Author Topic: UK Proxy Servers?  (Read 6355 times)

Jakob

UK Proxy Servers?
« on: 02 November, 2008, 07:34:13 am »
So, I would like to use BBC iplayer (and watch Channel 4 as well), but being in Canada it wont let me.
 I'm prepared to pay (a small amount) for a dedicated proxy server, can anyone recommend one? Or a 'public' proxy that actually works with iPlayer?

Re: UK Proxy Servers?
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2008, 08:57:32 am »
Not sure if this will work outside the UK, but may be worth trying iplayer downloader or get iplayer to download iphone compatible content which can be played in many movie players.

iplayer downloader

Many free proxy servers tend to be flaky, although some companies offer a paid VPN connection, eg VPNgates

mr_brooks

« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2008, 07:06:13 pm »
Currently looking into this as well. At the moment I'm piggy-backing a connection via an SSH tunnel to a kind friend running TinyProxy in the UK, which is working well for BBC iPlayer (hooray! Silent Witness!!), but for some reason doesn't manage to fool the Channel 4 Catch Up service (boo! No Bobski the Builder...).

I haven't got around to packet sniffing yet to see what I'm sending across to identify myself as unwanted...

I'm also debating something like VPNGates, or even a dedicated virtual Linux server (UKP 15 per month from someone like http://www.bytemark.co.uk/)

Jakob

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2008, 07:38:11 pm »
Well, with the linux server, aren't you going to bump against the bandwidth limit rather quickly?

mr_brooks

« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2008, 07:47:24 pm »
Well, with the linux server, aren't you going to bump against the bandwidth limit rather quickly?

<fx>Sound of internal debate being resolved and flaw in plan being spotted</fx>

:)

Jakob

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2008, 06:16:42 am »
Well, bought one months worth of VPNGates and so far so good. (Works as advertised)

Edit: Erhh, maybe not...bandwidth seems to be limited to around 50kb/sec