41:46 am »
In the olden days if I searched for my name (with Alta-Vista) I would find myself in the first few entries.  I googled myself and I did not appear until page thirteen.
I just googled "CommuteTooFar" and you filled the first page.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#nfpr=1&q=commutetoofar refers.

You clearly are not doing it right.

Incidentally, congratulations on your first place!

http://omgili.com/thread/FYJ2xGwtw8Fbj1YZkBjL0Uii.P_CBAXUfAYOBCWVOoM8beIdWQjvnoC43P3AvSDlqrUbv7qzBPY-/

:thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #489 on: 13 May, 2014, 06:33:13 pm »
The supermarket had no cocktail sticks  :o   How am I going to make sure that my free range, juniper smoked bacon stays neatly wrapped around my organic asparus spears, whilst they are under the grill  ???
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #490 on: 13 May, 2014, 06:34:25 pm »
The supermarket had no cocktail sticks  :o   How am I going to make sure that my free range, juniper smoked bacon stays neatly wrapped around my organic asparus spears, whilst they are under the grill  ???

Boots.  Toothpicks.
Btdt
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #491 on: 13 May, 2014, 06:55:34 pm »
Sprigs of your own. home grown, organic rosemary?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #492 on: 13 May, 2014, 07:08:30 pm »
I had a spoke replaced at the LBS. My Velox rim tape has been replaced by ugly red stuff!

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #493 on: 14 May, 2014, 08:27:31 am »
I had a spoke replaced at the LBS. My Velox rim tape has been replaced by ugly red stuff!

That isn't a first world problem, thats a hanging offence.  There is ony one true rim tape...  In the beginning there was the word, and the word was Velox.
Wombat

« Reply #494 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:33:29 am »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10812086/I-make-120000-but-I-cant-recall-the-last-time-we-went-out-for-dinner.html

The boys are flexi-boarders, so they stay at school on various nights of the week,” says Jackson. “Annually it’s costing £45,000 after tax, which is a considerable outlay, but I’m happy to pay because I want them to have the best start.
Fuck me.  That's 4 times my annual salary.  Gross.

Jackson’s tone is matter-of-fact. Like the rest of the Squeezed Middle, he is keenly aware that his situation evokes little sympathy. “I know if I were to have a conversation with someone on a council estate, they would think I was mad,” says Jackson, wryly.
Erm... not just on council estates.

Not so much the squeezed middle as the stupid middle, and to be honest with that salary he's not the middle either.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #495 on: 15 May, 2014, 10:57:55 am »
Last night I had to book a table at Pizza Express. 5min on the phone, working my way through the most hideous automated booking system on earth. After I'd ranted about how crap it was for 10 min, my wife pointed out I could have booked via a web page with 3 clicks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #496 on: 15 May, 2014, 11:38:14 am »
Last night I had to book a table at Pizza Express. 5min on the phone, working my way through the most hideous automated booking system on earth. After I'd ranted about how crap it was for 10 min, my wife pointed out I could have booked via a web page with 3 clicks.

There's also 'an app for that' :)

ian

« Reply #497 on: 15 May, 2014, 12:03:40 pm »
My cats will only eat premium 'vet-approved' cat food. I fear that I too may be part of the squeezed middle.

Will I be OK if I eat 'essentials' blueberries rather than the premium ones?

« Reply #498 on: 15 May, 2014, 12:45:27 pm »
Feeling extra stressed because I can't get the little bit of plastic wrapping off the top of my bottle of Bach Rescue Remedy.  :-[

« Reply #499 on: 15 May, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »
Feeling extra stressed because I can't get the little bit of plastic wrapping off the top of my bottle of Bach Rescue Remedy.  :-[
Bach Rescue Remedy; letting people drink brandy for medicinal purposes since 1930.  :thumbsup:
<i>Marmite slave</i>