Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333789 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1525 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:23:41 pm »
How about mushy peas? Proper farting tackle . . .

Love sprouts, hate mushy peas.

Used to live half a mile from a sprout farm, picked them up for £5 a sack from the farm gate, took what we needed and sold the rest on at work, ended up making an unintended profit
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1526 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:44:47 pm »
Also, my bottle of lemon juice is too tall to fit into the fridge door bit, and my massive jar of artichokes is too tall for the fridge unless I move all the shelves up and down.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1527 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:16:31 pm »
Also, my bottle of lemon juice is too tall to fit into the fridge door bit, and my massive jar of artichokes is too tall for the fridge unless I move all the shelves up and down.

There's probably some mathematical theorem pertaining to fridge shelf height.  Whatever you set them at it seems to be wrong.

ian

« Reply #1528 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:06:26 pm »
I love mushy peas. The ones my gran would make by soaking marrowfat peas overnight and then boiling for a week until they were grey before resurrecting them with some benzene-based green colorant distilled from coal tar. They're glow like a uncovered nuclear pile in the dark.

One of my favorite memories is bonfire night, shovelling hot mushy peas with loads of mint sauce from a polystyrene cup into my mouth. Hot, ouchy, but so, so good. A variant of our student cowboy food was to replace the baked beans with mushy peas. That was good too. I may start a restaurant. Hoxton, prepare thyself.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #1529 on: 29 January, 2017, 09:41:56 pm »
Glad to see Radio 4 Saturday Live going with an item on 'how to use up left over Pannetone.'

I had been troubled - or would have been if we hadn't scoffed 4 Lidl shaped ones in their entirety

(reminds me of a charity recipe book asking ' what do you do with leftover red wine after a dinner party?'
Rising to the challenge, Glenys Kinnock replied ' Why would there be any left over the next day -don't be daft!')

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1530 on: 04 February, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »
There were queues to get into the V&A today. Queues I tell you. I had to go to the National Portrait Gallery to get a little culture.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1531 on: 04 February, 2017, 08:52:21 pm »
despite years of on and off searching, we can't find the right espresso cups.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1532 on: 04 February, 2017, 10:50:05 pm »
There is no milk in the house for tomorrow morning's coffee. 
Milk please, no sugar.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1533 on: 05 February, 2017, 02:29:18 pm »
My carefully organised box of nuts, bolts and washers fell off the bench and broke. I have exited the garage until a replacement is procured and I am inspired to clear it up.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #1534 on: 05 February, 2017, 07:12:52 pm »
BOTH of the peelers are in the dishwasher.  There are potatoes, but no means of preparing them. Mrs Tiger has had to go out and buy another, otherwise we can't eat. 
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1535 on: 05 February, 2017, 07:17:33 pm »
BOTH of the peelers are in the dishwasher.  There are potatoes, but no means of preparing them. Mrs Tiger has had to go out and buy another, otherwise we can't eat.

Can't you simply interrupt the dishwasher by the technique of Opening The Door, and then after retrieving the desired item, close the door and re-start it?

I do this all the time.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1536 on: 05 February, 2017, 07:32:32 pm »
I do this all the time too.  Well, not actually currently as we haven't fitted the dw yet, but Mrs B always  complains and say I will bugger the machine and I should switch it off first.   I have asked for citation,  but none is forthcoming.
Anyone else think it's harmful?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1537 on: 05 February, 2017, 07:34:55 pm »
Peel them with a knife? Or are all the knives in the dishwasher as well?
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1538 on: 05 February, 2017, 07:39:29 pm »
It won't bugger the machine.
The door is interlocked so that it switches off when you open it.

If you like, you can switch it off first, but it really does not matter.
On some machines, you just can't, because the on-it and off-it buttons are hidden on the upper part of the door, which are not accessible once the door is closed.
With these machines, there's no option but to open it whilst running.
They re-start once you close them again.

Really no problem.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1539 on: 05 February, 2017, 07:40:27 pm »
Eat the taters with the skins on? (Life is too short for peeling taters)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #1540 on: 05 February, 2017, 08:01:18 pm »
Peel them with a knife? Or are all the knives in the dishwasher as well?
We didn't lead the world trough the industrial revolution, beat jerry in WW2 and defeat the EU to peel our potatoes with knives like johnny foreigner in places like Spain.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1541 on: 05 February, 2017, 09:03:15 pm »

We never peel taters.
I peel carrots cos I dislike taste & texture of their skins.
Sweet potato skins drop off after being cooked in the microwave so get peeled on the plate.

It's not dedded me yet.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1542 on: 05 February, 2017, 10:27:32 pm »

We never peel taters.
These. But if I said that it wouldn't fit in a problem thread.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1543 on: 05 February, 2017, 10:44:18 pm »
I do this all the time too.  Well, not actually currently as we haven't fitted the dw yet, but Mrs B always  complains and say I will bugger the machine and I should switch it off first.   I have asked for citation,  but none is forthcoming.
No. It's probably an urban myth based on a misunderstanding or some 1950s technology that would get upset. See also:-
Needing a header tank on hot water systems
Making sure you use cross-over ethernet cables between computers
Not pushing on the glass when closing the door on a car with frameless windows
Not having more than 3 electrical appliances in one adaptor so it doesn't get overloaded
Having socket protectors for child safety
Not using full throttle on a car at low revs

Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1544 on: 05 February, 2017, 10:51:12 pm »
Hang on.  A 1950s dishwasher would have a fiendishly complicated mechanical time switch thinger to control its sequence of squirting, pumping, heating and whatever, which wouldn't be fazed by the door interlock cutting the power mid-sequence, and the main risk comes from the sudden steaming-up of your glasses.  But this is The Future, and if the 20th century has taught us anything it's "moar microcontrollers, moar better".  It seems entirely plausible that a modern dishwasher, equipped with regulation Ministry Of Crap Design internet-of-shit firmware, would reset to the beginning of the cycle after opening the door.  And then blab about the resulting carbon emissions to all your friends on TwitFace.

Best to play it safe and go to the chippy.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1545 on: 05 February, 2017, 10:56:40 pm »
What I don't understand is, why do dishwashers take so frikking long to do the dishes?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1546 on: 05 February, 2017, 11:00:40 pm »
Have you looked inside a dishwasher?  They're mostly just empty space and wire racks.  All the imps *and* their dishcloths have to fit in the space in the bottom, along with the salt mountain, the expensive bit that goes wrong, and the wire basket of soggy pasta.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1547 on: 06 February, 2017, 09:03:57 am »
Hang on.  A 1950s dishwasher would have a fiendishly complicated mechanical time switch thinger to control its sequence of squirting, pumping, heating and whatever, which wouldn't be fazed by the door interlock cutting the power mid-sequence, and the main risk comes from the sudden steaming-up of your glasses.  But this is The Future, and if the 20th century has taught us anything it's "moar microcontrollers, moar better".  It seems entirely plausible that a modern dishwasher, equipped with regulation Ministry Of Crap Design internet-of-shit firmware, would reset to the beginning of the cycle after opening the door.  And then blab about the resulting carbon emissions to all your friends on TwitFace.

Best to play it safe and go to the chippy.

:D POTD  :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1548 on: 06 February, 2017, 11:12:01 am »

RTFM
Quote from: Amica
Forgot to Add a Dish?
A forgotten dish can be added at any time before the detergent cup opens
1. Open the door a little to stop the washing
2. After the spray arms stop working you can open the door
3. Load the forgotten dishes.
4. Close the door, the dish washer will start running again after 10 seconds
It also refers the to DW 'mooing' if the door is left open!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1549 on: 06 February, 2017, 11:34:30 am »
What I don't understand is, why do dishwashers take so frikking long to do the dishes?

I stayed at a lovely camping barn (tending towards the luxurious end of the scale) in Sedbergh last Easter. The dishwasher there took something daft, like two, yes two, count 'em, minutes. Or maybe five. Quick, really quick, whatever the number was.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)