Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80349 times)

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #600 on: 23 July, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »
The one downer at the end of such an amazing race is that the winner is an A***ie.
I've been cheering Cuddles as a bit of an anti-hero for a while, particularly since he won the World Champs and did good stuff in the Giro, but it is very difficult to to see an A***ie win.
But they are such a humble lot and will in no way go overboard with their celebrations....
"Mister Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note,
and let it float. " - Don Van Vliet, R.I.P.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #601 on: 23 July, 2011, 06:16:54 pm »
Well done Cadel  :thumbsup:

Just a shame Voekler couldn't jump above Frank Schleck too.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #602 on: 23 July, 2011, 07:50:24 pm »
Well done Cadel, enjoy the celebratory bank holiday  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #603 on: 23 July, 2011, 08:25:28 pm »
If Evans fails to start or manages to faff around on the last lap, due to a mechanical ... then he'll not win the Tour.

I think it highly likely that he'll start.  A crash that close to the finish doesn't affect the overall time.  If he has a mechanical a team-mate will have given him a bike and he'll be rolling again within seconds.  A bad crash is all that will stop him now, and he will be very carefully shepherded.

He's won the race, and good on him.

I agree it's been the best tour for years - maybe since the Fignon/Lemond finale? 

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #604 on: 23 July, 2011, 09:34:04 pm »
This year's must have outfit for roadside fans...Edinburgh firm Morphsuits stretches global reach
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-14252711
Aero but not dynamic

border-rider

« Reply #605 on: 23 July, 2011, 09:35:41 pm »
Fantastic Tour :)

we were routing for Evans to beat the tedious Schleck

good for Contador also

« Reply #606 on: 23 July, 2011, 11:33:01 pm »
Wondered when someone would mention Alberto.  Where might he have been if it hadn't been for that early crash?  That's not to take anything away from Evans, who has been hard as nails.  In fact, all the top ten riders have been outstanding, with the possible exception of Frank Schleck, who has merely been very good.  Many other riders have contributed to giving us one of the great tours.

What odds on Contador missing the Giro next year and winning the TdF - by a considerable margin?

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #607 on: 23 July, 2011, 11:46:25 pm »
The Tour ends tomorrow not today.

What he said!  All that exists is a tradition amongst the riders not to attack the yellow jersey on the last day .... except in 1989, of course!  Cuddles must cross the line to win and it's generally the whole pelican that will ensure that this happens.

Hopefully Cav will move from 'only rider ever to win Champs Elysees finish two years in a row' to a hat-trick. :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #608 on: 24 July, 2011, 12:04:22 am »
Even Contador comes out of this looking good. If he'd have destroyed his rivals he'd have been accused of all sorts. Once he knew he'd lost the GC he went all-out for a stage win in the terrain that he excels in - and failed. Now he just looks fallible and human.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #609 on: 24 July, 2011, 04:32:11 am »
Even Contador comes out of this looking good. If he'd have destroyed his rivals he'd have been accused of all sorts. Once he knew he'd lost the GC he went all-out for a stage win in the terrain that he excels in - and failed. Now he just looks fallible and human.

I agree.

Contador showed real character in attaching on the Galibier (part II).  I think that - if all goes well - he is capable of 3 GT wins in a single year, but it was nice to see him struggle a little.  When he got dropped on the ascent of the Galibier (part I) he dug deep to show his real character.

The most satifying aspect of this whole tour is that I can believe that the winner was drug free.  The first time ever (for me) that I have such confidence.

Cadel's first public speech after taking on the MJ was to thank his dead coach Aldo Sassi - a noted anti-drug campaigner.  Nice bit of class from the guy who I never really forgave for not dedicating his brilliant break away six years ago to Amy Gillet.

There was a great article in my newpaper yesterday by Simon Barnes about why test cricket is the best of  all possible sports.  Essentially it allows the character of indiviuals to be seen and the drama is hightened by the length of the plot development.  I think the TdF trumps this on both accounts.  The drama of having to wait for so long till the final result was known was incredible and watching Evans mature over the years (and even the last couple of weeks) have made this one of the most enjoyable moments of my many years spectating sport.  Ohh - and maybe I didn't mention it, but the fact that he is a compatriot and Opperman is one of my all time sporting heros adds a certain frisson to the moment as well.  73 years is a long time to since that first trip took a boat load of hopeful Ozzies to Paris with dreams of success in the biggest bike race of them all, but it is worth it.

Chapeau Mr Evans. 

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #610 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:05:43 am »
Having watched the ITV4 coverage in the evening, I can only say  :o to the way Evans 'stormed' the TT.

I mis-timed the afternoon coverage, came in from the garden an hour too late, turned on the TV to see Evans on the podium. As I turned the TV off I heard 1'34" mentioned and thought that was his winning margin on the day. ie GC leader by 37 secs.

What a surprise I got later in the evening when I realised Evans had hammered Schleck by 2 1/2 mins. Astonishing!!

Bravo Cadel  :thumbsup:

« Reply #611 on: 24 July, 2011, 10:57:45 am »
Millar gives a good interview here.  He appears more human of late.  I am looking forward to reading his book.

http://bcove.me/cnheupz0

gonzo

« Reply #612 on: 24 July, 2011, 12:56:38 pm »

Tedious Schleck? If it weren't for the brothers Schleck, this tour would not have been 1/2 as great as it was!

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #613 on: 24 July, 2011, 12:59:34 pm »

Tedious Schleck? If it weren't for the brothers Schleck, this tour would not have been 1/2 as great as it was!

One attack from Andy and a lot of whinging from both of them, but a display of dogged determination from Evans and Voekler who, IMO, both rode a much more exciting race ;)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #614 on: 24 July, 2011, 01:00:25 pm »
The drama of having to wait for so long till the final result was known was incredible

I know! A whole year on and we still don't know last year's result yet! ;)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #615 on: 24 July, 2011, 01:05:05 pm »

His post-race interview where he said he made the attack "for the fun of riding my bike" really brought a smile to my face. What better reason can there be?

d.

gonzo

« Reply #616 on: 24 July, 2011, 01:24:22 pm »

One attack from Andy and a lot of whinging from both of them, but a display of dogged determination from Evans and Voekler who, IMO, both rode a much more exciting race ;)
The only mountain finish where one of them didn't put time into Evans was the last one! Andy was also responsible for, arguably, the greatest stage win in the last decade.

It could just be that I don't really like Evans though ;)

RE. David Millar - which channel do you think he's got his eye on the commentary job for?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #617 on: 24 July, 2011, 01:28:54 pm »

Andy was also responsible for, arguably, the greatest stage win in the last decade.

I'd agree with that - and if Evan's hadn't led the chase and towed the 'pack' along I think it may have been a race winning move by Andy Schleck

citoyen

« Reply #618 on: 24 July, 2011, 01:29:47 pm »
Andy was also responsible for, arguably, the greatest stage win in the last decade.

Andy's winning margin wasn't what it should have been. Cadel didn't panic, rode his own race and was reeling him in towards the end - with no help at all from the peloton. In many ways, Cadel's ride was just as good as Andy's that day.

Rolland's win on Alpe d'Huez trumped Andy's win on the Galibier for me.

It could just be that I don't really like Schleck though. ;)

d.

citoyen

« Reply #619 on: 24 July, 2011, 01:31:59 pm »

I'd agree with that - and if Evan's hadn't led the chase and towed the 'pack' along I think it may have been a race winning move by Andy Schleck

As per earlier comments, I wonder if Andy now regrets not pressing home his advantage at Luz Ardiden. Did he sit up and wait or was he on the limit?

d.

« Reply #620 on: 24 July, 2011, 01:38:43 pm »
I don't find the Andy Schleck the most charismatic of cyclists, but his breakaway was absolutely gripping. Finishing into a headwind, up the Galibier? That requires cojones. I think that stage was harder than the Alpe D'Huez stage, because of the headwind. Perhaps if he grimaced a little more and whined a little less, he'd be more popular?

That said, chapeau to Cadel Evans. When he had that mechanical and had to swap bikes I thought he was a goner, but he has a mountain biker's determination!

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
« Reply #621 on: 24 July, 2011, 02:24:27 pm »
As they are riding through the 'burbs of Paris ,it is good to see the mix of the crowd on the streets with so many African and Asian origin people turning out and cheering them on. Bit of a change from the mountain stages when you may not see one black face. Maybe the next Genet is watching from the pavement?

« Reply #622 on: 24 July, 2011, 05:17:41 pm »

After last year I felt quite sorry for Schleck (A) - until he started whinging this year.
The journey is always more important than the destination

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
« Reply #623 on: 24 July, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »
Sunday, 8.05pm

I am bereft.

« Reply #624 on: 24 July, 2011, 08:29:34 pm »
Yes, but a wealthy bereft  :thumbsup: