Poll

Do you like many foodstuffs that stuffy food snobs would look down their noses at?

No, I have sophisticated tastes, don't you know.
Yes, and I'm proud of it.
Yes, but I keep quiet about it.

Author Topic: Do you like naff food?  (Read 26360 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Do you like naff food?
« Reply #50 on: 03 September, 2010, 06:06:09 pm »
I think the saddest thing I've ever read on the Internet was on Wikipedia just now.

Approximately 450,000 Crispy Pancakes were destroyed in a fire at Findus' plant in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK on 6 January 2009.

:'(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #51 on: 03 September, 2010, 06:24:58 pm »
Have we had Findus Crispy Pancakes yet?  I was amazed to find that they still make them, albeit in a much smaller range of flavours than their 80s heyday.

They might stilll make them but they aren't available from our local Sainsbury's online. My David wanted some but I couldn't supply. I have never tried these.

« Reply #52 on: 03 September, 2010, 06:47:04 pm »
I are drunkd. I wil have one of each of teh nomz on this thread. Plz. Kthxbai.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #53 on: 03 September, 2010, 06:50:58 pm »
Doner kebab before 11pm and sober.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #54 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »

Corned beef hash.

One of my favourites. Corned beef and instant mash. Add an Oxo or Bovril cube and lashings of ginger beer Worcestershire sauce and Bob's my cousin.

Cadbury's Mini Rolls.  There is no upper limit to how many I could eat in one sitting, just make me a strong cup of team and line up those little blighters.

Me too. I've bought several packs when they were on offer then sat down at home with a pint of coffee and Hey Presto! No more mini rolls!

I should probably add instant coffee to the list of evils I consume. Fair Trade FTW.
I also like tinned fruit with evapourated milk. Coca Cola too, sometimes. Milk chocolate such as Cadburys (which isn't really proper chocolate) Crunchie bars, Bounty bars and other junk like that. I won't mention when Sainsburys were selling packs of 7 Crunchies for £1 so I bought 10 of them and they didn't last the week. :-[

Everyone mocks me for my Ferrero Rocher addiction.

It is so bad that I have a rule that I can only eat them if someone buys them for me. If I started buying them for myself there would be no end to it. So I tend to eat them only in December (or if some kind person picks me up the small pack you get in newsagents).

If ever anyone spoils me enough to give me some chocolate covered mothballs Ferrero Rocher, I'll try and remember who to send them to. :thumbsup:

I rarely get spoiled though, so don't hold your breath. ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #55 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:21:46 pm »
Ferraro Rocher, After Eights and Matchmakers. No better way to end a dinner party
A few years ago I worked the week between Christmas and New Year (I usually take it as holiday) and none of the service users wanted to see us so I was stuck in the office for a week, going off my head. So I amused myself by making a not-very-giant pyramid out of all the Ferrero Rocher in the office, held together with blu-tak, then walking round saying "Ambassador, you're really spoiling us."

Why is it that tinned spaghetti, spaghetti hoops, Alphabetti Spaghetti and Noodle Doodles are delicious, but tinned macaroni cheese and tinned ravioli are the excrement of Satan?

Have we had Findus Crispy Pancakes yet?  I was amazed to find that they still make them, albeit in a much smaller range of flavours than their 80s heyday.

They might stilll make them but they aren't available from our local Sainsbury's online. My David wanted some but I couldn't supply. I have never tried these.
You might be more successful trying a lower class of shop, like Iceland.

I really love crinkle cut frozen chips. With Heinz baked beans and HP sauce.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Zoidburg

« Reply #56 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:23:34 pm »
OMFG!

They still make them!

Millar McCowan - Products: Wham Chew Bars

There does not seem to be a smiley indicating adoration of an almost religous nature.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #57 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:26:26 pm »
Doner kebab before 11pm and sober.
Oh yes.  Quite regularly, at university.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #58 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:27:44 pm »
OMFG!

They still make them!

Millar McCowan - Products: Wham Chew Bars

There does not seem to be a smiley indicating adoration of an almost religous nature.

I used to eat loads of those. They were fantastic! Even if they did hurt your gums after several of them, you still had to have another...

« Reply #59 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:48:09 pm »
I'm a big fan of coffee mate. It's the hydrogenated vegetable oil what makes it so creamy and delicious.

Will anyone admit to liking Mellow Birds? Coffee for people who don't like coffee.

I love aromatic crispy duck. For Chinese it's like Chicken tikka masala, it doesn't exist in China/Hong Kong, however I grew up here, and love it. Out there you get Peking Duck. My gf won't eat it as it's 'tourist food'. Sweet and Sour pork/chicken balls ie not the authentic Chinese stuff but the stuff from Chinese Chippies that's fried in fish batter. I love that too.

« Reply #60 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:57:16 pm »
In days gone by when only tek aways were chippies and weren't allowed to sell fish on a Sunday, most didn't open. But there was one in Stockport that did. Often went there after the pub for pie n chips. And every week the man said "wi'h gravey, inna tray?"

Oh yes. Lovely.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #61 on: 03 September, 2010, 08:53:07 pm »

I love aromatic crispy duck. For Chinese it's like Chicken tikka masala, it doesn't exist in China/Hong Kong, however I grew up here, and love it. Out there you get Peking Duck.

Sorry, I disagree. The duck you get in China is remarkably like that served in Chinese establishments over here. In fact, if you go to Hoo Hing (or other chinese wholesalers) you can get frozen crispy duck that you can cook straight from frozen (and smile knowingly, taking credit for it all). In fact the lack of marked difference in the duck was the only culinary disappointment during my trip over there. And as it was damn good,  I wouldn't even rate it as a disappointment.

Clandy

« Reply #62 on: 03 September, 2010, 08:55:36 pm »
My guilty pleasure naff food is a Vesta Curry. Takes me back to the '70s, when powdered food was 'the future', and a Vesta Curry was strangely exotic.

« Reply #63 on: 03 September, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »

Sorry, I disagree. The duck you get in China is remarkably like that served in Chinese establishments over here. In fact, if you go to Hoo Hing (or other chinese wholesalers) you can get frozen crispy duck that you can cook straight from frozen (and smile knowingly, taking credit for it all). In fact the lack of marked difference in the duck was the only culinary disappointment during my trip over there. And as it was damn good,  I wouldn't even rate it as a disappointment.

The duck served in China is different. You don't get aromatic crispy duck, you get Peking duck which is the 'superior' version.

Aromatic crispy duck, is just duck that you've basted in 5 spice etc, and then fried the hell out of it.
Peking duck is a duck that's been basted, dried, inflated and roasted, and you only put the skin in the pancakes. Aromatic crispy duck is fried, shredded and you put the whole thing in pancakes.

The fact you can get  aromatic crispy duck from Hoo Hing just illustrates that fact that it's a very popular dish, you cant Peking duck as a ready meal, but you can get aromatic crispy duck.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #64 on: 03 September, 2010, 09:51:57 pm »
Used to love a pot noodle at about 3am when I used to do through the night shifts at Sandwell

« Reply #65 on: 03 September, 2010, 10:10:43 pm »

The duck served in China is different. You don't get aromatic crispy duck, you get Peking duck which is the 'superior' version.

Aromatic crispy duck, is just duck that you've basted in 5 spice etc, and then fried the hell out of it.
Peking duck is a duck that's been basted, dried, inflated and roasted, and you only put the skin in the pancakes. Aromatic crispy duck is fried, shredded and you put the whole thing in pancakes.

The fact you can get  aromatic crispy duck from Hoo Hing just illustrates that fact that it's a very popular dish, you cant Peking duck as a ready meal, but you can get aromatic crispy duck.

You can get Peking Duck in London the equal of any I had in China (which may not mean that much as we only had it a couple of times), also you do have meat with it. And then I was surprised how similar the dishes are, when I was expecting a new culinary experience. YMMV, I suppose.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #66 on: 03 September, 2010, 10:42:41 pm »
Ferraro Rocher, After Eights and Matchmakers. No better way to end a dinner party

Everyone mocks me for my Ferrero Rocher addiction.

It is so bad that I have a rule that I can only eat them if someone buys them for me. If I started buying them for myself there would be no end to it. So I tend to eat them only in December (or if some kind person picks me up the small pack you get in newsagents).

wierdo, an ex was alergic to nuts but not ferreo roecher.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #67 on: 03 September, 2010, 10:46:36 pm »
Crispy pancake fire?  Isn't that when you bite in to them?

« Reply #68 on: 03 September, 2010, 11:34:29 pm »
Have we had Findus Crispy Pancakes yet?  I was amazed to find that they still make them, albeit in a much smaller range of flavours than their 80s heyday.

First food factory I ever visited, Humberstone Road, Grimsby.
Just gave me the lust for more...

Zoidburg

« Reply #69 on: 04 September, 2010, 12:19:10 am »
I just ate 20 of those meatballs you get from Ikea.

In two sub rolls.

:facepalm:

« Reply #70 on: 04 September, 2010, 07:00:21 am »
Current favourite is Instant porridge oats in soya milk, uncooked. Happy to eat it in various consistencies, from thin milkshake to whipped cream. My brain tells me it tastes ice creamy. My brain also tells me that bran flakes taste of chocolate though. I blame the multiple nasal causerisations I've had.

Pot / Super noodles without the flavour sachet.

Space invaders 10p picked onion "crisps".

Potato waffles

Those cheap german "Dr Oetker" frozen pizzas (brain says "same as pizza express")

Mostly, crap food just depresses me. I was a latchkey kid, left to cook for myself since I was 12. My mum's chest freezer was stuffed full of crap Findus crispy pancakes were a treat compared to theiir french bread pizza, which put me off peppers for years. I lived off frozen steak and kidney pies and pizzas from 12 til 16. Had my first stab at being a vegetarian at 16 in an effort to seem more interesting to girls, which improved my diet enormously. Beansprouts and quorn became my staple food. God knows how I ended up being tall. I must have been malnourished for most of my teenage years.

« Reply #71 on: 04 September, 2010, 07:15:01 am »
Pop Tarts  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

« Reply #72 on: 04 September, 2010, 07:41:04 am »
All these delights are perfect for when you feel a bit sorry for yourself. This week:
Monday-cheap and nasty frozen pizza
Tuesday-candy sticks (they used to be called sweet cigarettes)
Wednesday-fake cheese. God I love cheese slices. By the packet.
Thursday-fray bentos pie
Friday-an entire bakewell tart
Who knows how low I'll sink today. Better hope my knee gets better soon or I'll be too lardy to get on the blummin bike.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #73 on: 04 September, 2010, 09:57:26 am »

Mostly, crap food just depresses me. I was a latchkey kid, left to cook for myself since I was 12. My mum's chest freezer was stuffed full of crap Findus crispy pancakes were a treat compared to theiir french bread pizza, which put me off peppers for years. I lived off frozen steak and kidney pies and pizzas from 12 til 16.
Those cheap frozen pizzas put me off any pizza at all for years. I wouldn't eat it till I was well into my 20s and discovered the joy of pizza from the Italian chippy at 4am on the way home from the pub. Those frozen ones, and the ones we used to get at school, smelled like vomit.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #74 on: 04 September, 2010, 01:46:18 pm »
I just ate 20 of those meatballs you get from Ikea.

In two sub rolls.

:facepalm:

ZBs post has just reminded me of when I lived nr Leeds, Ikea was a stones throw away ,I used to like their 30p hot dogs lots of tom sauce and mustard ,3 at a time. :-[