Author Topic: Stuffed by age and homeworking  (Read 3579 times)

Re: Stuffed by age and homeworking
« Reply #25 on: 10 November, 2023, 03:44:21 pm »
I'm probably an anti-social bugger. Not so affected by lack of social contact. I do chat to colleagues via zoom daily, and via slack.

Declining health and mobility gets me down a lot. Winters here are long and dark and it is very easy to get out of exercising. If I lived near town I'd hit the gym regularly, but I'm just a little far away for that and don't feel comfortable driving just to go to the gym.

My general go-to would be paddling, the cold doesn't bother me and I can cope with severe winds. However, my shoulder injury rules out doing energetic paddling. I can use a rowing machine or even row though.

MrsC has agreed that getting a rowing maching would be good for both of us; she insists on a waterrower as it looks attractive in the house.

Ordered today.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 12 November, 2023, 11:16:05 pm »
I've got a concept 2 rower and it really gets my lower back. If you've got an iffy lower back start strengthening your back before your rower arrives and take it easy at first. I've stopped using my rower now. It kept leaving my lower back with a low ache after each session.

You might not have an issue but listen to your body when you start off. Plus learn a good rowing technique. The concept 2 community / forum pages have good information on rowing techniques and how to get the best out of them.  There's a very good website on starting our.  Something with Pete's in it.  It's a kind of the rowing equivalent to running couch to 2k training plans.

« Reply #27 on: 13 November, 2023, 02:32:24 pm »
My lower back is very weak, too many years of sitting in an office chair all day.

I don't find that rowing causes issues, but technique, mostly keeping body upright, bend at hip joint, is key.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #28 on: 24 November, 2023, 10:08:20 am »
I've had a week of working away from home, using a dining chair at a desk.
My back is absolutely stuffed after a week of sitting on this wretched thing.
I'll never complain about my office chair again.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 24 November, 2023, 10:57:44 am »
For almost ten years I used an ordinary dining chair as a desk chair. It was fine, for me, but a desk chair is better.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 24 November, 2023, 07:11:16 pm »
I spent the day on an armchair. Mostly because a builder was making a racket downstairs.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk