Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 336598 times)

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #700 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:07:03 am »
I've run out of Pukka teabags
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #701 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:24:33 am »
The ice buckets in the BA First class lounge champagne bar are running perilously close to having no ice in them.   My Taittinger could get WARM if nothing is done about this !

It's time to switch to the Port.

Good thinking, but by the time my liner arrived in the colonies I'd need to be on my way home already.  ;-)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #702 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:29:30 am »
Christmas Pudding will keep be better if thrown in bin.

Mince pies can be frozen stuffed up yer jacksie.

Can they not be distributed amongst you not make lovely Brownies and Lemon Drizzle cake for the YACFers who drift across of your Spaziergang later in the year?

Corrected that for you Wowser.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #703 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:43:41 am »
The ice buckets in the BA First class lounge champagne bar are running perilously close to having no ice in them.   My Taittinger could get WARM if nothing is done about this !

Also,  I neglected to pack my smoking jacket, so I'd only have to send my man home to fetch it!

ian

« Reply #704 on: 02 February, 2015, 11:48:57 am »

Also,  I neglected to pack my smoking jacket, so I'd only have to send my man home to fetch it!

Surely they have an in-lounge tailor on-hand for such eventualities. Are you sure you're not in the business class lounge?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #705 on: 02 February, 2015, 12:29:49 pm »
With the business class plebs, silver card holders and associated hangers-on? Not bloody likely!

Anyway, unless my free upgrade hurries the fuck up, I'm going to be sitting with them for 8 hours anyway so I'm not about to volunteer for any extra duty TVM!

Could this day get any worse?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #706 on: 02 February, 2015, 12:44:23 pm »
Could this day get any worse?

Apparently so!  They just asked if I wanted a newspaper then offered a Daily Mail!

Luckily, I took the precaution of popping a Times and a Telegraph in my bag for just such ayn eventuality. Just need to get somebody to iron them.

ian

« Reply #707 on: 15 February, 2015, 07:05:32 pm »
Amazon is down and I need a new Kindle book for my Sunday evening soak. The bath is filling and their page remains stubbornly unresponsive. There's now an epic battle between bath and internet behemoth, who will win...

« Reply #708 on: 15 February, 2015, 07:06:48 pm »
Amazon.com seems to be up thobut

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #709 on: 15 February, 2015, 07:49:00 pm »
Amazon is down and I need a new Kindle book for my Sunday evening soak. The bath is filling and their page remains stubbornly unresponsive. There's now an epic battle between bath and internet behemoth, who will win...

It's not just you.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #710 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:15:17 pm »
The cat completely destroyed the relaxing bit of my relaxing bath by perching on the side, meowing and tapping me on the arm, and then trying to pounce on my toes.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #711 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:18:07 pm »

Are Kindles waterproof? I'd love to take mine in the bath, but I'm scared of getting electrocuted.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #712 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:23:00 pm »

Are Kindles waterproof? I'd love to take mine in the bath, but I'm scared of getting electrocuted.
I don't think so, but they work through sealed plastic bags I believe :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ian

« Reply #713 on: 15 March, 2015, 07:47:51 pm »

I don't think so, but they work through sealed plastic bags I believe :)

I put mine in a sealable sandwich bag (I'm not that cheap, it's a Waitrose sandwich bag). Works fine. Unless you undo the thing to jiggle it into position while in the bath, one of those things that with hindsight could only have had one outcome (after a week in the airing cupboard it worked fine, and as a boon smells of Badedas now). There are proper waterproof cases but a medium sandwich bag does the same job at a fraction of the cost. Reading a good book in a hot bath with a bottle of fine beer on the side is why the first world was invented.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #714 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:45:44 pm »
FWP #1 - An evening of car woes, ending in an AA rescue truck, mean I need a stiff drink. (I'm home now, and fine, but still.)

FWP #2 - I'm all out of whiskey.

FWP #3 - The little shop at the top of the road doesn't sell Jim Beam. It only has Jack Daniels, which ISN'T EVEN REAL BOURBON!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #715 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:33:50 am »
ALL bourbon is made in bathtubs.  By gangsters.

Trufax.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #716 on: 28 March, 2015, 07:51:16 am »
When it comes to bourbon one can do much better than Jim Beam, though the little shop at the top of the road may not oblige.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #717 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:39:53 pm »
FWP #1 - An evening of car woes, ending in an AA rescue truck, mean I need a stiff drink. (I'm home now, and fine, but still.)

FWP #3 - The little shop at the top of the road doesn't sell Jim Beam. It only has Jack Daniels, which ISN'T EVEN REAL BOURBON!

So, is FWP #4, nae whisky?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #718 on: 28 March, 2015, 02:13:31 pm »

So, is FWP #4, nae whisky?

No, I decided the least worst course of action was to slum it with a bottle of JD. It's not that bad.

And yes, I'm sure there's plenty of better bourbons than Jim Beam but it's what I usually keep in the house. The "black label" stuff, if it's there. It's reasonably priced, fairly easy to get in supermarkets, and (IMO) a lot better than Jack Daniels.

« Reply #719 on: 28 March, 2015, 02:36:01 pm »
I concur with the honourable member for Northlandshire.

Whiskey /= whisky.

« Reply #720 on: 28 March, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »
I thought Whiskey was Irish Whisky IUSWIM?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #721 on: 28 March, 2015, 02:47:03 pm »
Whiskey=Irish or American.
Whisky=Scotch (or Scotch-a-likes, like Japanese or Welsh).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #722 on: 28 March, 2015, 10:37:04 pm »
I can't book a mini-cab online for tomorrow's outing because their website won't accept my credentials, which I have used successfully previously used and have rechecked.
Their website is refusing to send me my 'forgotten' password.
I cannot phone the cab firm because that would disturb partner, who is listening to a recording of the Mendelssohn he was practicing on our grand piano earlier.

I'll have to phone them tomorrow.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #723 on: 29 March, 2015, 01:59:28 pm »
My stupid watch is supposed to change gear automagically at the start of BST and hasn't.  I have had to tell the wretched thing that I'm in Paris :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #724 on: 29 March, 2015, 02:50:12 pm »
My stupid watch is supposed to change gear automagically at the start of BST and hasn't.  I have had to tell the wretched thing that I'm in Paris :(

Surely Mortagne-au-Perche!