Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333714 times)

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #800 on: 19 June, 2015, 06:06:37 pm »
I am ripping the joint Ham Hall CD collection to disk and I am developing a painful little finger from hoiking the disks out of the carrier.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #801 on: 19 June, 2015, 06:17:36 pm »
There was no digital radio reception this morning. I was reduced to listening over the internet on my iPhone.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #802 on: 20 June, 2015, 09:13:30 am »
Sitting as I am in seat 1A, with the debris of a Champaign breakfast scattered about the fold-out table in front of me, I an quite unable to reach the inflight magazine in the bulkhead pouch so far off is it. I may have to call the flight attendant.

(I didn't actually do the champers, a bit early even for me. Same cannot be said of the couple in 1C and D, who managed 3 mini bottles each. )

ETA: missed my connection in Amsterdam and am reviewing the Champagne situation in the lounge.

« Reply #803 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:13:52 pm »
I only have Olive bread for breakfast tomorrow, I don't think it's going to go well with my Bonne Maman Orange Marmalade.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #804 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:17:10 pm »
How about with some nice cheese and a glass of white wine?

If a work day, you may wish to replace wine with espresso.  Or maybe not.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #805 on: 22 June, 2015, 08:48:38 pm »
How about with some nice cheese and a glass of white wine?

If a work day, you may wish to replace wine with espresso.  Or maybe not.

I'm on holiday in France so wine for breakfast is probably OK. There is some cheese in my panniers but it's a bit sweaty in this heat.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #806 on: 22 June, 2015, 09:12:00 pm »
The café at the Royal Academy is closed. The Friends' Lounge does not serve apple juice.
The courtyard café closed in the rain.
We will be forced to cross Piccadilly and try Fortnum and Mason for better fare.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #807 on: 22 June, 2015, 11:06:33 pm »
Last time I was in Fortnum and Mason I was castigated for name-dropping by no less a person than the queen.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #808 on: 24 June, 2015, 05:11:16 pm »
I'm really hungry and I went to get a packet of crisps, but the vending machine isn't working because it's been unplugged. I daren't plug it in in case it has been unplugged for a reason.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #809 on: 24 June, 2015, 06:22:05 pm »
If it was for a reason there should be a sign...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #810 on: 24 June, 2015, 06:23:19 pm »
Go on, Kirst.  Live a little.  Go out and get those crisps!  Plug that sucker in!

If it 'splodes run away and deny all knowledge.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #811 on: 24 June, 2015, 06:25:25 pm »
Last time I did something like that I got 6 free cans of Ting.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #812 on: 24 June, 2015, 06:26:10 pm »
If it's unplugged, then the anti-tilt alarms will be disabled :demon:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #814 on: 24 June, 2015, 09:58:39 pm »
Go on, Kirst.  Live a little.  Go out and get those crisps!  Plug that sucker in!

If it 'splodes run away and deny all knowledge.
I was worried it might come to life and eat me.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #815 on: 25 June, 2015, 06:38:29 pm »
Oh no, the dishwasher needs, erm, washing. I opened it this morning to find everything dirty and a murky puddle in the bottom. It turns out they have a filter. Who knew? And it's completely full of completely grotesque green sludge that I'm not touching. And whose idea was making the inside out of unsuspecting angles the seemed to have been designed solely to catch grunk and be difficult to clean?

That's not the worst of it, the cleaner can't come until tomorrow afternoon. I've barricaded the kitchen door, the filter is seriously horrormovie.

« Reply #816 on: 25 June, 2015, 10:43:18 pm »
The washer could have been stopped before the cycle had ended. Try another wash using a cleaning capsule.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #817 on: 26 June, 2015, 10:36:16 am »
The washer could have been stopped before the cycle had ended. Try another wash using a cleaning capsule.

It had but the filter is clogged. It's stupid, it's a really fine mesh filter, jeez, just send that shit down the drain. We used to have fearsome Teutonic dishwasher that never seemed to need to cleaning other than an occasional empty cycle, then we moved house and got an Italian one. It's exactly what you'd expect from an Italian appliance. I only bought it because it was stainless steel.

I tried going near the filter again, but I swear the green stuff was moving.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #818 on: 26 June, 2015, 10:44:16 am »

It had but the filter is clogged. It's stupid, it's a really fine mesh filter, jeez, just send that shit down the drain. We used to have fearsome Teutonic dishwasher that never seemed to need to cleaning other than an occasional empty cycle, then we moved house and got an Italian one. It's exactly what you'd expect from an Italian appliance. I only bought it because it was stainless steel.

Oh you great wimp.  Plastic bag on the hand, lift out the filter, enclose it in plastic bag ASAP before it runs away, give it a good bang to get some solids out then dunk it in a bowl of bleach water to kill it.  Hold it down with a wooden spoon till it stops struggling.

Go on ian, you can do it.
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #819 on: 26 June, 2015, 10:52:52 am »
You can, Ian. In fact, you must; not for the sake of your washing up, but so you can write a post here describing what went wrong and how you then had to call the plumber to free your fingers from drain.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #820 on: 26 June, 2015, 10:57:26 am »

It had but the filter is clogged. It's stupid, it's a really fine mesh filter, jeez, just send that shit down the drain.

The filter doesn't just lead to the drain, thobut.  For most of the cycle, the shit is re-circulated through the sprinkler thingers and associated plumbing, which I'm sure would be a whole other level of fun to de-slime.

I'm suspicious that dishwashers contravene the third law of thermodynamics.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #821 on: 26 June, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »
That's a good point, I need to add "run a cleaning bottle through the dishwasher" to my list of things to do today...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #822 on: 26 June, 2015, 05:28:52 pm »

Oh you great wimp.  Plastic bag on the hand, lift out the filter, enclose it in plastic bag ASAP before it runs away, give it a good bang to get some solids out then dunk it in a bowl of bleach water to kill it.  Hold it down with a wooden spoon till it stops struggling.

Go on ian, you can do it.

I did, in the end, do it myself because the cleaner couldn't come until Monday. I probably shouldn't have described that sludge to her in such graphical terms. It was virulently green and made me feel a little bit sick.

As a plus, after one and a half years I've finally found out how to change the programme.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #823 on: 26 June, 2015, 07:29:14 pm »
Well done ian, I think you deserve several stiff G&T's as a treat.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #824 on: 26 June, 2015, 10:57:00 pm »
Gosh British pluck!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain