Author Topic: Jens is going to try the hour!  (Read 12789 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Jens is going to try the hour!
« Reply #75 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:45:26 am »
One good thing about the hour record, even when you are beaten you are still remembered. Where other record like the world record in something like 100m, 400m butterfly etc., if you had it 10 years ago you are forgotten. We are still talking about Boardman, Rominger etc. and Jens will be added to that list.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #76 on: 31 October, 2014, 02:38:21 pm »
When's Jens having another go?
Getting there...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #77 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:04:02 pm »
I think if the big boys do  it they will want to unify the records by beating boardman's record

56.something? 

It would make sense for sure, but a heck of a leap. Rominger at 53.whatever looks very achievable by one of the big guns, but it'd take something special to overtake Superman Boardman.

I only saw the last 10 minutes of Brandle's ride, looked good! And he now has his name in the books for, I would guess, at least until late summer/autumn next year.

Good effort.

If a future challenger beats Boardman and Rominger's records set on tribars, at least he'll then be the undisputed fastest rider on that bike setup - even if he doesn't beat Boarman's 56.xx superman record. 

I think the change in rules might have been very convenient for Cancellara, as it seems to have given him an excuse to shelve his plans.  I wonder had he crunched the numbers and decided they weren't feasible?

More scientifically, does anyone know any CdA figures for Boardman in superman and Wiggins/Martin/etc on tribars? 

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #78 on: 13 November, 2014, 08:28:19 pm »
oooh Ole Ritter say that Wiggo will set an unbeatable record. If Ole says so then it is true :)

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/bradley-wiggins-will-set-unbeatable-hour-record-says-former-holder-143606

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #79 on: 13 November, 2014, 10:40:46 pm »
I think he's absolutely right, Woolly. Tony Martin is the only other guy in Brad's class, but he doesn't have the track background. 55km? Definitely on the cards!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #80 on: 16 December, 2014, 06:40:16 pm »
The Guardian: Sarah Storey to try break the women’s hour record next February.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/dec/16/sarah-storey-break-womens-hour-record

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #81 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:03:31 am »
Alex Dowsett is rumoured to be having a go on the other evening of the same Revolution meet.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #82 on: 17 December, 2014, 03:43:47 pm »
Also Jack Bobridge (no date given) and Rohan Dennis (Grenchen, Switzerland on February 8 )

I was lumping the Bobridge attempt in with a few others in the lets-have-a-quick-go-before-wiggo-or-tony-puts-it-out-of-reach category until I saw this quote from him: "It’s something I’d be interested in doing. Wiggo (Wiggins) has said quite a few times he wants to have a go at it, so it might be a thing of letting him do it and then having something to chase."
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #83 on: 17 December, 2014, 06:33:02 pm »
I'll be in Switzerland when Dennis mounts his attempt.  Hmmm ... [wanders over to look for tickets]

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #84 on: 19 December, 2014, 03:51:41 pm »
And Dowsett's attempt is confirmed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/30546209
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #85 on: 19 December, 2014, 04:11:47 pm »
It's getting a bit ridiculous now! So is Dowsett the next to attempt it? It would be interesting if he breaks it by a decent margin (assuming he breaks it at all) as I would imagine all these announcements would stop. It would be embarrassing to be the first to fail!

Edit: I see Dennis is a few weeks before. OK, it will be interesting if he breaks it by a decent margin!

Edit 2: Right, now I see Bobridge is attempting on Jan 31st! I would expect him to up it a fair bit. Curiouser and curiouser....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #86 on: 20 December, 2014, 12:45:04 pm »
There is a bit of gamesmanship here. Nobody wants to fail so you have to get your ride in before your competitors. I'd expect some serious business now - if Sarah Storey is successful, why not Marianne Vos or even Emma Pooley?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #87 on: 20 December, 2014, 02:01:37 pm »
I guess the rule change (tribars and disc wheels now allowed) means a lot more riders can now break the record. So they're just trying to get their name on the list of hour record holders before it gets broken again.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #89 on: 14 January, 2015, 02:17:37 pm »
There is a bit of gamesmanship here. Nobody wants to fail so you have to get your ride in before your competitors. I'd expect some serious business now - if Sarah Storey is successful, why not Marianne Vos or even Emma Pooley?

..d

Because she's retired?

I suppose she might be persuaded even now if we combined it with a swim and a run  ;)

« Reply #90 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:13:47 am »
So, 51.3 for Bobridge.... The first to fail...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #91 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:29:23 am »
Fair play to him, though, I think that was everything he had. It took them about five minutes to get him off the bike... or rather to get the bike out from under him, frame one way and front wheel the other. His coach even had to unclip his foot.

I'm still surprised at how close they let the scrum get to the rider immediately afterwards, especially when the rider is as broken as Bobridge. I would have expected a fenced off area just to give the guy some space to breathe.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #92 on: 01 February, 2015, 08:05:37 am »
It's quite interesting to read the reasons they've cooked up for his failure, over on TTF.

Went out too hard
Too soon after the TDU
Changed his position from his normal pursuit affair to one that was more upright
Wore a Bambino, which apparently isn't the most aero helmet out there.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #93 on: 08 February, 2015, 02:03:52 pm »
52.491 km for Dennis  :thumbsup:.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #94 on: 17 February, 2015, 09:19:19 am »
Thomas Dekker is the next person to attempt the hour on the 25th February.
Sarah Storey is going to have a crack at the ladies record on the 28th February as well.

Meanwhile a couple of interesting articles on cyclingtips:

Firstly, how does a (very fast) amateur compare to the current crop of record setters:
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/02/putting-the-hour-record-in-perspective-how-does-an-amateur-compare/

And an interview with Sarah Storey on her preparation:
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/02/sarah-storey-interview-chasing-a-slot-in-history-with-womens-uci-hour-record/

« Reply #96 on: 02 March, 2015, 03:06:25 pm »
As does Sarah Storey
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #97 on: 31 March, 2015, 07:55:55 pm »
Dowsett has rescheduled for 13:00 May 2nd in Manchester

Tickets will be available on Seetickets by the end of this week.  Much as I'm tempted to go, I think I'll stay to watch the Tour de Yorkshire finish in the next street from me.  It's a nice dilemma to have  :smug:

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #98 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:26:10 am »
Tickets for Wiggins' June 7th attempt will be available from April 17th.  That's Friday folks, get your clicking fingers ready.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #99 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:42:13 am »
I'll call the bargain at £15 for my ticket to see the successful Dennis attempt  :smug: