Author Topic: Phil and Paul no more  (Read 2472 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Phil and Paul no more
« on: 02 December, 2018, 08:30:34 pm »
Farewell to Paul Sherwin. He was part of the soundtrack of my youth learning to race bikes in Oz, presenting post-midnight highlights of the Tour.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

Re: RIP Paul Sherwen
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2018, 08:44:40 pm »
He was still racing when I started watching, returning to the UK to ride for Raleigh.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2018, 08:45:33 pm »
Only 62. That’s no age.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 02 December, 2018, 08:51:07 pm »
Younger than me.  He was a tough rider. 

« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:45:41 pm »
Not only an exceptional rider and commentator, but also a generous and genuine person. I can attest that he supported and helped other UK teams and riders trying it out on the Continent. He was quick to praise and took time for those who knew him. A sad loss.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2018, 11:16:35 pm »
Packed up his suitcase of courage for the last time  :(

« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2018, 12:17:54 am »
I love the story of how Sherwen crashed in the first km of a mountain stage, but continued to ride despite it being obvious he was going to be way over the time limit. The Commissaires admired his courage and determination so much, they didn't eliminate him....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2018, 02:03:51 am »
very sad. I'll miss his banter with Phil L. his warmth shone through the cathode ray tube
often lost.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2018, 08:09:53 am »
Aged just 62. No details as yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/46422048
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:48:58 am »
very sad. I'll miss his banter with Phil L. his warmth shone through the cathode ray tube

I started getting interested in cycling in the 80s when C4 started showing it, and their commentary is a key part of what got me into it. You could tell they both loved the sport.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2018, 11:37:06 am »

I started getting interested in cycling in the 80s when C4 started showing it, and their commentary is a key part of what got me into it. You could tell they both loved the sport.

This.  Evan as a novice fan you could understand what he was saying, he explained the race so clearly and with such passion you couldnt help but be drawn in by it.