Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80696 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #325 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:15:09 am »

Also, if Andy was capable of riding away from the group and didn't do it, then he must be mentally deficient, because I can't see that it would make any sense tactically to get the whole team riding hard at the front of the peloton all day and then not finish the job...

... or the silly sod wanted to finish the stage holding hands with his brother. ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #326 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:25:34 am »

Also, if Andy was capable of riding away from the group and didn't do it, then he must be mentally deficient, because I can't see that it would make any sense tactically to get the whole team riding hard at the front of the peloton all day and then not finish the job...

... or the silly sod wanted to finish the stage holding hands with his brother. ::-)

Andy explains his strategy in a post stage 14 interview:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rrGWczbwDRY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/rrGWczbwDRY&rel=1</a>

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #327 on: 19 July, 2011, 09:37:45 am »
Tons and tons of abandons on the Etape yesterday, apparently, due to hypothermia. Let's hope the weather improves for the racers.

It's snowing on col de Galbier again today  :(

« Reply #328 on: 19 July, 2011, 10:18:45 am »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/flecha-wont-be-surprised-if-voeckler-wins-tour-de-france

Got to say, I noticed Voeckler accelerate immediately after the crash, and it is undoubtedly true that he exploited the crash to get himself in yellow.

He has done well to keep hold of it, regardless

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #329 on: 19 July, 2011, 10:22:44 am »

I could well believe that. But surely the silly sod had his DS screaming in his ear telling him to just bloody get on with it?

Andy explains his strategy in a post stage 14 interview:

;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #330 on: 19 July, 2011, 10:39:24 am »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/flecha-wont-be-surprised-if-voeckler-wins-tour-de-france

Got to say, I noticed Voeckler accelerate immediately after the crash, and it is undoubtedly true that he exploited the crash to get himself in yellow.

He has done well to keep hold of it, regardless

Voekler didn't show any class when he capitalised on that crash but I agree he's done well to retain the MJ.

Some interesting quotes in that link from Flecha... reinforces some of what I read in this article:
http://inrng.com/2011/07/popularity-the-peloton-vs-the-public/

a great mind thinks alike

citoyen

« Reply #331 on: 19 July, 2011, 11:03:34 am »
So what was Voeckler supposed to do? The only circumstances where I can imagine any rider stopping in that situation is if it were a team-mate who'd been involved in the crash.

Did any of the riders who capitalised on the crash on day one stop to check Contador was OK?

d.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #332 on: 19 July, 2011, 11:16:03 am »
I'm not suggesting he should have stopped, it's the acceleration almost immediately after the incident that's not very classy.

IMHO, he should have carried on at the same pace or even slowed a little for a short period to see if his breakaway companions could get back on before trying to take advantage of the situation.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #333 on: 19 July, 2011, 11:19:12 am »
So what was Voeckler supposed to do? The only circumstances where I can imagine any rider stopping in that situation is if it were a team-mate who'd been involved in the crash.

Did any of the riders who capitalised on the crash on day one stop to check Contador was OK?

d.
Agreed.

There has been limited precedent where GC contenders have waited for each other*, or at least chosen to not attack. But a breakaway is very different. I dont recall any precedent for riders in a breakaway waiting - in this situation it would have been catastrophic for Voeckler (+2?).

I suspect Voeckler has got past form, leading to riders taking the most -ve possible view of this situation. I have to say that this seems like a campaign of whispers to me so far - everyone states that he's not popular, but I'm not really sure why. Are there specific incidents, or does he just rub folks up the wrong way?  ???

Would Evans-Voeckler-Contador be the least popular podium ever?!?

*I don't really want to rake over the whole Ulrich-Lance thing again...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #334 on: 19 July, 2011, 11:35:46 am »
This was not a puncture or a rider touching a wheel. An official car took out two riders - a highly unusual situation - and in those circumstances I personally thought he should have been a little less selfish, just for a moment.

citoyen

« Reply #335 on: 19 July, 2011, 12:13:37 pm »
I don't believe Voeckler behaved differently to how any other rider would have behaved in that situation.

d.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #336 on: 19 July, 2011, 02:11:26 pm »
Weather doesn't sound too good on the stage at present. There is talk of limiting the stage due to adverse weather up the mountain.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

gonzo

« Reply #337 on: 19 July, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
Does anyone think that Europcar will be complaining about lack of value for money of their sponsorship?

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #338 on: 19 July, 2011, 04:52:41 pm »

What a great race today.

I just found this blog with some really nice photos from TdF : http://blog.onev.com.au/

« Reply #339 on: 19 July, 2011, 05:00:05 pm »
That was an interesting stage, and we haven't even hit the high Alps yet!

Cuddles and Bertie the moral winners today.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #340 on: 19 July, 2011, 05:03:48 pm »
I was not impressed by Schleck (A) whinging about the design of the course.

Roads sometimes go downhill, Andy. And sometimes it rains. Especially in mountains.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #341 on: 19 July, 2011, 05:21:41 pm »
I was not impressed by Schleck (A) whinging about the design of the course.

Roads sometimes go downhill, Andy. And sometimes it rains. Especially in mountains.

^ This.

Too bad that he'd been gapped on the way up, and that Cancellara wasn't up front, trying to neutralise the day's racing as per Stage 2 of last year's race:demon:

He really needs to grow a pair, and get some CX or MTB practice during the off-season.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #342 on: 19 July, 2011, 05:40:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Riis was smiling all the way home today, he knows the weaknesses of the Schleck brothers
and used that today, they can not decend.
I am looking forward to tomorrows stage, the 8 km down to the finish are said to be worse than the one today (steeper, curvy and wet spots)
according to Rolf sørensen. He rides the last 20-30km of each stage the same morning and reports + rides all the Cols and decends before the TdF.

« Reply #343 on: 19 July, 2011, 06:11:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Riis was smiling all the way home today, he knows the weaknesses of the Schleck brothers
and used that today, they can not decend.
I am looking forward to tomorrows stage, the 8 km down to the finish are said to be worse than the one today (steeper, curvy and wet spots)
according to Rolf sørensen. He rides the last 20-30km of each stage the same morning and reports + rides all the Cols and decends before the TdF.

However, given that Cuddles and even Voeckler are both good descenders, I wouldn't be complacent if I were big Bjarne.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #344 on: 19 July, 2011, 06:14:49 pm »
Quote from: Raminphrikesh Pharghangitalivati

How did he exploit the crash?   He was set on gaining time to get the yellow jersey, he might have gained more time had there been five riders in the breakaway rather than the three remaining.   He did speak to his team car , I think they have tv's in the car so they would have been aware of the situation.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #345 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:14:24 pm »
How much time do the riders have to hold in the Alps? I was thinking about this question just now, so decided to draw u a table of how the leaders have fared in the recent final time trials.  Here are the results.   

Year                           2010          2009          2008          2007
ITT distance (km)     52              40.5           53              55.5
Thomas Voeckler      01:10:07   00:53:42   01:15:09   01:08:34
Alberto Contador      01:06:49   00:48:31   --               01:05:02
Cadel Evans              01:11:54   00:49:45   01:05:55   01:03:35
Andy Schleck            01:07:10   00:50:15   01:07:52   --
Frank Schleck            --               00:51:05   01:09:28   01:08:02

If the Schlecks don't pull their siamese-joined fingers out it'll be a battle between Cuddles and Contador - unless it's 2010 again they're not that different but are both much better than the BS (but we knew that.)  Unless Voeckler can inspire himself to the TT of his life, holding on in the Alps won't be good enough for him: he'll have to attack as he's the worst TTer in the list by quite some margin.  Somehow, I don't see that happening.

« Reply #346 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:16:35 pm »
Thor's grin when crossing the line was huge.  I think Edwald Boasen Hagen went to sleep for a moment there.  Shame as it would have been good to see them go head to head.  This is certainly a very entertaining race - best one I have seen in years.

« Reply #347 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:22:13 pm »
How did he exploit the crash?   He was set on gaining time to get the yellow jersey, he might have gained more time had there been five riders in the breakaway rather than the three remaining.   He did speak to his team car , I think they have tv's in the car so they would have been aware of the situation.

He ended up in yellow because of the crash. Not the most sporting way to get a yellow jersey.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #348 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:43:28 pm »
Lovely bit of work from the Thighs of Thunder today. :thumbsup:

That wet descent really did separate the men from the boys, eh?  I've never ridden a wet mountain descent: the one opportunity I had, I bottled and went in the bus.  Balls, steel, pair of.  Sparks optional.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #349 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:49:29 pm »
Had my money on Contador all the way through, fully expecting him to come good. Looks like that time might just about have arrived.

Schleck is a whinging git. His post-race interview was an embarassment to himself and his team. He should focus more on growing a pair than growing a moustache  ;D