Author Topic: Books or booklets for silver surfers, take 2  (Read 622 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Books or booklets for silver surfers, take 2
« on: 11 August, 2011, 08:24:49 pm »
I've deleted the first take of this thread due to negative comments from someone who had not read all that I had written properly.

Those who replied with positive help before: no need to post again, I have remembered all your advice, and I thank you again for it.

Do not post to accuse me of ageism or sexism.  This project is happening because a specific group of people ASKED ME TO HELP THEM.  I am not assuming all elderly people are technophobes.  Here is my original post again (copied & pasted):

I've been invited to help with a talk for a small group of mostly old ladies on "technology for the 21st century" - to help those who currently don't use computers and mobile phones etc to start to get into it.

No doubt we could find a professonal speaker or volunteer to do it all for us, but actually I'm keen and excited to be behind this myself.  BUT I have never done anything like it before.  I may not be doing the main talk myself (since I'm nervous of public speaking), but will at least be preparing info to help the speaker who knows less about some of the aspects than me.  I'll also help with a Q & A session, some practical demos, and give them some literature to take home - and most likely be telling them to switch it off and on again when they keep phoning (or hopefully emailing!) afterwards :)   There may be some video content as well.

I'm not an IT expert, but am highly confident that I know enough to help them in a plain-English way, and I tend to get on well with old folks and technophobes.

We've got ages.  It's not until March or April next year!  Budget: no more than a very few quid.

About the literature: I've been thinking of writing a little book myself, but there's no point in re-inventing the wheel.  Are there any really very good suitable books or booklets already that I could obtain muliple copies of cheaply?  The info must be up-to-date, dead easy to understand, yet still useful and not patronising.

Thanks for any help.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●