Author Topic: Following Tracks on eTrex Vista HCx  (Read 8218 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Following Tracks on eTrex Vista HCx
« on: 14 October, 2009, 10:12:14 pm »
I have just got one of these units and I cannot get the unit to follow tracks. When I load a track from my computer it shows on the screen and has the way points.

I go to the Tracks > Select the track > TracBack

I select the end point of the track and it asks me if I want 'Shorter Distance' or 'Faster Time'. I select one and it calculates and then displays a pink line on the screen that is the calculated path and not the track I entered. The calculated path may differ greatly from the Track.

I have taken advice and nothing appears to change this.

I would like to follow tracks - which appears to be the best option for Audax - but cannot get the eTrex to follow the track.

Please help....
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Martin

Re: Following Tracks on eTrex Vista HCx
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2009, 10:17:56 pm »
I also have a Vista HcX; I don't think it will follow tracks; all it will do is Trackback which is no use. Best bet (edit; my preferred solition, I like my GPS to be like a SatNav) is send the track to your Mapsource (assuming you have the whole map on your PC) make a proper route with it using the route toll by adding waypoints to ensure it stays on route (max 50) then send the route back to the device and tell it to navigate by "follow road" (it will assume you want to start from wherever the GPS is at the time) you can probably do all this on the device and not a pc if you know what you are doing...

(edit to what WB said) you can set it not to recalculate if off route it just shows you where you are and where the route is)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2009, 10:20:39 pm »
I just follow the track by making sure the arrow doesn't deviate from it. It really is just the same as having a paper map with  a pencil line drawn on the proposed route, except of course you can vary the scale and you don't keep having to turn the map over.

I suspect that, since the processor isn't constantly having to calculate stuff, it saves on batteries as well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2009, 10:26:39 pm »
I just follow the track by making sure the arrow doesn't deviate from it. It really is just the same as having a paper map with  a pencil line drawn on the proposed route, except of course you can vary the scale and you don't keep having to turn the map over.

I suspect that, since the processor isn't constantly having to calculate stuff, it saves on batteries as well.

I do that too. I've tried routes/waypoints, but the tracks are more restful somehow - you just follow the screen if you want and it doesn't nag or recalculate constantly if you deviate  ;)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2009, 07:24:35 am »
Maybe I am a bit of a nerd by reading the manual but it claims that you can navigate a saved track on page 20, with prompts of 'Follow Road' or 'Follow Track'.

I think I am going to contact Garmin about this. It is very frustrating.

Why is it in the manual if the unit does not do it  >:(
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2009, 07:39:24 am »
I've used the follow road option on mine.
All I did was open the Menu page, click on tracks, then click on the track I want to follow. Follow rd gives directions "TL up left street" etc. Follow track just shows the track on the screen which as others have said you use like a map.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2009, 12:30:38 pm »
I've used the follow road option on mine.
All I did was open the Menu page, click on tracks, then click on the track I want to follow. Follow rd gives directions "TL up left street" etc. Follow track just shows the track on the screen which as others have said you use like a map.

I have never seen the follow road on my unit.

What unit do you have? I have eTrex Vista HCx which is new so it should have the latest software version 3.00 and GPS software version 2.9.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2009, 12:54:09 pm »
I have never seen the follow road on my unit.

Well that's usually a prompt connected with Routing but you might never see it if it has been enabled as the default setting.
In Setup>Routing - there is a choice of Follow Road, Off Road or Prompted. 
I have mine set to Prompted, that way whenever I initiate a Route or a Go To, I am offered the Follow/Off Road choice, and I do use either, depending on circumstances.

But I dunno how this fits in with following a Track ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2009, 02:34:17 pm »
Yes I have the same gps, had it about a month.
Follow road and follow track does the same thing.
As Frankie says it may be the setting, mines on prompted also.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:25:26 pm »
Just set my 'Routing Setup' to

Guidance Setup > Prompted
Follow Road Method > Prompted
Next Turn Pop-up > On

I have changed the Guidance from 'Follow Road'

Lets see when I go home what happens.

I will report later.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2009, 08:45:47 pm »
OK I got following the track to work tonight.

In Routing Setup I had

Guidance Method > Prompted
Follow Road Method > Prompted
Next Turn Pop-up > On

The Guidance Method I selected was Track. This gave pop-ups when there was a change in direction and nothing to do with road names.

I can live with this. I would prefer road navigation and would like to know if this is possible with tracks.

I am off to do a DIY 600 tomorrow so will now be downloading my tracks.

Wish me luck - first major ride with Garmin

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2009, 09:46:25 am »
Well I did my DIY 600 up to Lincoln and back. I am pleased with the follow track option, but confused on a number of issues.

1. Following tracks I get a next turn beep warning. This appears to be to do with the angle of the turn and came up more on winding roads than junctions. Is this correct?

2. I put a number of waypoints on the track. These offer good visual indication, but no beep to say I was passing. There are proximity alarms, but these require you to press Enter and are just annoying. Is there a way that you can jet the unit to beep near a waypoint without having to press enter.

3. Can you get a beep when go off course?

4. When I follow tracks there is no connection to roads. So all the navigation text says 'SW to turn 101' and the like. Not 'Turn left Albany Rd'. Richard says he gets this, but I only get this when I select follow road and a route is calculated. Is there a setting to make your track give route type instructions, but not calculate it's own way?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 18 October, 2009, 10:45:27 am »
I've pretty much given up on follow road.  The map has too many false one-way streets and blocked junctions to be of any use (Google Maps also has problems in this respect).  It keeps putting in U-turns after waypoints when you know there is a legitimate route.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13 on: 18 October, 2009, 10:55:26 am »
Bianchi Boy,
Thank you for starting this thread.  Saved me the trouble  ;D

I used the Go To function for the first time on Saturday. I was thoroughly lost and confused in Notting Hill and I did not have any idea which way to go.  I remembered my Garmin vista Csx has an SD card in it with all the road names on it.  I also have 'find address' option.  So I input my home address and let it do the business for me.  Problem one - being tired I did not remember to say I was on a bicycle.  I asked it to avoid highways and unpaved etc, and went for best route - either fastest or shortest - can't recall which.

It worked really well.  I loved it when it zoomed in when I came to a roundabout and it showed me which exit to take.  I didn't really feel I needed to know the road names as it was a struggle to juggle watching the London traffic ( not even really busy ) and to look for road names.  As long as it zoomed and my arrow was on the right path I was well happy.

But, are you saying I can put a track in and get it to do this?  I thought the unit was limited to 75 directions?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #14 on: 18 October, 2009, 01:08:07 pm »
Grub,

Interesting about what you say about 'go to'. I have used this also and found it useful. I have found the OSM map patchy in places and on my ride to Lincoln there were places that were devoid of roads and just had to follow the track.

I will be using my eTrex mainly for Audax. I got on really well with it on my ride to Lincoln. I had programmed some of the legs with proximity points and found these were just annoying.

If I could get the eTrex to beep when near a junction (Waypoint) and beep if I go off track then I think that would be dam near perfect.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2009, 10:26:06 am »
If I could get the eTrex to beep when near a junction (Waypoint) and beep if I go off track then I think that would be dam near perfect.

I hate to stray off-topic but much of this would be solved by following a Route, rather than a Track.

Since you are adding waypoints anyway, it doesn't take much to then join them up to form a Route.  The waypoints will then generate bleeps, and also you can get an alert if you stray off-route.  (There's a setup option under 'Marine' for an 'off-course alarm')

If you like, you can make the route 'invisible' on-screen, by colouring it pale yellow or whatever the map background is.  Colour your Track green, and all you'll see is the Track, just follow that as usual but set the GPS to follow the Route to add the prompts.   Use the Route in off-road mode then you aren't limited to 50 waypoints, you can go up to 250 which is loads.

Maybe.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2009, 01:18:00 pm »
I hate to stray off-topic but much of this would be solved by following a Route, rather than a Track.

I have not tried this. I will try this and see how I get on with it. Report back in the next few days or so.

« Reply #17 on: 19 October, 2009, 04:31:25 pm »

Since you are adding waypoints anyway, it doesn't take much to then join them up to form a Route.  The waypoints will then generate bleeps, and also you can get an alert if you stray off-route.  (There's a setup option under 'Marine' for an 'off-course alarm')

If you like, you can make the route 'invisible' on-screen, by colouring it pale yellow or whatever the map background is.  Colour your Track green, and all you'll see is the Track, just follow that as usual but set the GPS to follow the Route to add the prompts.   Use the Route in off-road mode then you aren't limited to 50 waypoints, you can go up to 250 which is loads.

Maybe.

Frankly,

So if I plan a track via waypoints, and then navigate it as a route by joining the waypoints together, and setting it to off road mode, I can get in 250 waypoints?

« Reply #18 on: 19 October, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »
I have just got one of these units and I cannot get the unit to follow tracks. When I load a track from my computer it shows on the screen and has the way points.

I go to the Tracks > Select the track > TracBack

I select the end point of the track and it asks me if I want 'Shorter Distance' or 'Faster Time'. I select one and it calculates and then displays a pink line on the screen that is the calculated path and not the track I entered. The calculated path may differ greatly from the Track.

I have taken advice and nothing appears to change this.

I would like to follow tracks - which appears to be the best option for Audax - but cannot get the eTrex to follow the track.

Please help....

I've just tried this out this afternoon. it was only on a two mile walk to a mates . when i left home i let it record the paths and roads that i walked. When i got to his house i saved the track. On my way back i did as you said select the track and select tracback, and follow track. i didn't have any waypoints in it so I chose 'end' and it showed the track on screen and had  a flash screen telling me which way to go.
Just before every turn it gave me a beep and a flash screen telling me which way to turn. No problems at any point on the way home.

I didn't get the shorter distance ,faster time options though.
I've always used tracklogs on trackbac when i've been in unfamiliar places and not had any problems. But for local rides on unfamiliar roads i usually just follow the arrow on the map page screen.
maybe it's something in the settings?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #19 on: 19 October, 2009, 07:00:44 pm »
So if I plan a track via waypoints, and then navigate it as a route by joining the waypoints together, and setting it to off road mode, I can get in 250 waypoints?

Well, Tracks and Routes are still 2 different things.  You'd need to convert one to the other (which is not an option in Mapsource but is easy using the freebie WinGDB3 - supplies some of the bits that Mapsource left out!).  But 250 waypoints - yes.

Some limits -
Tracks* 500 points per track, up to 20x.
Routes 250 points per route for most modern Garmins, 125 for a few older ones
or just 50 points if used in Follow Road mode.
And * you can upload one Track of up to 10,000 points provided it is named ACTIVE LOG

There are other limitations to be aware of but they're unlikely to come into play on a modern HCx - type unit.  The total routepoints limitation varies from model to model but HCx models can go past the 4000 mark easily.

« Reply #20 on: 20 October, 2009, 07:55:47 am »
after reading the first post again i think that you could be doing something wrong. If you're doing a trackbac then i don't think you should be getting the option of shorter distance/ faster time because you can't have those options following a saved track because you have to follow that specific track.
i only get those two options if i let the gps decide it's own way of getting somewhere in satnav mode.

« Reply #21 on: 20 October, 2009, 08:55:28 pm »
I had a brain wave ( maybe ) on the way home.  What about if you upload a track and then reverse the primary route.  That way you will be starting from the finish, according to the track.  Then when you go to start select trackback - hey presto ??  Will it work?