Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 408769 times)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #275 on: 15 August, 2008, 07:12:46 am »
Well done Mike, that strikes me as a cracking time for your first go in somewhat challenging conditions.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #276 on: 20 August, 2008, 05:49:40 pm »
Tonight is the hill climb. Get home, changed, load car. Flat battery.

Car is parked round the corner away from the house, no time to sort it out.

Bugger.

No I can't ride 25 miles in sufficient time and compete.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #277 on: 20 August, 2008, 07:57:20 pm »
My first go tonight...  finally I can add something to this thread!! 

It was out to a roundabout and back, with a [surprisingly large!] hill in the middle with a brisk headwind for the first half. 

It was all a bit of a blur but I realised my goose was well and truely cooked about 10 minutes in when I was struggling to maintain double figures towards the top of the hill, I think I worked much too hard into the headwind going uphill.  From then onwards it was a balancing act, watching my heart rate and trying to keep it in a sensible range (I hit 196, average was 188.  My maximum is 197).

time? - total 29.50 by my watch, after I got to the turn in 16.20 so the second half was 13.30.  Pleased with the second half, but I think if I'd taken 5% off the work in the first part, then I'd have a lot more left towards the end. 

I was waiting at the start and chatting to a couple of others and this guy I vaguely recognise rolls up.  "Evening Hutch", someone says, then I twigged where I'd seen his photo.  He came past at about 10 minutes, having started 3 minutes behind, which was nice.

Well done Mike. I hate that course, there's always a roaring headwind and cars come really close. (and I never do a good time on there  :-[)

Neil

« Reply #278 on: 20 August, 2008, 08:20:17 pm »
My first go tonight...  finally I can add something to this thread!! 

It was out to a roundabout and back, with a [surprisingly large!] hill in the middle with a brisk headwind for the first half. 

It was all a bit of a blur but I realised my goose was well and truely cooked about 10 minutes in when I was struggling to maintain double figures towards the top of the hill, I think I worked much too hard into the headwind going uphill.  From then onwards it was a balancing act, watching my heart rate and trying to keep it in a sensible range (I hit 196, average was 188.  My maximum is 197).

time? - total 29.50 by my watch, after I got to the turn in 16.20 so the second half was 13.30.  Pleased with the second half, but I think if I'd taken 5% off the work in the first part, then I'd have a lot more left towards the end. 

I was waiting at the start and chatting to a couple of others and this guy I vaguely recognise rolls up.  "Evening Hutch", someone says, then I twigged where I'd seen his photo.  He came past at about 10 minutes, having started 3 minutes behind, which was nice.

Well done Mike. I hate that course, there's always a roaring headwind and cars come really close. (and I never do a good time on there  :-[)

Neil

*now* he tells me!  My official time was actually a bit better than I'd measured and - best news of all- I wasnt last!!

Bottisham course tomorrow, will try and pace myself a bit better. 

« Reply #279 on: 20 August, 2008, 09:23:22 pm »

Neil

*now* he tells me!  My official time was actually a bit better than I'd measured and - best news of all- I wasnt last!!

Bottisham course tomorrow, will try and pace myself a bit better. 

The E3/10 is better, it's not an easy course, but I think it's an "honest" course. The trick is not to shoot your bolt over the hill on the way out, it's much less steep on the way back and it tends to be sheltered from the prevailing wind so there's quite a bit of course that isn't as slow as you'd think. The worst bit (IMO) is the final drag after the downhill on the way back - it's into the wind and very slightly uphill so if you haven't kept a little in reserve it's a struggle :-\

Neil

« Reply #280 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:02:03 pm »
Tonights TT cancelled, due to accident on M5 north of Bristol, diversion of all motorway traffic onto the A38, therefore making section of course unsafe for TTing.
Instead those present rode proposed route for next seasons Evening 10s.

« Reply #281 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:03:35 pm »
Did the slower of our club 10s tonight on wet roads with a stiff wind.  Second go at a 10 on my Planet X Stealth and this time I'd cut the bars down and found it a lot more comfortable.  I was also sporting my new aero h*lm*t.

Having pushed hard on what didn't feel like my best legs, I managed to hold off my minute man and crossed the line in 25:13.  This is nearly a minute inside of my solo PB for a 10 and 2 seconds faster than our tandem performance, so the natural order of things is restored for the time being...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #282 on: 20 August, 2008, 11:25:56 pm »

Date             Distance/Time         Course type       Weather conditions            Bike ridden               

05/07/06           10mls/26.39        Rolling  Q10/26     cleardry           Raleigh 76" gear
12/07/06            10 mls/25.38      rolling Q10/26      clear dry          Raleigh 86" gear
21-22/07/07   24hr TT/334           rolling                   cold drizzle     Lambert 72" gear
15/08/07           10mls/26.45        rolling Q10/26      clear dry         Lambert 72" gear
30/03/08             9mls/29.37       Hillyish Qs/30        wet                Lambert 79" gear 
20/04/08           10mls/28.42    Hillyish Q10/3      dry and cold       Lambert 79" gear
26/04/08           10mls/27.09      rolling Q10 /22   warm & sunny   Lambert 76" gear
25/06/08        10mls/27.24        rolling  Q10/26     hot/windy         Lambert 76" gear
28/06/08           10mls/27.16    Hillyish Q10/3      dry and hot        Lambert 79" gear
9/7/08         9mls/30,23    Hilly QS 30   pouring down/windy RonCooper71.22"gear
23/07/08  10mls/25.33 rolling Q10/26  hot & windy           Graham Weigh  83" gear
26/07/08   10mls/25.30  flat       Q10/24   hot /windy                   Graham Weigh 83" gear 
29/07/08   10mls /25.40  rolling Q10/26  hot slight wind              Graham weigh 83" gear
6/8/08       10mls / 25.10  rolling Q10/26  hot                     Graham Weigh  88" gear
13/08/08    10mls/26.04         rolling Q10/26  very windy             Graham Weigh 88" gear

Another windy night just starting to rain towards the end, legs felt cramped on the hilly stretch out but livened up for the spinfest back.

20/08/08   10mls/26.11       Rolling Q10/26   very windy              Graham Weigh  88" gear

Last one for this year, I must lose weight for next year.

Bexley evening ten results
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #283 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:11:16 pm »
I only rode a few club 10s this year. If we can keep this thread going all winter, I'm going to feel compelled to make more of an effort next season :D

David Martin

« Reply #284 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:14:46 pm »
I only rode a few club 10s this year. If we can keep this thread going all winter, I'm going to feel compelled to make more of an effort next season :D

That was me last year... This year I have achieved my target of ten events (I've ridden 11 and one to go, not including the club hill climb and boxing day 10). Next year I aim to do a 25 and some of the club APR.

..d

« Reply #285 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:17:02 pm »
I started this year, on my 15-yr old fixed. We're getting better -- I have learnt a lot -- and I have realised I need a bigger gear to get faster now. I should do my last 10 tonight and have 2 25s coming to conclude the "season". It's been great fun! Bring on the 25' and 24' next year I say!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #286 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:18:24 pm »
My brother's riding a 10 mile TT in Fife this Sunday. I'm going up to get some pics (and try out his new 'Stealth'). I'll be taking my bike up, so will undoubtedly get some odd looks as I rock up on a most-definitely-not-TT bike.

« Reply #287 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:20:50 pm »
My brother's riding a 10 mile TT in Fife this Sunday. I'm going up to get some pics (and try out his new 'Stealth'). I'll be taking my bike up, so will undoubtedly get some odd looks as I rock up on a most-definitely-not-TT bike.

I ride my old Orbit track... It how you ride that counts.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #288 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:28:21 pm »
What with preparing for the 24h, I nearly got sucked into the 'proper' TT bike trap this year.

If I ride any next year it will be with whatever bike I rode to work on that day (usually the same slow one). I'm never going to win any, so it's just me against the clock.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #289 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:30:43 pm »

I ride my old Orbit track... It how you ride that counts.

That's my problem...  :-[

« Reply #290 on: 21 August, 2008, 08:08:22 pm »
2nd ever TT tonight, which I managed to pace much better.  If anything, I slightly under-cooked it but after exploding 5 minutes in last week, I was determined to make it to the finish able to see!

I think my time was just under 28 minutes.  Chuffed.

« Reply #291 on: 22 August, 2008, 08:47:58 am »
Bl**dy hell! I am a disgrace.  :-[

I took my fast audax bike to the last club TT and posted one of my worse times ever in 27'. The first and the last time I take a geared bike. I was never in the right gear/tempo and felt I was bouncing on the bike; maybe I am not used to it and of course I had no tri-bars etc. ? Okay I was a bit tired too <excuses, excuses...> and the course isn't that fast, but I was really surprised by that time.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #292 on: 22 August, 2008, 11:36:49 am »

I took my fast audax bike to the last club TT and posted one of my worse times ever in 27'. The first and the last time I take a geared bike. I was never in the right gear/tempo and felt I was bouncing on the bike; maybe I am not used to it and of course I had no tri-bars etc. ? Okay I was a bit tired too <excuses, excuses...> and the course isn't that fast, but I was really surprised by that time.

What was the weather like Frenchie??

If you look at my times on the same course windy weather can make a minute or mores difference on the time.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #293 on: 22 August, 2008, 02:07:15 pm »
I'm sure I've posted faster times in windier weather (we live in the EM after all where it is often windy!). I was really, really surprised. Maybe I was tired; maybe it was the position on the bike, although I remember lying low on the drops...  ??? One to forget because I felt I had given a lot on top of it all!

David Martin

« Reply #294 on: 22 August, 2008, 10:28:51 pm »

So that is the tri bar minute down on your usual time on a bike that is race unfamiliar?
Sounds reasonable to me.

..d

« Reply #295 on: 22 August, 2008, 10:31:50 pm »

So that is the tri bar minute down on your usual time on a bike that is race unfamiliar?
Sounds reasonable to me.

I don't always use tri-bars on the fixed and those I have are cheap short extensions; but I guess they help as you point out. I was really disappointed as I felt I had tried very hard on the geared bike, using big gears (bigger than on my fixed), but found it surprisingly hard! I was more knackered than I usually am.

It poured cold water on my dream of a geared TT bike!  ;D But I have been thinking about a fast fixed low rider too...  :o

gonzo

« Reply #296 on: 24 August, 2008, 09:14:15 am »
I switched to my TT bike from my road bike at the start of the TT season without enough practice in the correct position and posted some terrible times. I switched back to my road bike (which was quicker than the TT bike!) and trained in the TT bike position on the turbo. When I'd got used o the position, I went back to the TT bike and starting knocking 1 minute+ off the road bike time.

You can't base your entire future opinion on one off tests!

The advantages of a TT bike;
- Very close gears so you can always get the gear you want
- Shifters on the end of the bars; you're more likely to shift if your hands are resting on the shifters
- Then all the positioning, reduced drag stuff that'll make you faster.

David Martin

« Reply #297 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »
The final event, and the fastest.

I covered the first mile in 2:10 and it is flat! (ish, slightly rolling) (and there was a monster tailwind).

Yup, end of season 1 mile sprint. Highest finish of the year at 11th, and looking forward to next year. Fastest on the night was 1.48.4

One rider DQ'd for swearing at the starter.

..d

« Reply #298 on: 28 August, 2008, 06:56:05 pm »
missed tonights TT thanks to idiot customers, but here's a pic of me coming round the half-way roundabout last week:

« Reply #299 on: 28 August, 2008, 09:01:24 pm »
Did a 0:00 in the last club 10 on Tuesday. Turned up. No-one else did. Got the last event wrong - it was last week :-[