Author Topic: RAAAAAWWWRR!  (Read 9252 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: RAAAAAWWWRR!
« Reply #25 on: 29 September, 2020, 01:33:31 am »
We must also remember of course that Mr Boardman sells bikes.

No he doesn’t. He takes a licensing fee for the bikes that are made with his name on. He no longer owns the company. He sold it to Halfords in 2014.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/halfords-acquires-boardman-bikes-125396

« Reply #26 on: 29 September, 2020, 05:02:08 am »
One can never have too much Nice C with his advocacy hat on, but even so…
He's an advocate of disc brakes and electric gears.

Nope. He like discs for general riding, but was scathing about the lack of standardisation for racing. He accepts that electronic gears are bling, and appreciates the wifi system of SRAM Etap, but - as he put it - both discs and electronic gears are ‘solutions looking for a problem’.

Until it rains

« Reply #27 on: 29 September, 2020, 07:49:30 am »
On last Saturday's ride, a group of four of us were chatting about bikes. One lady said she had
'through axle' disc brakes and had no idea how to get the wheel off if she had a puncture, nor
change pads if she had to. None of the group had experience of discs. There's a learning opportunity for us I suppose?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #28 on: 29 September, 2020, 08:26:04 am »
One can never have too much Nice C with his advocacy hat on, but even so…
He's an advocate of disc brakes and electric gears.

Nope. He like discs for general riding, but was scathing about the lack of standardisation for racing. He accepts that electronic gears are bling, and appreciates the wifi system of SRAM Etap, but - as he put it - both discs and electronic gears are ‘solutions looking for a problem’.

Until it rains

He was clear that carbon rims and rim brakes are not a good combination when it's wet. I'm sure many of us will testify to that! But good rim brakes on alloy rims are fine in my experience. Most of us don't do much Alpine descending, so we're unlikely to risk overheat punctures. So I think, for the vast majority of users, he's right. He did accept that once standardisation had been achieved, the racing scene would probably be all discs within a couple of years.

« Reply #29 on: 29 September, 2020, 08:45:39 am »
We must also remember of course that Mr Boardman sells bikes.

No he doesn’t. He takes a licensing fee for the bikes that are made with his name on. He no longer owns the company. He sold it to Halfords in 2014.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/halfords-acquires-boardman-bikes-125396

True, but it’s still a vested interest.

« Reply #30 on: 29 September, 2020, 09:24:31 am »
On last Saturday's ride, a group of four of us were chatting about bikes. One lady said she had
'through axle' disc brakes and had no idea how to get the wheel off if she had a puncture, nor
change pads if she had to. None of the group had experience of discs. There's a learning opportunity for us I suppose?
So what was her plan if she had a puncture? Taxi?
Changing pads is a different matter - they are unlikely to wear out completely on even a long ride, so you could take them to the bike shop. Or learn on youtube - you need a bike shop or the internet to get replacements anyway.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 29 September, 2020, 11:20:51 am »
I'm having difficulty comprehending the notion that anyone who wasn’t being followed by a team car doesn't know how to carry out the basic on-the-road maintenance that we all know and love hate.  Got new tech on your bike?  RTFM, like this Unit did with hydraulic rim brakes thirty years ago and hydraulic discs shortly after the turn of the millennium.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #32 on: 29 September, 2020, 01:13:09 pm »
Didn't ask.
Changing pads is a different matter - they are unlikely to wear out completely on even a long ride,
That's obvious
so you could take them to the bike shop. Or learn on youtube - you need a bike shop or the internet to get replacements anyway.
True. I'm still on rim brakes and for my type of riding they're fine. In the wet use common sense
and anticipation.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: 29 September, 2020, 01:44:25 pm »
I'm having difficulty comprehending the notion that anyone who wasn’t being followed by a team car doesn't know how to carry out the basic on-the-road maintenance that we all know and love hate.  Got new tech on your bike?  RTFM, like this Unit did with hydraulic rim brakes thirty years ago and hydraulic discs shortly after the turn of the millennium.

Oh you'd be amazed.

When I was at the shop recently a guy came in. He had an e-bike, and the rear tyre had gone flat. He'd tried to ride it a bit further to the shop, but the tyre came off the rim, and the tube popped out. He kept riding, the tube self destructed. He kept riding. When he pulled up at the bike shop we looked at the rear wheel, we looked at each other, we apologised, then told him it was going to need a new rim. If he'd walked it slowly to the shop, it would have been inner + possibly outer. In the end if cost him inner, outer, rim, and wheel build.

People don't understand bikes.

You'd be amazed at how many people who ride even high end fancy bikes aren't able to fix a basic flat at the side of the road. What's worse is the number who inspired by "being more pro" have a crappy multi tool, a single tyre leaver, and a pump that wouldn't blow out a candle, but fits in their jersey pocket. I have rescued many a roadie at the side of the road by simply having a decent pump (Topeak Turbo Morph G - https://amzn.to/3cH8Ai5).

Changing pads is a different matter - they are unlikely to wear out completely on even a long ride, so you could take them to the bike shop. Or learn on youtube - you need a bike shop or the internet to get replacements anyway.

Really? There's two sets in my frame bag, just incase. They weigh nothing, and the tools to swap them are a 3mm allen key, and my leatherman...

There are so many standards for disc brake pads that to hope that the next bike shop you goto has the right ones is asking a bit much, simpler just to carry them in your bag... not like they are heavy.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #34 on: 29 September, 2020, 01:54:56 pm »

Really? There's two sets in my frame bag, just incase. They weigh nothing, and the tools to swap them are a 3mm allen key, and my leatherman...

There are so many standards for disc brake pads that to hope that the next bike shop you goto has the right ones is asking a bit much, simpler just to carry them in your bag... not like they are heavy.
That you have a frame bag suggests that you're not just out for a nice ride around the countryside are you? :) I've never carried rim or disk brake pads on a ride, but that's because I don't do epic rides so if I need to change them on a ride I've failed to maintain my bike.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 29 September, 2020, 03:41:16 pm »
That you have a frame bag suggests that you're not just out for a nice ride around the countryside are you? :) I've never carried rim or disk brake pads on a ride, but that's because I don't do epic rides so if I need to change them on a ride I've failed to maintain my bike.

Nope, it's there all the time, even a 20k training ride, upto audaxes, tours, and races. Keeps my pockets empty.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #36 on: 29 September, 2020, 09:26:12 pm »
Welcome to the modern world.  If they don't plan to ring to be picked up (which is a really common occurrence with dad-club cyclists) then they will get their smartphone out and google how to do it on the spot.  I guess, fair play, why learn to do something until you actually need to do it.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #37 on: 01 October, 2020, 03:54:06 pm »
Because it's cold, it's raining, my smart phone won't swipe when I've told it to because my hands are cold and wet and it adds 15 minutes of googling and helpful suggestions mixed with threats of mild violence for getting my riding mates cold, which, is time I could have spent fixing the problem in the first place.

Alright, I'm not advocating everyone learns how to replace the inner spring of a derailuer and make it work smoothly using not much more than wet grass and an old bit of inner tube you happen to be carrying but knowing how to fix a puncture is basic. If you understand how your bike works and something breaks you can at least figure how to get home managing the problem or say, bodge a chain into something resembling forward drive so at least you can get somewhere better than the wet dark A-road you suddenly found yourself stuck on.

One of the greatest losses I have come across in this modern world is an understanding of mechanical sympathy.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #38 on: 01 October, 2020, 06:20:53 pm »
And the second greatest  loss is use of the hands because of arthritis. DAMHIKT.  It's just as well I can still play the guitar - oh, hang on a minute....

rob

« Reply #39 on: 04 October, 2020, 08:31:56 pm »
Anyone see the finish of LBL ?

Hero to zero in a week.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #40 on: 04 October, 2020, 08:54:08 pm »
Oops

« Reply #41 on: 04 October, 2020, 09:55:40 pm »

Hero to zero in a week.

It had everything didnt it..

The berserk sprint with pre-sprint jerking around the road,  and then the too early celebration, rounded off by a relegation, and all whilst taking the WC jersey for its first outing

« Reply #42 on: 04 October, 2020, 10:22:26 pm »
That's possibly one of the faster manifestations of the curse of the rainbow jersey:demon:

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

simonp

« Reply #43 on: 04 October, 2020, 11:52:09 pm »
Did pretty much everything wrong. I am not sure that Hirschi could have got ahead of him without the block but now we'll never know.

« Reply #44 on: 05 October, 2020, 10:57:19 am »

Hero to zero in a week.

It had everything didnt it..

The berserk sprint with pre-sprint jerking around the road,  and then the too early celebration, rounded off by a relegation, and all whilst taking the WC jersey for its first outing

You might like this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVxxaj1j9nE

« Reply #45 on: 05 October, 2020, 12:40:33 pm »
That was pretty stupid sprinting. It's a bunch of guys who don't do bunch kicks, but there's no excuse, and Alaphilippe in particular should know better. It's difficult to work out a sensible penalty system, because to him, 1st is all he's after, so if sprinting fairly means 2nd and sprinting dangerously means first, he has all the incentive in the world to be dangerous. It's not like he'll bemoan the fact that his second place got turned into 5th. And 500CHF is the same fine as he got for littering. Maybe they should have a way of fining them x weeks wages, or hurting the team in some way (maybe everyone in the team loses all their UCI points for that race? Or even the team gets that number of UCI points docked from their total?).

In news that was totally overshadowed, Lizzie D won https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/lizzie-deignan-wins-liege-bastogne-liege-femmes-solo/ :)
After the worlds, where she ended up just dropping off the podium spots in the final 500m of climbing (and then dragged a bunch including Vos to the line for 4th), it's another big win this season and shows that maybe she's in the form of her career (when she won worlds the level of competition was slightly lower IMO).

« Reply #46 on: 05 October, 2020, 02:10:00 pm »
Did pretty much everything wrong. I am not sure that Hirschi could have got ahead of him without the block but now we'll never know.
Hirschi was picking up speed to overtake Alaphillippe. I'm sure he would have done so.

On the women's edition; their distance was about half of the men's race. If elite women marathon runners
can complete their event just a few minutes slower than the men, surely it should be possible for elite women
cyclists to finish a monument a few minutes down on the top men's time?

« Reply #47 on: 05 October, 2020, 02:24:56 pm »
The TT at the worlds was the same distance for the women as the men, which has never happened before, was the mens distance shorter than normal? Although the road race for the women was was only just over half the mens distance.

On the world tour, I suspect it's not really about distance or capability, it's more about the fact the mens race has more financial involvement and they therefore want/get more TV exposure. Why can't the women get a three week Grand Tour?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #48 on: 05 October, 2020, 02:35:39 pm »
On the women's edition; their distance was about half of the men's race. If elite women marathon runners
can complete their event just a few minutes slower than the men, surely it should be possible for elite women
cyclists to finish a monument a few minutes down on the top men's time?

I don't know the actual distances, but elite women cyclists aren't allowed to cycle as far as men because the misogynist dinosaurs at the UCI think their wombs will fall out if they do (or something like that).

« Reply #49 on: 05 October, 2020, 02:38:06 pm »
The discussion about the length of womens' cycling races came up at the Giro Rosa last month. At the 170km 4th stage (10 km over the UCI recommendation for womens' WorldTour races), Danish rider Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig said to Cycling News, "Finally, we're being taken seriously, and they don't think our uteruses will fall out if we ride long stages."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/womens-peloton-breaks-through-maximum-distance-barrier-at-giro-rosa/

Conversely, other riders aren't sure if adding distance will add to the racing, arguing that the shorter distances encourage more aggressive racing tactics.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche