Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 426579 times)

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #1150 on: 08 January, 2014, 08:34:32 am »
Many thanks, Henry!

I think rides of less than 200km have plenty of merit at this time of year anyway  :)

Good encouragement for some kind of a ride today. And also intrigued by CET's "50X100km" idea on another thread.

...but pretty sure I will be off the treadmill soon with a hernia operation.

I've probably mentioned this before... but in case it's any help: had a hernia op when already quite a lot older than you, felt bad for a few days, and fragile for a couple of months... but did take up Audaxing not long after that.

« Reply #1151 on: 11 January, 2014, 09:24:48 pm »
1st one Completed today, subject to validation

10-02-13  Bedford Bumble                 200k
30-03-13  Double Dutch                     200k
06-04-13  3 Down                             300k
11-05-13  Asparagus & Strawberries   400k
08-06-13  Flitchbikes                         200k
13-07-13  Buzzard                             600k
10-08-13  Rutland Ramble                  200k
21-09-13  Chris Negus Memorial         200k
05-10-13  The AAAnfractuous             200k
23-11-13  DIY Permanent                  200k
08-12-13  The Winter Boat Trip          200k
11-01-14  DIY Permanent                  200k (subject to validation)

« Reply #1152 on: 11 January, 2014, 10:46:15 pm »
Just complete a second RTY, last one halted at the eleventh hour(month) by a lady looking the wrong way at a mini round about hey ho!!. I suppose it is onwards and (not) upwards now, don't we just love chasing the irrelavent? ???
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/w7bEcYT/]

[/url]

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1153 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:03:02 pm »
Well done I cycle on your first! And jcbike on your second!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #1154 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:43:16 pm »
Well done I cycle on your first! And jcbike on your second!

+1

I kicked off 2014 with a lumpy DIY 200 on Saturday, riding with mds101 most of the way and we were joined by a galloping horse for 3 or 4 km in Rutland.

« Reply #1155 on: 19 January, 2014, 08:02:48 am »
I think I could have a go at this one - looks like a fun game  ;D

December - Kings and Castles 200 km from Tewkesbury
January - Mr Pickwicks January Sale 200 km from Tewksbury

I think I will get some DIY permanents organised for later in the year  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #1156 on: 19 January, 2014, 08:21:30 am »

No! Never!
Do not enter. It's a trap and you will never escape. One year leads to another, then another. It never ends.
 ;)

« Reply #1157 on: 19 January, 2014, 08:24:40 am »
The Willy Warmer yesterday makes month 11 (the Pickwick would have if I hadn't DNF'd). Can't wait for the cloth badge. Then it will be "as I've signed up for five years, do I carry on for the x5 badge?".
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1158 on: 19 January, 2014, 08:26:21 am »
What teethgrinder says +1

Run while you can! It is the crack cocaine of Audax.

No - it's a great way of motivating yourself out on the bike at least once a month.  You've got a couple of the harder winter months done now - so keep it going!

Meanwhile, I stepped off the treadmill in October following my third year of it.  I appear to have three months of a new one done.   :facepalm:
Right! What's next?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1159 on: 19 January, 2014, 08:29:20 am »
The Willy Warmer yesterday makes month 11 (the Pickwick would have if I hadn't DNF'd). Can't wait for the cloth badge. Then it will be "as I've signed up for five years, do I carry on for the x5 badge?".

Good work - keep on going!

RRtY is actually one of my prouder achievements in Audax - it is, in many ways, harder than doing an SR and can really test you, particularly over the winter months. 
Right! What's next?

Phil W

« Reply #1160 on: 19 January, 2014, 10:25:04 am »
RRTY definitely feels like I'm cycling round a hamster wheel.  I've got 2 more to reach my first RRTY then this years SR bookings will get another going up to June. It'll then be summer and I'll think, it's warm lets keep going, then it'll be autumn and I'll think may as well complete it, then it'll be PBP year.  I can easily see how one RRTY leas to another.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1161 on: 19 January, 2014, 06:39:16 pm »
02 March 2013 Kennet Valley Run 200
20 April Heart of England 300
01 May Israel 1000
09 June Ditchling Devil 200
28 July LEL 1400
10 Aug Rough Diamond 300
29 Sept Last Chance Dales Dance 200
06 Oct l'Eroica 200
02 Nov Upper Thames 200
08 Dec Winter Boat Trip 200
18 Jan 2014 Willy Warmer 200
16 Feb Burford Bumble 200 (EDIT)

I think that might be #6 for me, if Mr RRTY decides to count l'Eroica. I'll find out when the official claim goes in.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1162 on: 19 January, 2014, 09:40:15 pm »
I started yesterday with the Willy Warmer 200,  and have just signed up for the Burford Bumble 200 in Feb.....

It's just a cold..... I can stop at any time   :) :facepalm:

John

mikewigley

« Reply #1163 on: 20 January, 2014, 12:25:31 pm »
RRTY definitely feels like I'm cycling round a hamster wheel.  I've got 2 more to reach my first RRTY then this years SR bookings will get another going up to June. It'll then be summer and I'll think, it's warm lets keep going, then it'll be autumn and I'll think may as well complete it, then it'll be PBP year.  I can easily see how one RRTY leas to another.

Just step away from the bike now and nobody will get hurt

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1164 on: 21 January, 2014, 12:05:03 am »

RRtY is actually one of my prouder achievements in Audax - it is, in many ways, harder than doing an SR and can really test you, particularly over the winter months.

This is how challenging this game can be:

Biggest problem today was staying safe when forward vision was made difficult by the low sun reflecting off the road and puddles. I wore my driving sun glasses which soften the glare but internal reflections in the glass compounded the problem. Then, there were folk walking on my side in my direction in dark clothing. And a kid on a bike deciding a puddle on my side would make a good splash pool so cuts straight across my path. Two joggers trying to cross the road in front of me and finally, at night, a car at a junction on the Left decides not to see my bright light and comes straight out on to my road. Fortunately, I sensed this and moved out; the driver must have had a shock when he saw a mass of reflectives just miss his bonnet. He stopped; I continued, thinking what could have been.

But it really was a grand day to be out; wall to wall sun and no wind. I elected to ride my Cotswolds & Mendips Grimpeur 200 as my 3rd 200 for January to keep up a planned run of 12 of this 2.75AAA route; this being the 4th. Not easy as it heads South, so an overcast day might have been better. But when a January forecast provides no rain and sun with decent temperatures, you need to combat the glare or ride West or North. The surface water from recent flooding and overnight rain created damp roads with much surface water, though fortunately nothing deeper than rim height. The lane from Sherston to Littleton Drew was particularly bad for surface puddling and laying mud; certainly nasty for a night ride; there is an alternative using the Fosse to Grittleton, which I know to be a good road. The continuous mix of steep hills drains you and I deliberately ensured I was nibbling well before a climb. My reward at West Harptree was tea and cakes with friend Jill, before venturing on to the night run to Keynsham and home.

RRTY No 20 is now serious, today’s ride =No 3.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #1165 on: 21 January, 2014, 07:57:37 am »

No! Never!
Do not enter. It's a trap and you will never escape. One year leads to another, then another. It never ends.
 ;)

Even when you think you have kicked the habit and had some time off, it will come back to bite you.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #1166 on: 26 January, 2014, 02:23:33 pm »
Another one to tick off - just 2 to go for RRTY now...

April 13 - Two Battles 200 (Tamworth) :thumbsup:
May 13 - Cambrian Series 3A perm (300)  :thumbsup:
June 13 - The National 400 (Tiverton)  :thumbsup:
July 13 - The Buzzard 600 (Leighton Buzzard -  SR yay)  :thumbsup:
August 13 - Dr Foster's Summer Saunter (Cardiff)  :thumbsup:
Sept 13 - Wem We Get There 200 (Tamworth)  :thumbsup:
               Border castles Randonne 200
               Ferryside Fish Foray 200
Oct 13 - Gower Getter 200
Nov 13 - Transporter 200  :thumbsup:
Dec 13  Monmouthshire Meander  :thumbsup:    good one this time very satisfying ride
Jan 14 - Dr Foster's Winter Warmer  :thumbsup:  Hmm, same comment as last time.  Must be improving my technique  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #1167 on: 26 January, 2014, 02:33:43 pm »
Well done Sir!

(Only 5 days to go now, and I'll have done two months of my NotaRRTY.)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #1168 on: 30 January, 2014, 10:09:22 am »
Even when you think you have kicked the habit and had some time off, it will come back to bite you.

I took six weeks off and rode my first 2014 audax yesterday: cold, wet, windy, floods, tired (started at 3.30am), etc.  Cambridge to the coast and back.  Feeling it today: winter fitness isn't the same as summer fitness.  But that's ride 6 of 12 done – when will it ever end?
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #1169 on: 30 January, 2014, 12:47:13 pm »
I rode a fairly hellish 200 DIY on Tuesday. Pouring rain for most of it bar about 3 hours. A headwind for around 100k solid. Wet feet right from the start (forgot waterproof overshoes, neoprene ones got waterlogged after an hour of heavy rain).

At a couple of points I was really close to packing it in. Some hot food and a cuppa buoyed me up a bit and with a tailwind on the last 40k or so I managed to finish (just) in time.

Two months to go.

P.S.:- I will never trust the BBC weather forecast again. I was supposed to ride on Monday, looked at the forecast - heavy rain, decided to postpone. Monday dry all day, even a bit of sun, no wind. Tuesday was my last chance this month due to work commitments, forecast mostly dry a few showers, bit of wind. Actual weather led to widespread (minor) flooding some of which I rode through...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #1170 on: 01 February, 2014, 06:51:19 pm »
A hard day for me today, so a well earned Feb 200 km leaving me lots of time to think about one for March  :thumbsup:

December - Kings and Castles 200 km from Tewkesbury
January - Mr Pickwicks January Sale 200 km from Tewkesbury
February - Sam Wellers Day Trip 200 km from Tewkesbury
Does not play well with others

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1171 on: 03 February, 2014, 11:41:03 am »
We've reached the all important 50% mark with a ride yesterday of Tim's new LOL (London-Oxford-London) perm checking out the route sheet.

September - Flatlands
October - ECE Stevenage Emit
November - DIY London-Norwich
December - Boat Trip
January - Poor Student

With the flooding on the PS and yesterday's jaunt we are also 2 months into our sub-aqua log!

And why did we have a lazy August after LEL? We could have been at 67% if we hadn't been so slack...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1172 on: 03 February, 2014, 02:46:19 pm »
Very satisfying to use a weather window to claim RRTY18-11, having secured 20-3 2 weeks ago. My Banbury Cross 200 Perm makes a super Winter route and yesterday was a doddle with no flooded roads. Hopefully, Feb and March will as huge relief as Spring and Summer creep in.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #1173 on: 03 February, 2014, 03:23:43 pm »
My first 12 months as an AUK member ticked over in December when I also finished my RRTY - I was relieved to have completed it....However, I've just noticed that since then I've completed the Poor Student in Jan and ECEd the Windrush Winter Warmup in Feb...

I seem to be up to 14 in a row - how do I stop?  :facepalm:

« Reply #1174 on: 03 February, 2014, 03:44:10 pm »
My first 12 months as an AUK member ticked over in December when I also finished my RRTY - I was relieved to have completed it....However, I've just noticed that since then I've completed the Poor Student in Jan and ECEd the Windrush Winter Warmup in Feb...

I seem to be up to 14 in a row - how do I stop?  :facepalm:

my bold    with great difficulty,

and then it is only temporary.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot