Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 335746 times)

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #950 on: 27 October, 2015, 03:59:51 pm »
For the second consecutive visit to the company hospitality box at Old Trafford, the catering staff have failed to provide cheese and crackers as listed on the match day menu.
E-mails have been exchanged with account manager suggesting that standards are slipping and what is the world coming to,  it wasn't like this when Ferguson was in charge etc. etc.

« Reply #951 on: 09 November, 2015, 06:51:56 pm »
The bread machine drive spigot failed. It's under guarantee, but rather than a straight replacement, John Lewis are going to fix it. But we'll starve in the 10 working days it will take to get it back to us.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #952 on: 10 November, 2015, 01:07:56 pm »
Due to the murder in West Ruislip last night, the police have closed the road for a day, causing local gridlock. This means we couldn't get to Waitrose today, and had to shop in the local Sainsburys. Oh, the ignominy!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #953 on: 10 November, 2015, 02:10:12 pm »
I have arranged a delivery of Mr Sainsbury's toothy comestibles for delivery to Aged Parents tomorrow morning.
They return from Foreign Climes tonight.
Email from Ma last night:

<< You have indeed!! But there is one change, please. Could the delivery be between 8 and 9? <granddaughter> has her 4th birthday party at <school> at 10.25, and the change would free us to go at the right time. Yes, I know, we might not get the Daily Telegraph, but as you know, life is hard, and we will just have to live with that. If they can’t do that time slot, anything after 13.00 is OK.
Thanks again!
Much love,
Ma.>>

« Reply #954 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:17:39 pm »
The bread machine drive spigot failed. It's under guarantee, but rather than a straight replacement, John Lewis are going to fix it. But we'll starve in the 10 working days it will take to get it back to us.

Do they not offer a courtesy bread machine in the meantime? What is the world coming to?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #955 on: 14 November, 2015, 02:30:12 pm »
Best car insurance renewal quote: £188

Best car insurance renewal quote if I add my just-turned-17 son as a named driver: £498

:sick: as a parrot
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #956 on: 14 November, 2015, 03:00:33 pm »

Best car insurance renewal quote if I add my just-turned-17 son as a named driver: £498

Now go and see what it would cost once he has passed his test......
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

citoyen

« Reply #957 on: 14 November, 2015, 03:32:31 pm »
HOLY FUCK!!!  :o

« Reply #958 on: 14 November, 2015, 04:19:25 pm »

Best car insurance quote (just me with no claims for over 5 years): £200
Best car insurance quote (with Mrs Cyclist and her no-blame accident last year): £185 - and she won't drive my car anyway.

Mystified.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

citoyen

« Reply #959 on: 14 November, 2015, 05:33:41 pm »
Best car insurance quote (with Mrs Cyclist and her no-blame accident last year): £185 - and she won't drive my car anyway.

Mystified.

Same here - it's about £30 more expensive for me to get car insurance on my own than with my wife as a named driver.

Car insurance is a dark art and no mistake.

« Reply #960 on: 14 November, 2015, 06:28:08 pm »

Mystified.

Same here - it's about £30 more expensive for me to get car insurance on my own than with my wife as a named driver.

Car insurance is a dark art and no mistake.

I can't help thinking the insurance company will expect her to be in the car, whenever I'm driving, saying - in a soothing voice - "calm down now, calm down ..."
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #961 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:08:57 am »
On Ryanair ,this morning, woman sitting behind me :
"This seat is cold "
"I hate seat belts"
"There's not enough room for a fat bum  like mine. "

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #962 on: 19 November, 2015, 04:35:10 pm »
Does a Ryanair flight count as First World?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #963 on: 19 November, 2015, 07:23:01 pm »
No.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #964 on: 20 November, 2015, 09:29:52 am »
 ;D

« Reply #965 on: 20 November, 2015, 09:54:27 am »
IMO compared to a Garuda a Ryanair flight is most definitely First World.

I had the front seat on a Garuda fight from Bandung to Jakarta. The cockpit door was open and I could see, clearly, beside the captain's seat, a bank of circuit breakers with a label above them said in big bold red letters "DO NOT RESET."

As we taxied across the apron one of them kept tripping. The captain kept resetting it. When we did the take-off run down the runway he held it in with his left hand. Unfortunately I didn't have a smart-phone, then, or I'd have sent a photograph to the Indonesian aviation authority - as well as to KLM who - at the time - were providing engineering skills and knowledge. One of their seconded engineers was a lounge lizard in the hotel I later lived in.   

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #966 on: 20 November, 2015, 02:32:08 pm »
At least your plane had a cockpit door.  Dr Larrington was once on an internal flight in Burma, on a plane which had had one once.  She describe the antics of the crew prior to landing as "interesting".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #967 on: 21 November, 2015, 03:55:16 pm »
Oi!  DWP.  Where's my bloody Winter Fuel Payment then?  I'd had it well before now last year.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #968 on: 21 November, 2015, 04:39:13 pm »
Quote from: No1Daughter
I like the grown up colouring books but sometimes the boxes are too small so you can't colour it in unless you've got really really good pens and that just makes it stressful rather than relaxing

« Reply #969 on: 21 November, 2015, 04:57:40 pm »
Quote from: No1Daughter
I like the grown up colouring books but sometimes the boxes are too small so you can't colour it in unless you've got really really good pens and that just makes it stressful rather than relaxing
Tell her to colour outside of the boxes.
Always.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #970 on: 21 November, 2015, 05:00:21 pm »

Just out of curiosity, find out what it would cost for your just-turned-17 son to insure if it were his car...

ETA: A guy I know has a son who was paying not far shy of a grand to insure a 15-year-old Nissan Micra with a massive 1.0 litre engine. I think he was 23 and had had a license for a few years.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #971 on: 21 November, 2015, 05:57:08 pm »
At least your plane had a cockpit door.  Dr Larrington was once on an internal flight in Burma, on a plane which had had one once.  She describe the antics of the crew prior to landing as "interesting".

Was on an internal flight in SA once. Not long before landing the pilot said that we were running a bit late but he'd be able to make the time up. After that announcement the plane dived. The cockpit door slammed open and we could see we were pointing at the ground. We landed on time.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #972 on: 24 November, 2015, 10:05:40 am »
Middle-Class Problems:

I almost found myself muttering to Mrs Legs last night that "our dishwasher really doesn't cope very well with avocado and couscous".  :o

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #973 on: 24 November, 2015, 10:13:09 am »
A former colleague mentioned in an email that the recent high winds had caused great distress as they had blown his kids' trampoline into the swimming pool.

I am not sure whether he is joking or not.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #974 on: 24 November, 2015, 07:37:51 pm »
Oi!  DWP.  Where's my bloody Winter Fuel Payment then?  I'd had it well before now last year.
Update.
Thank you very much, UK tax payers.  Much appreciated.  As usual, I will be spending it on keeping warm.  At 1 Raddlebarn Road.   :demon:

*stands by to receive hate mail*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.