Author Topic: Can you really beat a Brompton?  (Read 24514 times)

Flying_Monkey

Can you really beat a Brompton?
« on: 19 May, 2008, 09:45:35 pm »
My wife and I have been looking to get a folder. My wife is big into design (she was trained as an architect  ::-) ) and loves the basic Brompton design. I do too, but I'm also practical  :) . We've had a good look, and although there are many cheaper things around, nothing seems to have the straight up good design of the Brompton. Before we pay more, is there really nothing better for the money?  ???

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Can you really beat a Brompton?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:55:07 pm »
Folds smaller/better - no
Rides better/has flashier equipment - perhaps

Virtually nothing folds smaller and those that do can be dubious in other ways (A-bike, etc).  The Dahon Curve is nearly as small, everything else is larger.  I'm not a fan of the Dahon fold though.  You will always be able to keep your Brompton running, unlike the small parts nightmare of some other brands.

Bias alert: Have had Bromptons in the house for seven years.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:01:20 pm »
For the ride, as well as the design, I'd choose a Dahon. Good equipment, much more modern design and a good enough ride to tackle long distances comfortably. The only thing a Brompton would beat it on is the fold, but this was not the key for me. I own a Dahon Helios P8 (now Mu P8 which I would recommend).
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2008, 07:58:37 am »
I've posted before that I'm a big fan of the Mezzo (I have one myself).
But I'm a complete gadget nut, and I love the way it folds and everything clicks together.
It folds just as fast and nearly as small as a Brompton. And it takes standard components.
It rides really nice. Just like a big bike.
I've never ridden a Brompton, so I can't comment on ride comparison.
Have a look at one before you decide.
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2008, 09:22:41 am »
God no, that Mezzo is horrible. ;) Sorry, I had a look and it is a design disaster! I don't like the way the Dahons look much either, and the Mu-P8 is a derailleur geared model - for a folder this seems like a recipe for disaster and rather unnecessary too. Hub gears definitely...

...any other options?

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2008, 09:27:17 am »
... I have ever had one "moment" with my derailleur on the Helios, and it wasn't a big problem at all in fact. I am sure though, that some models come with hubgears. Check on the Dahon website.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2008, 09:31:39 am »
All folders will ride a bit oddly compared to a full size bike.

What swung it for me is that from what I can tell, Brompton owners are the only ones who fold their bikes up when they could just lean their bikes against a wall.  The fold is THAT good.

Riding one is a hoot - they're comfortable, nimble and in town, about as fast as you'll ever need.  Unless money was an issue, I'd always say get a Brommie.  They're a design classic that's been refined over the years, but never beaten by anyone else.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2008, 10:05:46 am »
One more for the Brommie.

Basically, all that Charlotte said. Mine lives in the back of the car for those all too frequent episodes when the traffic snarls up and I HAVE to get to work. It clips along nicely with good acceleration. I have done the whole trip home (40 miles ) on one occasion but have been banned from doing it again! It can be a little twitchy compared to full size but then my lightweight road bike is twitchy compared to my crosser with its bigger tyres. Nothing that you won't get used within a few minutes.
One thing- I would be inclined to fit Schwalbe Marathon tyres. 1500+ miles to date and only one flat - and I think that was a dodgy valve.
I couldn't not have one!  :thumbsup:

I have only experienced one other folder: a Land Rover Freelander (badged Dahon) . The fold was awkward and not too compact, while the handling was not fantastic. 
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2008, 10:15:56 am »
Another vote for the Brompton here! And don't let anyone tell you they are no good for cycling long distances: it's my audax bike.

One thing- I would be inclined to fit Schwalbe Marathon tyres. 1500+ miles to date and only one flat

Definitely fit the Schwalbe Marathons: 4000 miles or so with only one flat for me (on my first 200k audax, irritatingly...)

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2008, 10:33:17 am »
God no, that Mezzo is horrible. ;) Sorry, I had a look and it is a design disaster! I don't like the way the Dahons look much either, and the Mu-P8 is a derailleur geared model - for a folder this seems like a recipe for disaster and rather unnecessary too. Hub gears definitely...

...any other options?

That's OK. Beauty is in the eye... and all that.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind...
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:28:15 am »
Well, the point of the thread was to ask whether there is anything I had missed that might be a challenge to the Brompton - you're certainly right that this is the way I am leaning. I hadn't seen the Mezzo, so thanks for pointing it out.

« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:53:01 am »
If you've got some money to spend you could go for an Airnimal or an Alex Moulton - both fantastic bicycles by any standard, but really the focus here is on ride quality - which is excellent, but at a price!. For all round practicality I'd say a Brompton is hard to beat. I've had one for about 5 or 6 years and it's great for zipping around town, getting on trains, keeping indoors etc. etc.

« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2008, 12:06:42 pm »
I went for the Brompton as I needed the small fold.

I was amazed at the ride quality and to be honest don't find it any worse than a proper bike.  It's way above the ride quality of most other folders I've tried.  I've ridden it 60 or 70 miles on a few occasions now.

What swung it for me is that from what I can tell, Brompton owners are the only ones who fold their bikes up when they could just lean their bikes against a wall.  The fold is THAT good.

Why bother leaning it against a wall when it's got a built in stand?  (The back wheel flipped under)

bikenerd

« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2008, 12:45:08 pm »
If you've got some money to spend you could go for an Airnimal or an Alex Moulton - both fantastic bicycles by any standard, but really the focus here is on ride quality - which is excellent, but at a price!. For all round practicality I'd say a Brompton is hard to beat. I've had one for about 5 or 6 years and it's great for zipping around town, getting on trains, keeping indoors etc. etc.

The Alex Moulton doesn't fold: it separates in two.  My Moulton APB fills the boot of our Skoda Fabia, when separated, so it's not exactly a compact folding bike.
I like the look of the Birdy but the fold looks a lot more complicated than a Brompton.  If I was mixed mode transporting, i.e. hopping on trains or buses with a bike, then I'd definitely get a Brompton, as it has the easiest and most compact fold.  The Dahon isn't far behind.  If I wanted a bike that I can pack away easily, in a car boot or on a narrow boat, then I'd look at Birdies, the Dahon mini bikes, Moulton TSRs (of course!) and also Bromptons.

CathH

« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2008, 12:52:45 pm »
And don't let anyone tell you they are no good for cycling long distances: it's my audax bike.

Respect... what gearing do you have on it?

« Reply #15 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:08:10 pm »
And don't let anyone tell you they are no good for cycling long distances: it's my audax bike.
Respect... what gearing do you have on it?

It was originally a T6, but I've added a Schlumpf Speed Drive so it now has 12 gears. The bike shop tell me I now have something like 40-109 gear inches (I've not done the calculation myself).

The new gears are nice for speeding down hills, but the best change I ever made to it was definitely adding Cane Creek bar ends...

Duncan

PS tkatzir did PBP on his!

CathH

« Reply #16 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:15:25 pm »
That's a nice piece of kit.  Clever.

« Reply #17 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:32:11 pm »
I must not have ridden the same Brompton: Mine was bouncy, with stupid handlebars, wouldn't climb well. In contrast, the frame of the Helios P8 is a dream and good eneough to climb in the Peak District, albeit slowly. Bar ends are a good idea as are Marathon tyres (stock on the Dahon) indeed. The only thing I changed was the saddle: Too soft for the original, so I got a racing saddle on and it is great. All within £500 as well, including guards and a usable rack.

« Reply #18 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:38:55 pm »
...wouldn't climb well. ...

Mrs Nutty went from being a non-cyclist to learning to balance, to getting a Brompton and riding UP Cheddar Gorge.   

I've never had a problem climbing hills either.

« Reply #19 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:43:35 pm »

Mrs Nutty went from being a non-cyclist to learning to balance, to getting a Brompton and riding UP Cheddar Gorge.   

Out of the saddle?!

« Reply #20 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:47:32 pm »
In or out, doesn't matter.  I just ride up the hill.

« Reply #21 on: 20 May, 2008, 02:02:35 pm »
I use one around London and it handles fine. It's a little more twitchy than big wheels when riding hand(s) off, but nothing serious. A factory Moulton AM I tried many years ago was twitchier.

Pedalling higher cadences can get a bit bouncy if you're not very smooth. The 3-speed hub on ours has too wide a set of ratios.

The fold is excellent. The rear wheel fold-under is useful by itself.

If I was buying one for myself I'd probably go for the the 2 speed with straight bars.

No punctures so far with the Schwalbes.

« Reply #22 on: 20 May, 2008, 02:35:56 pm »
This is deteriotating into a why we love Bromptons thread... I think the answer to the original question is no :-)

Si

« Reply #23 on: 20 May, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

Out of the saddle?!

Yes, I know where Frenchie is coming from......had a test ride of a Brommie up the hill in Coleshill.....had to stop half way up because I thought thatthe bars were going to break given the way that they were flexing!

I've since been told that they've improved the bars a bit.

Anyhoo, you can beat a Brompton.....with  a Steve Parry Brompton

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #24 on: 20 May, 2008, 02:59:08 pm »
It has made me think I should at least ride a Dahon. But I really don't like the design - and in the end, my wife really wants a design classic and something that is made in the UK...