Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80932 times)

Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #275 on: 16 July, 2011, 11:03:28 am »
It's when the team car hands out a bottle but doesn't let go, thus giving the cyclist a free ride

« Reply #276 on: 16 July, 2011, 04:55:59 pm »
Another classic stage from Jens today. Two crashes and still he finishes.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #277 on: 16 July, 2011, 06:24:06 pm »
It's when the team car hands out a bottle but doesn't let go, thus giving the cyclist a free ride

And see also 'magic spanner'  :)
Aero but not dynamic

gonzo

« Reply #278 on: 16 July, 2011, 06:47:17 pm »
Main thought on the stage today. Andy Schleck was on incredible form but didn't want to drop his brother. Frank was having an off day I reckon. If Andy doesn't win, I'll eat my hat. I reckon that we'll see two Schlecks on the podium in Paris with Evans in 2nd. (Unless Contador 'magically' re-gains form)

« Reply #279 on: 16 July, 2011, 07:04:46 pm »
I'm starting to wonder about Thomas Voeckler. Very in form.  If everyone else keeps cancelling each other out he stands a chance. He didn't look to be in any trouble today. The time trial might be his undoing though.

« Reply #280 on: 16 July, 2011, 07:30:18 pm »
I'm starting to wonder about Thomas Voeckler. Very in form.  If everyone else keeps cancelling each other out he stands a chance. He didn't look to be in any trouble today. The time trial might be his undoing though.

I'm inclined to agree, though it now looks like the GC contenders are waiting for the Thursday and Friday's stages to go for the sort-out. Nothing will happen tomorrow apart from some maillot vert action; the stages to Gap and Pinerolo are downhill finishes so they are more likely to be breakaway days. Mind you, the final climbs on those stages do offer an attacking opportunity to a GC rider with sufficient descending madskilz to maintain any gap gained down to the finish.

Having said all that, they could be daft enough to leave it to the time trial...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #281 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:10:10 pm »
Jens has joined Twitter now, brilliant ! Now his one liners can be broadcast instantaneously to thousands of people.

« Reply #282 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »

I'm inclined to agree, though it now looks like the GC contenders are waiting for the Thursday and Friday's stages to go for the sort-out. Nothing will happen tomorrow apart from some maillot vert action; the stages to Gap and Pinerolo are downhill finishes so they are more likely to be breakaway days. Mind you, the final climbs on those stages do offer an attacking opportunity to a GC rider with sufficient descending madskilz to maintain any gap gained down to the finish.

Having said all that, they could be daft enough to leave it to the time trial...

Now Lance Armstrong is tweeting that he thinks Voeckler has a chance to pull it off. If he did the whole of France would go crazy.

« Reply #283 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:32:46 pm »
Apparently Voeckler is very unpopular amongst the peleton

« Reply #284 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:37:27 pm »

Interesting. Why ?

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #285 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:40:32 pm »
Plus 1 I reckon he has a good chance, the others are so busy watching each other they are not putting time in to him just relying on him to suddenly crack, well if he doesn't it will be too late :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #286 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:45:22 pm »
He likes a breakaway though so if they don't watch out he will be off again tomorrow.

« Reply #287 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:46:18 pm »

The way they're fannying around at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #288 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:56:44 pm »
Why did Andy Schleck not gain two seconds on Voeckler in the GC classification today ? I thought they only got the same time when the gap between the riders was 1 second or under ?

« Reply #289 on: 16 July, 2011, 09:00:06 pm »

Interesting. Why ?

Have a read of this:

http://inrng.com/2011/07/popularity-the-peloton-vs-the-public/#more-4284

I can't help but respect the guy, nevertheless

« Reply #290 on: 16 July, 2011, 09:06:06 pm »
OK I see they don't like him because his tactics are good :)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #291 on: 16 July, 2011, 09:59:51 pm »
That was exciting! And Evans attacked! Almost. I will have to eat my hat...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #292 on: 16 July, 2011, 10:03:18 pm »
That was exciting! And Evans attacked! Almost. I will have to eat my hat...

Almost. He caught himself just in time though.

gonzo

« Reply #293 on: 16 July, 2011, 11:11:03 pm »
Someone else noticed Andy checking over his shoulder for frank repeatedly too. Andy could have blown away the competition today, but didn't want to drop his brother when frank was not having a good day. We might just see a schleck one two for yellow.

« Reply #294 on: 16 July, 2011, 11:31:31 pm »
Someone else noticed Andy checking over his shoulder for frank repeatedly too. Andy could have blown away the competition today, but didn't want to drop his brother when frank was not having a good day. We might just see a schleck one two for yellow.

If either Schleck wants the win badly enough, they're going to have to sacrifice the other's bid.

If we assume that the GC situation doesn't change over the next three stages, one of the GC contender teams has to take the initiative and crank up the pace on the Col d'Izoard to a level that Europcar aren't comfortable with. Then on the Col du Lautaret, Andy needs to stop worrying about his brother having un jour sans and just go for it.

If Voeckler's still in yellow on Friday morning, it's going to have to get ugly on the way to the Alpe, and it's going to have get ugly early.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #295 on: 17 July, 2011, 12:06:58 am »
As is usual with brothers, the youngest is the better rider. Frank seemed to be doing ok today, he attacked first (I think).

Nothing will be decided tomorrow, then a couple of transition stages (breakaways from riders who are well down on GC). I don't know if Contador is planning a takeaway for Monday, but Thursday and Friday will be the big sorting-out days.

I'm very impressed by Voeckler, if he can match Evans and the Schlecks again he's a winner. A French winner!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #296 on: 17 July, 2011, 12:26:20 am »
That was disappointing today. Chapeau to Voeckler, but all the supposed contenders made it far too easy for him. I don't believe he will win outright.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #297 on: 17 July, 2011, 08:03:00 am »
I didn't think it was disappointing at all.  I thought it was normal and careful.  It is too early to bury yourself and kick your legs into several days of pain.  Perhaps years ago they would have but then perhaps more so back then they had different 'preparations' to help them recover.  I thought it was interesting watching Andy Schleck and Frank testing the other GC contenders.  The real surprise was Basso.  I thought in the lead up that he had crashed and was very poorly and out of form.  Either that was true and he has magically recovered or it was smoke and mirrors to keep the pressure off him.

gonzo

« Reply #298 on: 17 July, 2011, 08:33:49 am »

If either Schleck wants the win badly enough, they're going to have to sacrifice the other's bid.

If we assume that the GC situation doesn't change over the next three stages, one of the GC contender teams has to take the initiative and crank up the pace on the Col d'Izoard to a level that Europcar aren't comfortable with. Then on the Col du Lautaret, Andy needs to stop worrying about his brother having un jour sans and just go for it.

We've only seen 2 days of real mountain finishes. On the last, Frank gained about 20 seconds on the other main GC contenders. Yesterday, the  stage was EVIL. I'm guessing that Frank was just more fatigued he expected. There probably aren't many people who know exactly what Frank's capable of in the mountains and that neither you nor I are are included in that group. Andy probably does know what his brother can do on a good day. I reckon that we'll see Frank ride away on one of the big finishes and brother Andy jump across. End result = unbeatable advantage to both brothers in one stage.

« Reply #299 on: 17 July, 2011, 09:33:00 am »
I wouldn't mind that result at all.  They should look out for each other.  They are close and it would be a great finish for a TdF.