Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 335085 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1425 on: 15 November, 2016, 11:20:51 pm »
Bogies.

Do they go in the Food Waste bin, Rubbish or General Recycling?
It is simpler than it looks.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1426 on: 16 November, 2016, 12:36:57 am »
That would be rubbish so they can breed for two weeks before being taken away.
I do wish the bin men would either empty the food bin properly or close the lid to stop the local cats getting a second breakfast.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ian

« Reply #1427 on: 16 November, 2016, 09:44:20 am »

Any hotel room offers ten minutes of delight figuring out which combination of switches turn on the right lights. Sometimes I just give up and go to the bar.
I stayed in a place in Joburg where the chap who showed me to my room offered to show me where everything was.

It can't be that complicated I thought.

The button to rise the telly out of its box was hidden behind a curtain at the head of the bed.

I'm afraid to say that I manually lifted the thing out of its box and perched it, precariously, diagonally across the top of the box.

When I finally worked out where the button was, it wasn't working. Not sure if I buggered it or not.

That's the other thing about hotel rooms, the level of sophistication correlates strongly with the level of broke. So you'll spend hours faffing before giving up and sitting in the dark. See also, wifi. I do like it in developing world hotels where the chap enthusiastically explains everything. Like the sink and toilet. I typically have a fair understanding of how those things work. At least you get your dollar's worth.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1428 on: 16 November, 2016, 10:36:51 am »
Room-mate was very good about operating the light switches.
A standard lamp with a foot-operated switch in the only wheelchair accessible room shows typical lack of joined-up thinking.
The room was BIG. There was a ceiling light in the room entrance, the dim standard lamp, a small flexible desk lap and the bedside lights.

So basically, you're complaining about having a room much bigger than the rest of us had. ;)

(I did think about wheelchairs just after posting that comment about the foot-switch  :facepalm:  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1429 on: 16 November, 2016, 10:54:30 am »
For accuracy, the floor-switch was fairly easily operated by a crutch. It still would have been nice to be able to see the floor without wandering into the darkness for multiple light switches.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1430 on: 16 November, 2016, 11:04:35 am »
I stayed in a hotel last weekend where you could have ridden a velocipede around the bathroom, let alone around the four-poster bed.
The sad thing was, due to arriving v late and having to get out and busy I had no time to appreciate any of the luxuries.
Did get a v. nice breakfast, though.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1431 on: 16 November, 2016, 11:49:31 am »
Any hotel room offers ten minutes of delight figuring out which combination of switches turn on the right lights. Sometimes I just give up and go to the bar.

Clearly Sir's choice of caravanserai is insufficiently pikey.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1432 on: 16 November, 2016, 12:27:09 pm »
I've just run out of mince pies.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1433 on: 16 November, 2016, 01:24:07 pm »
Room-mate was very good about operating the light switches.
A standard lamp with a foot-operated switch in the only wheelchair accessible room shows typical lack of joined-up thinking.
The room was BIG. There was a ceiling light in the room entrance, the dim standard lamp, a small flexible desk lap and the bedside lights.

So basically, you're complaining about having a room much bigger than the rest of us had. ;)

(I did think about wheelchairs just after posting that comment about the foot-switch  :facepalm:  )

A BIG chamber with no more lights than a standard room is VERY dark.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1434 on: 17 November, 2016, 11:25:05 am »
A robotic female voice rudely interrupted me while I was listening to some Joe Hisaishi and spreadsheeting some spreadsheets to tell me that the batteries in my Bluetooth headset are low. Now I'm having to - gulp - listen to my co-workers while they charge.

« Reply #1435 on: 18 November, 2016, 11:25:31 am »
My usual supplier of Monsoon Malabar coffee beans must have problems, as they are currently offering them at £99.99 on their site. So I've had to find another supplier AND pay 50p/Kg extra.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1436 on: 19 November, 2016, 12:36:06 pm »
I could do with getting something to eat, but there's a snoozy cat on my knee.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1437 on: 20 November, 2016, 11:31:24 pm »
Whatever happened to gravy browning?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1438 on: 20 November, 2016, 11:49:33 pm »
The Dakota in South Queensferry was the same.
It was so dark, you couldn't find any of the controls on the wall for heating or lighting without a torch.

Ditto the Dakota in Glasgow Eurocentral, unsurprisingly.

« Reply #1439 on: 21 November, 2016, 08:56:24 am »
Whatever happened to gravy browning?
Um, did it magically migrate out of the bottle and drip down onto the bottom of the cupboard, despite there not being any discernible spillage when you used it?

Never had any difficulty buying it  :-\

« Reply #1440 on: 21 November, 2016, 11:27:07 am »
... at home I am constantly maddened by the low-energy bulbs (that result in me squinting at everything for 2 minutes) ...

Could you replace your low energy bulbs at home with ones of higher rating?   The idea of low energy is of course to use less energy to get a similar result, not to take you back to the dark ages.   :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1441 on: 21 November, 2016, 12:23:09 pm »
... at home I am constantly maddened by the low-energy bulbs (that result in me squinting at everything for 2 minutes) ...

Could you replace your low energy bulbs at home with ones of higher rating?   The idea of low energy is of course to use less energy to get a similar result, not to take you back to the dark ages.   :)

It's quality of light, not just quantity. The grey drear emitted by CFLs is thankfully being replaced by LED lamps (which might be too bright and blue for some).

CFLs are SAD in a box...

Incandescent lamps might have used much energy but the light quality was better.

« Reply #1442 on: 21 November, 2016, 12:52:10 pm »

It's quality of light, not just quantity. The grey drear emitted by CFLs is thankfully being replaced by LED lamps (which might be too bright and blue for some).

CFLs are SAD in a box...

Incandescent lamps might have used much energy but the light quality was better.

Part of the problem with CFLs is that their output in lumens falls off over their service life, whereas an incandescent filament lamp stays pretty much the same until it burns out. Also, the Energy Savings Trust was recommending lower wattage CFLs to replace filament lamps than equivalent bodies elsewhere were doing. ISTR reading an article on low-energy lighting a few years ago which said that the EST was advising fitting CFLs with one fifth/sixth the power of the filament bulb, whereas the recommendation in the rest of the EU was one third/fourth the original power level. Basically, the EST was target fixated on the power consumption, at the expense of maintaining light output, hence the complaints from users about Stygian gloom.

With LEDs increasing in usage as they have become more cost effective, the advice now concentrates more on choosing lamps based on the light output. Funny that...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1443 on: 25 November, 2016, 05:51:40 pm »
The woman who threads my eyebrows is going on maternity leave next week.

This is absolutely terrible.  I just don't know what I'm going to do.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1444 on: 25 November, 2016, 06:56:42 pm »
Chunky eyebrows are in at the moment, I believe.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1445 on: 25 November, 2016, 07:30:55 pm »
Yeah, but you are supposed to have more than one, y'know.
Milk please, no sugar.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1446 on: 25 November, 2016, 08:12:40 pm »
Do you have them done alternately . . . ?  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1447 on: 25 November, 2016, 08:20:33 pm »
Yeah, but you are supposed to have more than one, y'know.

Frida Kahlo sported a monobrow.   Be a trendsetter.   :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1448 on: 25 November, 2016, 09:00:26 pm »
I've got silly looking eyebrows.  One of them grows in the wrong direction.  Any attempt to rectify this makes it look sillier, and frankly life's too short.  They keep water from running in my eyes and allow me to express surprise, which is as much as I can wish for from a set of eyebrows, really.  YEMV, of course.

What was really out of order was the optiquack giving barakta unprompted eyebrow-fettling advice while fitting her glasses.  Particularly as this was immediately after she explained why she'd turned down offers of rhinoplasty and prosthetic ears[1].

[1] Cosmetic ones.  Functional cybernetics don't count.

« Reply #1449 on: 25 November, 2016, 09:17:03 pm »
What are the last few posts on this thread about, pls?