Author Topic: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE  (Read 172361 times)

Re: Difficulty in installing tyres?
« Reply #50 on: 17 September, 2012, 12:36:02 am »
Generally I've found wire beaded tyres to be more of a pain to fit than kevlar beaded folding tyres.

I wish I remembered some of the combinations that have proved the most difficult to deal with.  There was a combination a few FNRttCs ago, that we had to fit multiple times, and took three of us, using a VAR lever and two tyre levers to get on.  Inevitably on at least one occasion we ended up putting a snake bite into the inner tube when putting it back on.  I got better at removing it (I think we had to do that five times before we gave up), but we never really sorted out how to get it on efficiently, we just barely managed.  I've very rarely had problems fitting tyres on, I think this was only the second occasion on a FNRttC when I've had significant problems, so I'm reasonably practised at removing and replacing tyres.  After an hour or so, we gave in, and left the guy with the bike waiting for a Taxi that he'd arranged to come and pick him up.

I forget exactly who I was with, but Adrian did join us after the first couple of repairs, and whilst that gave someone else to help turn the air blue, he didn't have any more success than the two of us TECing at that point had previously had.

It was a narrow Conti racing tyre, but I don't know what the rim was, or the exact Conti tyre.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #51 on: 17 September, 2012, 10:34:25 am »
This doesn't take into account manufacturing tolerances as the extrusion mould for the rim wears - towards the end of it's life the rim's cross section will be larger than that from a fresh mould. Then you have similar variation in tyre beads...

I've always found exceptions to these "rules". I recently bought a pair of Campagnolo Ventos from a clubmate and I was dreading trying to get Gatorskins on them, but they slipped on without putting up any kind of fight.
Agreed.
Certainly tyres vary quite a bit.

I've had Conti GP 4 Seasons on Open Pro vary between almost impossible (6 months stretching at 160psi before I dared take it out on the road, and even then it was metal levers and VAR) and so loose the tyre would fall off the rim if only one bead was fitted.

« Reply #52 on: 17 September, 2012, 02:01:41 pm »
700c Rims
Smallest Diameter to Largest
(= easiest to fit tyres to at the top of the list )
Mavic Ksyrium
Mavic MA2
Mavic Open Pro
[...]

I'd put Open Pro above MA2.
I think I probably would as well, based on a sample size of one pair of each type & fitting the same tyre type on both sets.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #53 on: 17 September, 2012, 04:13:25 pm »

I'd put Open Pro above MA2.
I think I probably would as well, based on a sample size of one pair of each type & fitting the same tyre type on both sets.

OP amended accordingly

Re: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE
« Reply #54 on: 24 October, 2012, 10:44:09 am »
Folks
Please can we keep on-thread.
I have amended the title and added a paragraph in the OP to clarify.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #55 on: 04 February, 2013, 07:13:15 am »
Cam across this just after I posted on another thread about Exal XR2. I split a Vredstein Tricomp and could only get a Bontrager hardcase (folding) on the rim. I had an accident and dented the rim and replaced it with and OP.

In all my years of cycling this was the only rim I cold not get a tyre on and off. I even managed Gatorskin wire bead with no tools. Michelins were not even close. Like about 9" of bean unable to fit in.

These rims are still sold by Spa so I guess someone must be able to fit a tyre on these.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #56 on: 09 October, 2013, 05:07:31 am »
In fitting Continental GatorSkins 28C to my various 700C rims I have this feedback.

Easy to fit by hands only, no tools
Mavic A719
Velocity Areohead
Velocity Areohead OC

Extremely hard to fit, bending plastic tools, just too hard
Ambosia Super Elite
Campaynolo Omega Strada Hardbox

« Reply #57 on: 09 October, 2013, 09:36:32 am »
Continental GatorSkins  25c and 28c,
Continental Gator HardShells 25c and 28c,

All are very easy to fit on Velocity Dyad, and Mavic A719.
I have only tried the steel wired versions of these tyres. I don't know about the folding versions.

« Reply #58 on: 09 October, 2013, 12:43:42 pm »
Gatorskin 25 - fine on Mavic Open Pro.
Gatorskin 28 - fine on MA2 & anonymous deep section Rigida.

Not conspicuously easy, but generally not hard. Was hard taking a 28 off an MA2 after two years without a puncture, but once off went back on easily enough.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #59 on: 31 May, 2014, 03:43:43 pm »
I'll modify this.

A fairly new Gatorskin 28 was a bitch to get off & on of that Mavic MA2 today. IIRC it hadn't moved since being installed.

An older ditto was piss-easy getting on & off the same anonymous Rigida. Mrs B did it unaided, getting it back on with no tools. She needed the VAR & a fight to get a tyre on the MA2.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #60 on: 04 June, 2014, 08:22:05 pm »
On a Rigida Ultimate Power rim:
Michelin World Tour - on without tools, off with one lever flip
Continental Touring 1000 - extremely easy but not quite as easy as MWT
Vittoria Randonneur - easy but needs lever to get last bit on
Chen Shin, model forgotten - horrible

Shame the Michelin WT is not a particularly good tyre in other respects.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #61 on: 05 June, 2014, 07:48:22 pm »
GP4000s tyres go on to Campag Eurus wheels just as easily as going on to Open Pros. I think the Campag wheels that don't need rim tape 'cos they don't have spoke holes are much easier than the ones with rim tape.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #62 on: 21 June, 2014, 02:44:01 pm »
I think every tyre is probably difficult on Exal XR2 rims. I've put Vittoria Open Corsage EVO SC on and they were very painful. Then even worse to remove.

Replaced with some older Michelin Lithions,  which are better, but still awkward and hard to get off to fix a leak.

Mike

« Reply #63 on: 28 June, 2014, 12:29:36 pm »
Have added the Exal XR2 to bottom of the list of rims in the OP as being the hardest of all (until someone tells me different)

Based on previously supplied information I've always shied away from anything Continental as being, potentially, too much of a ball-ache to deal with on the roadside at o'dark thirty on a long audax.... but I'm gettiing mixed messages now.
The bike shop in Abergavenny where I was obliged to buy a tyre on a recent 600 said they thought that in general they were better toleranced (easier to fit) than previously.
Certainly the GP 4 Seasons I've just taken off an Ambrosio Excellence rim (having been in place only a week) presented no difficulty for a single plastic lever.
With two side-wall failures on Duranos in under a week, and disappointment with the longevity of the Pro4 Endurance, I may have to look at Contis again.

« Reply #64 on: 06 November, 2014, 11:22:54 am »
Anyone fitted tyres to or removed them from Mavic Open Sports?
Yes - they are easy compared to chrina
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #65 on: 06 November, 2014, 11:24:04 am »
Ta.

I was hoping they'd be similar to the Open Pro.

Sounds as if they are.

« Reply #66 on: 31 December, 2014, 03:14:09 pm »
Mavic Open Sport: old Gatorskin 28 went on, came off, went on (Mrs B), came off (Mrs B) easily. Mrs B managed to get it back on with thumbs. She says it wasn't easy, but since it went on pretty quickly, the only other non-MTB wheel she's not needed a tool for is her Rigida-unknown-model old rear wheel, & she's not complaining that her thumbs hurt, I'd say it was easy.

I'd put that Open Sport as probably a little easier than my Open Pros.

« Reply #67 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:35:49 pm »
I think I have identified the nameless Rigida rim on Mrs B's old rear wheel. I believe it is a Rigida Flyer, a cheap rim about the same weight as a Mavic Open Sport. The cross-section on the Ryde site looks right, & the measurements, eyelets or lack of, etc. all match.

It's piss-easy to get tyres on & off of. Much easier to get Gatorskins on & off of than a Mavic Open Pro or Open Sport. Mrs B can do it easily.

« Reply #68 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:20:29 am »
Marathon Plus onto a brompton 16" - absolute bitch!  At least the damn things don't puncture too often so they don't need to come on and off too regularly.

Rubino pro 25s I've found easy to fit onto shimano r500 rims, on the other hand vittoria randonneur 28s were difficult.  Although the newer sets of randonneaurs I've had have been a bit easier than the older versions.
Up the hills and round the bends

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #69 on: 27 March, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »
Today I spent over an hour struggling - and failing - to fit two different tyres on a new Rigida Chrina (700c, 13mm width). Even the first bead was a struggle. The first tyre was a Continental Ultrasports (a tyre I don't particularly like, but I had a pair hanging round in the bike shed cupboard) - its twin had gone on an old Chrina ok, but on the new rim, it wouldn't go. Then I remembered I had a GP 4 Seasons folding. I thought it might be easier - but no difference. I suppose I should try a Michelin, on the grounds of nationality of millimetres, but I don't have one. So I took it back to the shop where I got the rim (and built the wheel) and they said they'd have a go, and they had experienced quality control problems with Rigida recently. So perhaps it's best to avoid this make for a while.

« Reply #70 on: 27 March, 2015, 07:24:41 pm »
Marathon Plus onto a brompton 16" - absolute bitch!  At least the damn things don't puncture too often so they don't need to come on and off too regularly.

Rubino pro 25s I've found easy to fit onto shimano r500 rims, on the other hand vittoria randonneur 28s were difficult.  Although the newer sets of randonneaurs I've had have been a bit easier than the older versions.

26"x1.5 Vittoria Randonneurs (rigid bead version) on ZAC 2000 rims. I never got them to seat properly, one part of the bead was always in the well of the rim. Pasela TG 1.5 on the same rim no problem.

« Reply #71 on: 28 March, 2015, 08:50:15 pm »
I think I have identified the nameless Rigida rim on Mrs B's old rear wheel. I believe it is a Rigida Flyer, a cheap rim about the same weight as a Mavic Open Sport. The cross-section on the Ryde site looks right, & the measurements, eyelets or lack of, etc. all match.

It's piss-easy to get tyres on & off of. Much easier to get Gatorskins on & off of than a Mavic Open Pro or Open Sport. Mrs B can do it easily.
Confirmed that it is a Rigida Flyer. I found "Rigida F" engraved (or stamped) lightly on it, where the brakes won't touch.

"Easily" in this context means without VAR tool help. It's even easier with a Panaracer Pasela PT (or TG - AFAIK the difference isn't significant), her now preferred tyre.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #72 on: 01 April, 2015, 08:56:31 pm »
Today I managed to fit a Vittoria Rubino Pro to the same Chrina rim. I thought it was going to be another impossible task, like the Continentals, as it needed a tyre lever to fit the first bead  :o but in the end it all went on. Using Decathlon yellow tyre levers, which might be a good recommendation for them. I still think there's something not quite right with the rim though, as I've never struggled with the Continentals before.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #73 on: 03 April, 2015, 12:37:26 am »
Fitting a Vittoria Open Pave 27c clincher on a Vision Team rim resulted in much sweat and tears and one knackered tube this afternoon.

Previously a Conti GP4000S 25c went on the same wheel with ease.

Also the OPs felt incredibly harsh at the minimum recommended pressure of 100psi. I had to stop to let some air out on my way home this evening, much better after that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #74 on: 17 September, 2015, 01:28:28 pm »
Is this list no longer updated? I've reported a couple of additional rims which haven't been added, & reported on tyres.

NB. The Rigida/Ryde Flyer (very easy rim, much easier than Mavic Open Pro or Open Sport, both of which I've found noticeably easier than the old Mavic MA2) is now called the Racer.

I'm surprised how tight Gatorskins are rated as. Nowhere near that bad in my estimation. Mrs B, who freely admits that she's lousy at fitting & removing tyres, has put 'em on Mavic Open Sports with thumbs, & she usually uses a VAR tool for everything.