Author Topic: TDF 2023  (Read 26322 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: TDF 2023
« Reply #75 on: 03 July, 2023, 10:31:29 am »
I had a pair of grey shoes when I was 15. I got in trouble at school for wearing them in contravention of some stupid rule about uniform. Then I got in trouble with my mum because I'd assured her it wouldn't be a problem. Ended up blacking them with polish.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #76 on: 03 July, 2023, 10:52:20 am »
I had a pair of white cycling shoes which I ended up dyeing black; not because Goth/Emo/Troubled Teen but simply because them bobbing up and down in my line of sight while riding inna-lying-down-stylee was incredibly distracting.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #77 on: 03 July, 2023, 10:52:33 am »
Todays stage looks like it’ll be the first opportunity for Cav to get his record.

Do the panel think he’ll actually get the record or is it already beyond his grasp?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #78 on: 03 July, 2023, 11:12:03 am »
For sure it will be super hard for him unless some, or more, of his rivals are eliminated by crashes/mountains/COVID/not being selected in the first place but there is a long way to go.  We will see what happens.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #79 on: 03 July, 2023, 11:45:26 am »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #80 on: 03 July, 2023, 11:54:31 am »
They didn’t mention it on ITV4's live coverage but did during the highlights, complete with a picture of one of Calmejane's tyres with half a dozen drawing pins embedded in it.

citoyen

« Reply #81 on: 03 July, 2023, 12:01:17 pm »
Todays stage looks like it’ll be the first opportunity for Cav to get his record.

Do the panel think he’ll actually get the record or is it already beyond his grasp?

What does the run-in look like today? That will be a significant factor.

It looks like they no longer have the final kilometre maps for each stage on the official website - seem to have been replaced with Strava segments. FFS.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #82 on: 03 July, 2023, 03:34:15 pm »
I’d forgotten that the app I used last year lags behind the live coverage by a few minutes and have paid for it again this year  :facepalm: It’s not a lot of cash thankfully, but the lag is irritating when I’m using the app while I watch the live coverage.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #83 on: 03 July, 2023, 03:38:21 pm »
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tacks-in-the-road-spark-mass-punctures-in-finale-of-tour-de-france-stage-2/

Didn't even notice this while watching it live.

Commentators saying modern tubeless tyres don’t puncture fast, just lose pressure slowly.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #84 on: 03 July, 2023, 04:06:16 pm »
Down to the last 45k so time to mute the volume while Carlton Kirby goes through his usual 'possible stage winners' drivel.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #85 on: 03 July, 2023, 05:02:11 pm »
Well. That was exciting was it not.

« Reply #86 on: 03 July, 2023, 05:10:49 pm »
Some controversy being raised concerning barriers.
Move Faster and Bake Things

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #87 on: 03 July, 2023, 09:03:35 pm »
For all the talk about safety, there wasn't a major crash in the last 10km, which must be a rarity for the TdF in recent years.  I read that they had rerouted a section towards the end after discussions with Adam Hansen.  Was that referred to at all in the commentary
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #88 on: 03 July, 2023, 09:26:56 pm »
The rerouting got a brief mention during to introduction on the ITV4 live show but not during the stage itself.  IIRC they didn’t say why it had been rerouted so I assumed the road had fallen into the sea or been buried by a landslide or something.

« Reply #89 on: 04 July, 2023, 11:39:01 am »
I think there was some mention on the GCN coverage of a re route due to a level crossing but that might have been a different re route.

« Reply #90 on: 04 July, 2023, 11:47:48 am »
Looks like a spectator holding phone over barrier hit WvA (doing ~70km/h), lost their phone, & prob contributed to him sitting up during the sprint...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

« Reply #91 on: 04 July, 2023, 01:34:55 pm »
Looks like a spectator holding phone over barrier hit WvA (doing ~70km/h), lost their phone, & prob contributed to him sitting up during the sprint...

So not quite the full Abdoujaparov then!

« Reply #92 on: 04 July, 2023, 01:48:04 pm »

So not quite the full Abdoujaparov then!

The "full Abdoujaparov" was a case of hitting the barriers on the Champs Elysee all by himself. You might be thinking of Stage 1 in the 1994 TdF where a copper leaned out in front of Wilfred Nelissen, causing spectacular crash which also took out Laurent Jalabert.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #93 on: 04 July, 2023, 02:22:43 pm »
Boring today.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #94 on: 04 July, 2023, 02:49:39 pm »
Having a bit of a pootle in the French countryside atm...  Even the commentators haven't turned up (AFAIA).  Had the streaming set to 'ambient'.  doh.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #95 on: 04 July, 2023, 03:03:27 pm »
It _might_ get interesting inside the last km.

Also I’m not sure what the breakaway is all about because I’m sure the peloton will close it down long before the end.

« Reply #96 on: 04 July, 2023, 04:11:36 pm »
As ani fule kno, futile breakaways are all about getting the team sponsors some TV exposure. It's all in accordance with an ancient charter, or something.

Also, calculating how hard to ride to catch the break at the right point gives the pelican some mental stimulus to counter the terminal ennui of the kind of stage where even Carlton Kirby runs out of inanities to burble about.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #97 on: 04 July, 2023, 04:14:26 pm »
Are we nearly there yet?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #98 on: 04 July, 2023, 04:16:57 pm »
As ani fule kno, futile breakaways are all about getting the team sponsors some TV exposure. It's all in accordance with an ancient charter, or something.

And in the case of Thomas Voeckler, an opportunity for viewers to enjoy the full range of his facial expressions.

« Reply #99 on: 04 July, 2023, 04:21:58 pm »

And in the case of Thomas Voeckler, an opportunity for viewers to enjoy the full range of his facial expressions.

;D