Author Topic: Man shoots woman in incident.  (Read 23661 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Oscar Pistorious shoots his girlfriend in incident.
« Reply #25 on: 14 February, 2013, 07:15:41 pm »
You were right; that was an extremely humourless reply.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #26 on: 14 February, 2013, 07:19:25 pm »
Rightly so. A young woman being shot in the head, in what looks like a domestic, isnt  funny.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 14 February, 2013, 07:27:54 pm »
So all humour should be sweetness and light? Gets a bit boring after a while.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #28 on: 14 February, 2013, 07:34:37 pm »
Two lives one lost one damaged forever.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Oscar Pistorious shoots his girlfriend in accident
« Reply #29 on: 14 February, 2013, 07:41:38 pm »
He's now reported to have been charged with murder.

Can we have the pre-judging thread title changed, please?
it's standard legal procedure to charge someone with the most serious offence that seems possible at the time.  You can't step up manslaughter to murder later.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #30 on: 15 February, 2013, 01:16:50 am »
It being late and after a particularly shitty newspaper decided to post a particularly shitty front page I decided to have a wee chat with their newsdesk.

I had a shortish conversation with a mostly polite person.  I registered my disapproval of their very, very unpleasant front page for tomorrow/today and after explaining that I found the image they chose to use very sexist and offensive, I was told, "She was a model".

I said "She's dead, do you really think that picture is appropriate to run with that story?"

Don't really know how to follow that other than still really, really not liking it. I'm deliberately not linking to it although you will doubtless see it shortly in newsagents and elsewhere.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #31 on: 15 February, 2013, 07:53:40 am »
If anyone would like to complain about that rag's front page today, you can email dominic.mohan@the-sun.co.uk or phone the news desk on 0207 782 4104.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Oscar Pistorious shoots his girlfriend in incident.
« Reply #32 on: 15 February, 2013, 08:41:03 am »
So all humour should be sweetness and light? Gets a bit boring after a while.

Not as boring as everyone instantly taking to twitter to trot out the same banal, hackneyed, unfunny jokes.

I don't consider any subject off-limits for humour but I'm yet to hear a Pistorius gag that deserved an airing. If someone can come up with a genuinely funny, clever joke about this story, go for it. Personally, I can't see the humorous angle.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Man shoots woman in incident.
« Reply #33 on: 15 February, 2013, 11:25:41 am »
I'm baffled as to why the blanket media coverage of this story is going with the "apparently accidental" line.  Surely that's up to the authorities to determine.

I suppose it would be massively insensitive to suggest that if he's trying to claim mistaken identity, he's not got a leg to stand on?

*inarticulate nyagggh noise*   

Okay, fair points - thank you for calling me on it.

I shouldn't post what I immediately think - despite this being thousands of miles from South Africa, my immediate attempt at a puerile sense of humour still has the ability to offend more locally  :-[
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #34 on: 15 February, 2013, 12:01:33 pm »
I thought that Pistolius was good. YMMV

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #35 on: 15 February, 2013, 01:43:32 pm »
Thanks Charlotte, your reply is appreciated. Sorry for being a bit *raaage* it's just a lot like the objectification of women thing but with disability and many of us including disabled people are not yet very good at recognising and fixing it.  FWIW I'm still trying to replace moron in my vocab and have just about manage to eliminate "retard" and variants. 

barakta

« Reply #36 on: 15 February, 2013, 01:48:52 pm »

At least this "joke" isn't sexist and disablist it's more of a pun on Pistorius's name. 

However it still makes it all about Pistorius the killer (accidental or otherwise) and makes it sound masculine and "cool" rather than tragic and sad at best and horrible and evil at worst. 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 16 February, 2013, 11:57:25 pm »

At least this "joke" isn't sexist and disablist it's more of a pun on Pistorius's name. 

However it still makes it all about Pistorius the killer (accidental or otherwise) and makes it sound masculine and "cool" rather than tragic and sad at best and horrible and evil at worst.

You get that from a pun between a name and a gun? I don't. It is an appropriate pun because he shot somebody.

I'm glad I don't think like you.No doubt you are glad you don't think like me.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #38 on: 17 February, 2013, 10:06:25 am »

Whatever. It's still a joke that came from the fact a man shot and killed a woman. There's nothing funny about it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #39 on: 17 February, 2013, 10:18:08 am »
Surely, this thread doesn't belong on this board. The fact that the killer is famous, and for sport, is incidental. It's a Big Issue with strong political elements to it and the tone of the discussion reflects that. No-one is talking about sport.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #40 on: 17 February, 2013, 10:50:56 am »
I doubt he'll be running for another Paralympic medal next time...

« Reply #41 on: 17 February, 2013, 10:55:28 am »
Should he be convicted, they could force him to pay his way by making him run to pay for his upkeep. A sort of Roman Gladiator idea. 'The World Convict Games'. I can can see it having legs.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #42 on: 17 February, 2013, 11:43:10 am »
If it hadn't been for sport then there would have been no relationship and no story.

We could move the thread to the Modelling board?
It is simpler than it looks.

barakta

« Reply #43 on: 17 February, 2013, 04:07:08 pm »
Whatever. It's still a joke that came from the fact a man shot and killed a woman. There's nothing funny about it.

Quite, if Pistorius was a marksman of some kind or did something actually cool and clever with a gun (I dunno won a non killing things gun competition) then Pistolius would be potentially funny and clever. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 17 February, 2013, 04:27:26 pm »
Some jokes on this topic will be more/less tasteless, depending on your POV. Some will be crap - even totally PC cracker jokes can be crap.

You will never stop people making jokes about unpleasant/tragic issues-n-incidents. I don't think "man shoots woman" will be the topic that bucks this trend. My honest opinion is that it would be bad to stop such jokes (even if it were possible).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #45 on: 17 February, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »

You get that from a pun between a name and a gun? I don't. It is an appropriate pun because he shot somebody.

I don't even begin to see how that joke makes out that guns, shooting or this whole sorry affair are masculine, cool or anything else that is remotely positive.

red marley

« Reply #46 on: 17 February, 2013, 09:00:48 pm »
I don't even begin to see how that joke makes out that guns, shooting or this whole sorry affair are masculine, cool or anything else that is remotely positive.

Because it's all about "man is gun", "gun is man". The sort of thing hollywood churns out by the bucketload day by day. The sort of thing Bruce Willis gets paid millions of dollars to make look cool and masculine.

Only this time, a real person was killed. A person who's had the indignity of being objectified and marginalised within hours of her death, largely because she was female.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #47 on: 17 February, 2013, 09:29:02 pm »

Because it's all about "man is gun", "gun is man". The sort of thing hollywood churns out by the bucketload day by day. The sort of thing Bruce Willis gets paid millions of dollars to make look cool and masculine.

Only this time, a real person was killed. A person who's had the indignity of being objectified and marginalised within hours of her death, largely because she was female.

For that to work, it would need to be presented as a good thing that he shot her, which "Pistolius" simply doesn't do.  There's no logical link there.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #48 on: 17 February, 2013, 09:32:30 pm »
Pistolius would be just as appropriate if he had shot a man.

« Reply #49 on: 17 February, 2013, 09:41:51 pm »
Quite apart from the fact that domestic abuse resulting in the violent and bloody death of a woman doesn't seem funny at all to me, these jokes are lame.  Really lame.  Pathetic, in fact.