Author Topic: OVO Energy Women's tour...  (Read 4982 times)

Re: OVO Energy Women's tour...
« Reply #25 on: 13 June, 2019, 02:19:28 pm »
Oxford Mail...

A statement from race organisers Sweetspot has denied that a 'pothole' was to blame for the crash and said it was a 'racing incident'.

The statement said: "​It was not in any way caused by road conditions.

“We have worked closely with Oxfordshire County Council, who have spent three weeks on the route inspecting and carrying out necessary repair work.

“There was a further final inspection yesterday, before the race, involving us and the council. Our own inspector goes out 45 minutes ahead of the race and they were happy with the route. No issues were found on this section of road.

“It is impossible to say what caused the accident.”

Jesus wept! That reads like something straight out the belly of the Oceania Ministry of Truth.

« Reply #26 on: 15 June, 2019, 07:38:49 am »
OM have been to have a look...  https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17707911.ovo-womens-cycle-crash-proof-of-pothole-which-ended-marianne-voss-race/?c=ju5bym

Not a "Huge" [sic] pothole, but something.  Probably doesn't fit the council definition of a 'pothole'...

edit.  I think that  "​It was not in any way caused by road conditions." is wishful thinking on their part.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #27 on: 15 June, 2019, 08:37:29 am »
TBH as much as I wanted it to be an obvious pothole when I saw the race footage it looked like a touching of wheels to me. Difficult to tell for sure, and in my experience Oxon does have the worse overall road surfaces of anywhere I've cycled including Cuba!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #28 on: 15 June, 2019, 09:47:54 am »
The Oxfordshire definition of a pothole seems to be “something large enough to swallow a small SUV”.

I have found one excellent stretch of road in the county.